Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #1

Engine "reconditioned" by Porsche

Hi all,

I just bought a 2001 Boxster S. I really like this thing. I got many service records with the car. The engine was replaced under warranty in 2005 because of oil in the coolant. I guess it was one of the porous blocks that got through.

My question is about the replacement engine, which is referred to on the dealer work order as "reconditioned". It has the AT in the engine number, meaning (the way I understand it) that Porsche did the rebuild.

Does anyone know how much was done to these motors by Porsche? Were they rebuilt from stem to stern, or did they just fix whatever problem(s) the engine had?

I can't find any info on these engines. Any insight will be much appreciated.

willw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:59 PM   #2

I'm also interested into having a bit more info on these engines.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #3
A Porsche Guy

I know this isn't your question. Is that what the dealer records show in the work order as cause for rebuilt? You said you guess. You have a 2001 so your engine should not have been affected by engine porosity. To my knowledge, a solution for a redesign casting started in the late 99-00 period to fix this issue. AT on the engine does means rebuilt engine. What is the exact reason for the rebuilt?

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 07-06-2020 at 04:26 PM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:00 PM   #4

My car build date is 12/00. The first page of the work order says coolant found in oil. A little further down it says oil found in coolant reservoir. Replacement OK'd by someone. The reason for the problem is not stated on the work order.
Replacement engine # is M96/21AT67165040.

Last edited by willw; 07-06-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:26 AM   #5

The intermix may have been caused by a cracked cylinder head .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:16 AM   #6

You may be right about the cylinder head. Not a popular problem, but it is out there.

Now, about that engine reconditioned by the mother ship...
Old 07-07-2020, 04:24 AM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
My understanding is that Porsche does not rebuild and return your motor, but rather provides a factory rebuilt motor that was returned earlier by another customer. This is done to reduce downtime. The motor is rebuilt to new tolerances.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:06 AM   #8

Thanks, Paul.

It appears that these engines are a mystery. I knew it had a rebuilt motor when I bought it, but was curious about the extent that Porsche reconditions them. Rings, bearings, chains? Do they put the latest updates on them? Do they have mileage limitation on the ones they recondition? No one seems to know. I assume they know what they are doing, I guess. Or maybe just the cheapest way to satisfy a customer. It runs great and is clean underneath. The oil filter was clean. I am happy. Ignorance is bliss.

Last edited by willw; 07-07-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:39 AM   #9
A Porsche Guy

These M96 engines were Porsche first water-cooled engines. There were revisions made to address common and/or future issues during the production cycle. I think the % of engines that were affected were so small so this information is hard to gather.

As Paul mentioned, Porsche will sent out a refurbished engine to the dealership and the techs just install it. The dealership might not have the information on the refurbished engine and what was done to it before. The engine was covered under warranty as you stated so the car wasn't abused or tracked enough if any for Porsche to deny the warranty under abuse.

The cracked cylinder heads affected some S and 996 engines which resulted in the coolant/engine oil intermix as rfuerst911sc stated. This is more likely than the engine porosity for your year.

Whatever Porsche did to the engine must have been the latest shop revision at that time to fix it and pass a thorough inspection.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 07-07-2020 at 01:46 PM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

To the best of my knowledge, no one really knows the standard or specification (for condition and tolerances) to determine the work performed or parts replaced on a M96 Porsche factory reconditioned engine.

Again, to the best of my knowledge Porsche started with a used engine (maybe running, maybe not running, maybe with some engine failure) and based on a teardown inspection replaced whatever parts were required to return the engine to this unknown definition of acceptable condition and tolerances. Then they shipped it out to a dealer for retrofit.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:09 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
My understanding is that Porsche does not rebuild and return your motor, but rather provides a factory rebuilt motor that was returned earlier by another customer. This is done to reduce downtime. The motor is rebuilt to new tolerances.
Not the cylinders.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Not the cylinders.
I read somewhere once where I believe either Jake Raby or Charles Navarro took apart some "factory rebuilt" M96 engines and that person reported all of these engines had new cases. Whoever that was said it was because there was no way to make the cylinder bores in the used engine cases perfectly round again because of the cylinder bore coating (alusil?) and how it wears. Of course I can't find that article now.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:40 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I read somewhere once where I believe either Jake Raby or Charles Navarro took apart some "factory rebuilt" M96 engines and that person reported all of these engines had new cases. Whoever that was said it was because there was no way to make the cylinder bores in the used engine cases perfectly round again because of the cylinder bore coating (alusil?) and how it wears. Of course I can't find that article now.
Yes, if the cylinders were obviously worn too much they would replace the cases.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:05 AM   #14

If these engines have new cases, then probably a lot of new internal wear items, as well. Good info. Thanks.