View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 06:15 PM   #11
Zzorro

The top is easy to operate manually. The PO converted it before I bought it but have me all the parts. I recently got the top working again.

I have a 98, so assuming the details are the same. There are two more micro switches in mine. One behind the drivers side (NA spec car) left shoulder. And one that senses of the clamshell is closed. My microswitches at the latch by the windshield was in good shape.

The clamshell microswitch was actually dislodged from the bracket that holds the top drive motor. I reaffixed this switch. That was part of the problem.

The switch over my shoulder was what was preventing the roof from operating properly. Have a posting on here with it. Strange issue. Turns out that all I needed to do was adjust everything properly again. Note that older boxsters have this microswitch. Newer ones have the micro switches built into the top transmission. Also, the older boxster transmission main drive gears are 1/2 moon gear, as opposed to full rounds gear (if that makes sense). It relies on the microswitch measuring the tops location to control the drive properly. If the roof isn't adjusted properly and microswitch does not switch the motor off, then the transmission gear could turn too far and be "out of teeth". Then nothing happens even if you hear the motor turn.

Also, check both your drive cables from the motor to the transmission. Mine were good. Also check the linkages. The ball joint on the end of one of the arms is a weak link. Cheap replacements are available..

It's way harder to explain than it actually is. I just started taking stuff apart and figuring it out. Seeing I was in manual anyways, I didn't see the risks.

PM me if you want more details.

Last edited by Zzorro; 06-14-2020 at 06:18 PM.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote