Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2020, 12:00 PM   #1

Should I convert my top to manual operation?

I've been dealing with an annoyingly intermittent top on my '99 Boxster and it's gotten to the point where I never lower it anymore because I'm afraid it will get stuck down. Or, when I do try it, it often doesn't work to begin with

I've inspected the usual suspects:

Latch microswitch seems ok - windows roll down when I unlatch
Handbrake microswitch seems ok - light illuminates on the dash
I've taken out the relay and banged it on the ground a few times
Fuses seem ok

I press the switch and nothing happens at all.

Kind of annoyed by it, and have seen how simple the top is to operate manually in some videos. My questions are these:

If you've converted to manual, do you have any regrets?
Is it easy to convert it back to automatic operation in the future?

Spirit_RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:09 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I have done it temporarily on a couple cars. No harm done and it makes the car enjoyable until you have the time and inspiration to fix it correctly.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:54 PM   #3

Garage
One of the "push rods" for my top was bent (by a previous owner) and I tried straightening it but it would still pop off the ball pin. So I just removed both push rods. The clamshell is still powered so I don't have to worry about it rattling around. Sounds like your situation is different if you can't get anything to work. No regrets, if someone wants to fiddle with it someday it is reversible.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:04 PM   #4

Just made a first attempt at disconnecting the ball joints. I can feel where the clamshell pushrod connects to the transmission crank arm, but I cannot locate the plastic ball joint (top connection) to remove it. I felt around for like 10 minutes and couldn't locate it. It seems like its accessible when the top is down (per the manual)..unfortunately my top is stuck in the up position. Has anyone figured a way to remove the ball joint without lowering the top?
Old 06-14-2020, 01:42 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_RE View Post
... Has anyone figured a way to remove the ball joint without lowering the top?
I think this one is my most popular video:

I removed the bolt that holds the arms onto the transmission after I gave up on the ball.

In another case, I used a long screwdriver to pop the locking clip off of the clamshell. I'll see if I have a pic that shows that.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:58 PM   #6

Garage
I had some pics on my computer. This shows the clip that can be removed with a long screwdriver. First pic is looking back, over the engine. second pic is looking forward with the clamshell slightly raised.

Old 06-14-2020, 02:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I had some pics on my computer. This shows the clip that can be removed with a long screwdriver. First pic is looking back, over the engine. second pic is looking forward with the clamshell slightly raised.

Ha! I already saw your video...I was hoping that I could avoid doing this as it seems like more faffing about than the ball joint. But it appears that Porsche did not design the top to be easily lowered when it's not working!
Old 06-14-2020, 04:34 PM   #8

Well this is discouraging. I don't have a 19mm socket, and try as I might I cannot find the ball joint.

What's even more discouraging is that the whole reason I'm trying to operate the top is to get to the engine, so that I can replace the MAF, so that I can smog the car, so I can DRIVE the car.

So because Porsche decided that the only way to access the engine is for a system made of multiple fuses, multiple microswitches that are prone to failure, a complex relay prone to failure, and a complex electric motor drive system with various linkages prone to failure, all to be working 100%, my car is effectively undrivable. There isn't a backup plan. Why did anyone think that was a good idea? Even AUDI convertible tops have mechanical top operation backups. Why Porsche? So do I spend $200 to get a relay on the off chance that it might be the problem? Pay $200 just to access the engine. Unbelievable.

Last edited by Spirit_RE; 06-14-2020 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:22 PM   #9

Garage
One simple thing to try. Your car is a 1999 and in the 1999 that I used to make that video, the problem ended up being the *second* micro-switch in the top latch. The later models have one switch up there, but I found out that the '99s have two. One drops the windows and the other allows the top to operate. In mine, the plastic that holds the micro switches in place had come a little loose.

With the brake set and top unlatched, try poking a finger in the top latch and pressing/moving it around while holding the top switch to open. It's a long shot, but costs nothing and needs no tools.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:39 PM   #10

No joy. Nothing happens, no light dimming, no clicking, nada.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:15 PM   #11

The top is easy to operate manually. The PO converted it before I bought it but have me all the parts. I recently got the top working again.

I have a 98, so assuming the details are the same. There are two more micro switches in mine. One behind the drivers side (NA spec car) left shoulder. And one that senses of the clamshell is closed. My microswitches at the latch by the windshield was in good shape.

The clamshell microswitch was actually dislodged from the bracket that holds the top drive motor. I reaffixed this switch. That was part of the problem.

The switch over my shoulder was what was preventing the roof from operating properly. Have a posting on here with it. Strange issue. Turns out that all I needed to do was adjust everything properly again. Note that older boxsters have this microswitch. Newer ones have the micro switches built into the top transmission. Also, the older boxster transmission main drive gears are 1/2 moon gear, as opposed to full rounds gear (if that makes sense). It relies on the microswitch measuring the tops location to control the drive properly. If the roof isn't adjusted properly and microswitch does not switch the motor off, then the transmission gear could turn too far and be "out of teeth". Then nothing happens even if you hear the motor turn.

Also, check both your drive cables from the motor to the transmission. Mine were good. Also check the linkages. The ball joint on the end of one of the arms is a weak link. Cheap replacements are available..

It's way harder to explain than it actually is. I just started taking stuff apart and figuring it out. Seeing I was in manual anyways, I didn't see the risks.

PM me if you want more details.

Last edited by Zzorro; 06-14-2020 at 06:18 PM.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:31 PM   #12

Can you be more specific about the "over the shoulder" switch? Any pictures? I can't find anything about it.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:09 AM   #13
Will there be cake?

Garage
i converted to manual last year and never looked back. I can drop the top in 5 seconds. NOTE: the clamshell "bounces" sometimes over bumps which is annoying and jarring. I am considering some soft rubber back there to soften the noise, but would like to hear some suggestions from others.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:10 AM   #14

for those that removed everything from the mechanism, did you take any actions to keep the clamshell from lifting?
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:01 AM   #15

I keep seeing this video on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dsoV3tNz_M

It's a 987, yes, but it seems to solve the clamshell issue. The cars are very very similar, I wonder if this could work for a 986?

I'm going to buy a 19mm socket today and go to town on those transmission bolts.

Last edited by Spirit_RE; 06-15-2020 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:00 AM   #16

here's a translated page (original is in Japanese) on the instructions from that video: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&tab=TT&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmonoblogue.nikomat.org%2Farticle%2F 184996223.html
Old 06-15-2020, 05:02 PM   #17
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
I keep seeing this video on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dsoV3tNz_M

It's a 987, yes, but it seems to solve the clamshell issue. The cars are very very similar, I wonder if this could work for a 986?

I'm going to buy a 19mm socket today and go to town on those transmission bolts.

On my 986, I don’t need to open the trunk, I grab the front of the clamshell and lift. So much easier then parking brake, waiting, etc. etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:25 PM   #18

I rebuilt and lubricated mine over the winter. It works better than ever probably like when new. It was not that complicated or expensive. If you were going to buy another boxster what would you rather have the factory functional push button top. Or some 50 year old British sports car version
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:05 AM   #19
MYRX

I converted to manual operation 2 weeks ago. The top on my 2000 S was stuck in the closed/up position. I used a 19mm socket and separated the bracket from the transmission on both sides. It wasn't easy. Opening and closing the top is easy in the manual mode. I have a top dash light that is staying on. My next project is to jump out the light. As for now, I am enjoying driving with the top down. What I do in the future remains undecided. Not sure that I wish to spend the money to replace a transmission and bent push rod.
MYRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Can you be more specific about the "over the shoulder" switch? Any pictures? I can't find anything about it.
Video here. About 1/2 way thru your get an idea of where the switch is.
https://youtu.be/57yfndEJDsY

The switch is accessible by removing the interior piece just behind the door. The switch has a "leaver" and rides the top frame as it moves. Good picture of it here.
Convertible top Install problems Help !

If you have a later model Boxster, you don't have this switch. This is for older model boxsters. Not certain of what year they made the switch.

Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote