Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 07:00 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 131
Alternate to the Durametric scanner

Threw a 1341 (cam timing On bank 1) code recently that triggered the CEL. My cheap scanner reported the 1341 but could not clear the CEL. The code was verified at my Porsche shop and their Durametric cleared the CEL. Here is a cheap scanner that appears could work on my 2000 Boxster. Anyone have any experience with it or another that can turn of a CEL?

https://www.amazon.com/iCarsoft-Diagnostic-Scanner-PORSCHE-Service/dp/B07F3918N7

Btw in case anyone has seen a 1341.... I installed a remanufactured engine In my 2000 2.7 car last fall. But the motor had been sitting in a garage a few years before I bought it. Am already seeing signs of failing gaskets that probably dried out; tiny leaks in water pump and Thermostat. Am hoping this 1341 problem is the cam sensor or Solenoid. The last time the CEL went on was after spinning the engine up to 5500 rpm. Fingers crossed it isnít the cam.

sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Woodland Wa
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkjeld View Post
Threw a 1341 (cam timing On bank 1) code recently that triggered the CEL. My cheap scanner reported the 1341 but could not clear the CEL. The code was verified at my Porsche shop and their Durametric cleared the CEL. Here is a cheap scanner that appears could work on my 2000 Boxster. Anyone have any experience with it or another that can turn of a CEL?

https://www.amazon.com/iCarsoft-Diagnostic-Scanner-PORSCHE-Service/dp/B07F3918N7

Btw in case anyone has seen a 1341.... I installed a remanufactured engine In my 2000 2.7 car last fall. But the motor had been sitting in a garage a few years before I bought it. Am already seeing signs of failing gaskets that probably dried out; tiny leaks in water pump and Thermostat. Am hoping this 1341 problem is the cam sensor or Solenoid. The last time the CEL went on was after spinning the engine up to 5500 rpm. Fingers crossed it isn’t the cam.
check out the foxwell NT520 line of scanners. Mine does almost everything the Durametric can do. Can't enable cruise control on my 2000S but can do everything else the Durametric Pro can do on my 2000S.
I think the Foxwell cost me $175.00 My Durametric Pro $700.00 + if I remember correctly and you need a laptop.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
check out the foxwell NT520 line of scanners. Mine does almost everything the Durametric can do. Can't enable cruise control on my 2000S but can do everything else the Durametric Pro can do on my 2000S.
I think the Foxwell cost me $175.00 My Durametric Pro $700.00 + if I remember correctly and you need a laptop.
Great, just what I was looking for! Thanks.
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:49 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Brian Minson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 59
You can rent the Durametric unit, that is what I did when I was chasing down issues. For $50 for 10 days it was worth it for me. Here is where i rented mine from.

https://youtu.be/NA1uVKkiH44

Brian
Brian Minson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:31 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Marbella, Spain
Posts: 7
I use the icarsoft. Works fine for my Cayenne and Boxster. For the Classic Porsches I have another scanner.
993turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:52 PM   #6
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,595
Garage
If you look at icarsoft, you probably want to get this one:
iCarsoft Auto Diagnostic Scanner POR V2.0 for Porsche with ABS Scan,Oil Service Reset ect https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F2WF96Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_LF8gFbTK1T89M
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:14 AM   #7
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"
 
10/10ths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: The Road
Posts: 818
+1 on the Foxwell.
__________________
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:46 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
+1 on the Foxwell.
I just received the Foxwell. I havenít done much with it except clearing the CEL. Certainly easy to use.
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:50 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 137
I just purchased an icarscan (not icarsoft) unit that will be coming in a few days. Will report back on how it works.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
rflores2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:14 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 10
Garage
Is Durametric the only one that can enable the OBC on a 2000 Boxster? I have an iCarsoft i960 that I believe can only read and clear codes.
Goldenzrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:51 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Woodland Wa
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenzrule View Post
Is Durametric the only one that can enable the OBC on a 2000 Boxster? I have an iCarsoft i960 that I believe can only read and clear codes.
As far as I know that is correct.
I have both the foxwell and the Durametric.
The foxwell can not.
That is on my 2000 S.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #12
A Porsche Guy
 
1PorscheBoxster986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: 0į
Posts: 129
I have a Durametric and a cheap bluetooth OBD2 reader I use for my other cars. I'm curious what some of the reasons are you guys chose the Foxwell/ ICarsoft/something else over the Durametric for your Porsche? We'll skip what I think is the obvious that the Durametric doesn't work on other car manufacturers as most of us have other vehicles. If that is the only reason though please state that.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:50 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Woodland Wa
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
I have a Durametric and a cheap bluetooth OBD2 reader I use for my other cars. I'm curious what some of the reasons are you guys chose the Foxwell/ ICarsoft/something else over the Durametric for your Porsche? We'll skip what I think is the obvious that the Durametric doesn't work on other car manufacturers as most of us have other vehicles. If that is the only reason though please state that.
I chose the Foxwell as my first scanner because for $175.00 shipped. It can do everything on my 2000 S that the durametric can do. Except enable the cruise control and the OBC.
It can read any OBDII of any manufacture sold in the U.S.
For around $60.00 per manufacture I can down load from Foxwell direct to the scanner
any manufactures priority coding.
So say I pay the $60.00 and down load the Honda program.
Now I can do all the testing and activations on any Honda.
Just like you can with a Durametric on the Porsche.
Things like testing your fuel injectors, radiator fans, heater door flap operation, engine fan, etc,etc.
If a Honda is throwing say a transmission trouble code which is not an OBDII code
but a Honda code the Foxwell will read and reset it. Or the airbag code and reset it.

It also shows OBDII live data including reading wideband O2 sensors which are used as pre cat sensors on limited models of various manufactures.
It will also show the additional short term fuel correction derived from the post cat O2 sensor signal when a wideband pre cat sensor is used. As opposed to a narrow band Pre cat sensor where there is no additional short term fuel correction from the post cat sensor signal.
Narrow band O2 sensors are most commonly used as pre and post cat sensors.

The only reason I own the Durametric is because I installed cruise control on my 2000S.
I took it to one shop where they screwed around with my car for four hours and couldn't figure out how to enable it.
Every dealer I called except one told me it could not be done and that I had no idea what I was talking about. The one dealer told me the ECU would have to be programed and the cost would be $350.00
So I bought the Durametric Pro and did it myself.
Otherwise I would not have purchased the Durametric.


Last edited by blue62; 07-27-2020 at 01:01 PM.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page