Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2020, 05:30 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
I daily drive a turbo RX7 your offsets mean nothing LOL

But yeah no reason to drop all your oil. Just put a rubber plug (or just your finger) in there while you figure out what went wrong. Its not like you're holding anything but a few centimeters of head pressure.
I went (driving the Boxster, NOT the Prius in getting there!) to the drags in Norwalk, OH, a few years ago, and saw a bumper sticker there that caught my eye. It was on something ridiculous and monstrous like a SRT Hellcat, and declared something to the effect of
Thank you Prius owners—I just guzzled down all the gas you saved!
So, having mentioned the wife’s Prius (which I really wouldn’t totally mind if the damn thing just had some leg room!), I sorta expected a response along these lines. I just didn’t know who would be the source. I should have known..

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:03 AM   #122

ALL GOOD NOW...."no runs, no drips, no errors"....LOL It made a big difference when they tightened the drain plug according to the specs!....LOL

Last edited by Rob175; 10-19-2020 at 06:02 AM.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:37 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
I would not bet on that. We have installed a lot of these plugs, torqued them to LN’s specs, and never had a problem with them. That said, we have also seen quite a few that we did not install that had become “problems”. The common denominator between the two seemed to us to be how they were installed. After multiple oil changes (which we did), the plugs we installed looked brand new; the problem plugs brought to us for the most part looked like they had been through a war with Allan flats rounded off, parts of the plug head chewed up, and some in so tight that they must have been installed with a breaker bar.
Does LN supply the Porsche crush washer with their plug? If not I have I have been a very lucky dude..
Old 10-19-2020, 05:52 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Does LN supply the Porsche crush washer with their plug? If not I have I have been a very lucky dude..
I have no idea whose crush washer they use, but I have used the factory crush washers as replacements on the LN plug for years without any issues.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:04 AM   #125

Garage
Quote:
I have no idea whose crush washer they use, but I have used the factory crush washers as replacements on the LN plug for years without any issues.
+1. OEM crush washers from Amazon and proper torque, which I think is stamped on the LN plug.
2001 Boxster 986 (base) #414
-PCA GGR: Class Champion AX12 '18, '19, '20; CC06 '21; CC05 '22; PAX 5th '19, 3rd '20, '21, & '22
-PCA Zone 7: Class Champion P14 '18, '19; P02 '20; P-03 '22; PAX Champion '20 & '21

Last edited by BrantyB; 10-19-2020 at 06:06 AM.
BrantyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #126

Quote:
Thanks JFP....you got it even if I typed that the wrong way...
Old 10-19-2020, 11:41 AM   #127

I just changed the oil on my Subaru yesterday. The drain plug has a 17mm hex so I chucked it in my lathe to countersink a 3/8" OD magnet that I got from our local home improvement store. BTW: I like to add a small smear of liquid teflon on the crush washer at the base of the threads.
Twin headlight Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:44 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin headlight Ernie View Post
I just changed the oil on my Subaru yesterday. The drain plug has a 17mm hex so I chucked it in my lathe to countersink a 3/8" OD magnet that I got from our local home improvement store. BTW: I like to add a small smear of liquid teflon on the crush washer at the base of the threads.
That's a great idea! I guess the only downside is that it may weaken the plug and it could break? But I seriously doubt it because there should still be plenty of meat left on the plug. Did you use any kind of glue or was it a press fit?

BTW, regarding the crush washers, I re-use the ones on my Subarus all the time. Even the parts manager at the dealer once told me that I can get several uses out of one. I don't know if that necessarily applies to the Porsches, but I've done one oil change on mine and I re-used it without any issue. I'm thinking that such a low torque spec on the LN plug may be the primary cause of all these leaks everyone's having.

Last edited by piper6909; 10-19-2020 at 03:49 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote