View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 12:50 PM   #13
blue62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
I have a Durametric and a cheap bluetooth OBD2 reader I use for my other cars. I'm curious what some of the reasons are you guys chose the Foxwell/ ICarsoft/something else over the Durametric for your Porsche? We'll skip what I think is the obvious that the Durametric doesn't work on other car manufacturers as most of us have other vehicles. If that is the only reason though please state that.
I chose the Foxwell as my first scanner because for $175.00 shipped. It can do everything on my 2000 S that the durametric can do. Except enable the cruise control and the OBC.
It can read any OBDII of any manufacture sold in the U.S.
For around $60.00 per manufacture I can down load from Foxwell direct to the scanner
any manufactures priority coding.
So say I pay the $60.00 and down load the Honda program.
Now I can do all the testing and activations on any Honda.
Just like you can with a Durametric on the Porsche.
Things like testing your fuel injectors, radiator fans, heater door flap operation, engine fan, etc,etc.
If a Honda is throwing say a transmission trouble code which is not an OBDII code
but a Honda code the Foxwell will read and reset it. Or the airbag code and reset it.

It also shows OBDII live data including reading wideband O2 sensors which are used as pre cat sensors on limited models of various manufactures.
It will also show the additional short term fuel correction derived from the post cat O2 sensor signal when a wideband pre cat sensor is used. As opposed to a narrow band Pre cat sensor where there is no additional short term fuel correction from the post cat sensor signal.
Narrow band O2 sensors are most commonly used as pre and post cat sensors.

The only reason I own the Durametric is because I installed cruise control on my 2000S.
I took it to one shop where they screwed around with my car for four hours and couldn't figure out how to enable it.
Every dealer I called except one told me it could not be done and that I had no idea what I was talking about. The one dealer told me the ECU would have to be programed and the cost would be $350.00
So I bought the Durametric Pro and did it myself.
Otherwise I would not have purchased the Durametric.

Last edited by blue62; 07-27-2020 at 01:01 PM.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote