Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2020, 05:08 PM   #1

I cranked up my Boxster today for the first time in a year

I cranked up my Boxster today for the first time in a year... it was AWESOME! It has been up on Jackstands for most of the last year, and then transitioned to hub stands, so it hasn't been on its own 4 wheels in a year.

I got my original seats out of storage, put them back in the car after vacuuming up all the leaves and little bits of stuff that get under there. There was a lot... I had aluminum track mats and there was a decent amount of crushed up leaves and bits of stuff...

Then I cranked it up... ROAR!

Now... It is still up on my hub stands, but now that the seats are in, all I need to do is align it and I can get back on the road... I can't wait. I'm going to try and do that this week.

Impressions:
  • The stock Boxster seats feel sooo good, I have been riding on the Recaro Profi XL for so long (which is a great seat) but the stock Boxster seats felt so soft. They feel softer than my Cayman stock seats did
  • The sound - the Fister exhaust on the Boxster combined with mid test pipes sounded soooo good. Much more raspy and snarly than my Cayman exhaust, which is all stock except it has the Fister mod too, but that mod is much milder at idle than the Boxster version

This is kind of a lame thread with no pics so I will try and add a few the next time I get down there to work on it....

I'm just really excited :dance:

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:19 PM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Damn, you drove yours less than I drove mine.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:43 PM   #3

Steve man...I am in the same boat mine has been sitting for 1.5!!

I will be cranking on the starter every week until I get my dash back in...then the Fister will punch. This exhaust let's you hear every nuance of rough nasty post hibernated idle

Not a lame thread at all........I might have to become a you tuber to document the occasion
Old 04-20-2020, 07:46 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Steve, good to hear that you're back in the Boxster business!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Steve, good to hear that you're back in the Boxster business!
Yes! I was going to "sell" it now that I have the Cayman, but I already had one tentative offer that I declined. I just couldn't do it

Now that I am back working from home during Corona, I'm not carpooling with my wife anymore so she takes the FJ and I will use the Boxster for my car, the Cayman now has track seats, roll bar, etc... which causes it to not be as much fun to just jump in for a short drive about town.

It was cool yesterday morning because we had thunderstorms, all I wanted to do was go for a drive with the top down but I couldn't

I'm taking this Friday off work and going to see if I can't get that Boxster back on the road!
Old 04-21-2020, 06:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Steve man...I am in the same boat mine has been sitting for 1.5!!

I will be cranking on the starter every week until I get my dash back in...then the Fister will punch. This exhaust let's you hear every nuance of rough nasty post hibernated idle

Not a lame thread at all........I might have to become a you tuber to document the occasion
The Fister exhaust is pretty awesome

I made a video when I first put it on, but it overdrove the integral camera microphone and there was audio clipping and distortion. I have a a different camera with external mic now, so I might make a new video.

It's a lot of work making videos, my hat's off to NewArt and TT Gator and others that make the fully produced videos. Even just my track videos are work and they don't have nearly the editing and so forth of those other ones. If you make a video I will surely watch it!
Old 04-21-2020, 07:59 AM   #7

would love to hear the fister exhaust, if i do any exhaust mod to my car that's what i would go with. Just need to bite the bullet.
dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:00 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav9515 View Post
would love to hear the fister exhaust, if i do any exhaust mod to my car that's what i would go with. Just need to bite the bullet.
It’s on my “list” too I have a TopSpeed exhaust on right now but my OEM exhaust is sitting in the attic waiting for me to just do it. I guess the biggest issue is the shipping part. What are you guys using to ship it?
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
It’s on my “list” too I have a TopSpeed exhaust on right now but my OEM exhaust is sitting in the attic waiting for me to just do it. I guess the biggest issue is the shipping part. What are you guys using to ship it?
I get a discount through my work for UPS but the last time I shipped a muffler (when I did the Fister mod to my Cayman muffler) Shipnerd actually beat the price I could get. I would try them and see what rates they have.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav9515 View Post
Here's one by CrisZenithBlue

https://youtu.be/w1Efeluufu8

Here's mine (with clipping )

https://youtu.be/-gRXfxJOGjU

Here's some pics in this thread:
FD Motorsports Fister exhaust for 986 Boxster report
Old 04-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I get a discount through my work for UPS but the last time I shipped a muffler (when I did the Fister mod to my Cayman muffler) Shipnerd actually beat the price I could get. I would try them and see what rates they have.
Thanks! What did you use for a box?
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 04-21-2020, 12:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Thanks! What did you use for a box?
I had a box from somewhere for the Cayman version, but for my Boxster exhaust, I think I got a couple of heavy duty moving boxes from Lowe's or Home Depot, and kind of fabricated a box.

They have several sizes. Pretty cheap and thick. I can't remember if I chained a couple together, or if I just folded it around the exhaust and made a box that way. It has been a few years so I don't recall. I do recall that I have made a lot of boxes for shipping things like a BK bar by laying it on the ground and "wrapping" one of these Lowe's or Home Depot boxes around to make a square or rectangle.

One thing I did do on my Boxster exhaust was cut off the two hangers for the OEM secondary cat pipes. I do remember that made it a lot easier to get it boxed up. I don't need them for the test pipes I run.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #13

Garage
Thanks
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 04-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #14

The clips posted by Steve are accurate. Mine sounds exactly like the CZB clip ontop.

The snap crackle and pop is a bit clipped but you can just hear it along with some burble.

May not be to everyones taste but I am addicted and cant go back to stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Here's one by CrisZenithBlue

https://youtu.be/w1Efeluufu8

Here's mine (with clipping )

https://youtu.be/-gRXfxJOGjU

Here's some pics in this thread:
FD Motorsports Fister exhaust for 986 Boxster report
Old 04-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Damn, you drove yours less than I drove mine.
I'm going to make up for lost time and good seeing you a few months back at Werks
Old 04-22-2020, 05:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
The clips posted by Steve are accurate. Mine sounds exactly like the CZB clip ontop.

The snap crackle and pop is a bit clipped but you can just hear it along with some burble.

May not be to everyones taste but I am addicted and cant go back to stock.
The cool thing too is if you are top down or windows open you hear all that glorious sound even at idle and low revs. But no drone at all even with Windows up.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #17

Rear camber and toe is set and everything torqued back there.

Moving to the front after lunch, camber set already, need to set toe (son going to hold the steering wheel straight), and then get it all buttoned up and hope to go for a ride :-)
Old 04-24-2020, 12:30 PM   #18

I'm back on the road, just got back from a 45 drive! It was awesome! Only one minor squeal on tight right turns that sounds like a brake shield rubbing the rotor, although I hope that doesn't mean play in the wheel bearings. Oil change coming up so I'll see if I can find that squeal...

Old 05-09-2020, 12:23 AM   #19

Steve! hope all is well sir. was just going through some old emails i had saved from you and was wondering what you were up to. now i learn you're running a Cayman, i gotta look into that
Good to see you got the Boxster on the road. I've been using mine a lot less lately but getting back on it. Work, life and a 90' Caddy Brougham project kept me busy. I had that same feeling when starting it back up and that exhaust setup is just so engaging. I took it out for a spin during these corona times and man, can it make some sweet noise and help you disconnect. Pretty solid video there, sounds very similar even though you have the bigger displacement.

I'm gonna do some digging to see your Cayman, otherwise i'll have to bother you over email for some photos

CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote