Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2020, 11:10 AM   #41
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_wheels View Post
TO - are saying that although Porsche never admitted officially to this IMSB defect, it replaced engines that were destroyed by it with same engines with same defect and did not try to fix this ?
Cynically speaking, yes.

Quote:

was the LN Engineering fix already available in 2008 ?
It didn't matter to Porsche if it was available in 2008. (I'm assuming that this was the year the engine was replaced.) Porsche wouldn't use an aftermarket product on their engines anyhow. Even if you brought your Boxster into the dealership today for an IMS bearing replacement, they would use the same spec bearing from 2004.

I think it's pretty obvious that you are concerned about the IMSB issue. Take heart in knowing that you do not have the engine that originally failed. And you do not know why it failed. For the first four years of its life, it could have been mistreated or not serviced at all.

The replacement engine, so far, has lasted twice as long, timewise, as the original engine. The replacement engine is newer than the original, and may have a better Porsche spec bearing from a different supplier.

If you maintain it properly, it could last a VERY long time. Check this forum for proven, proper maintenance. Basically change the oil every 5K miles with a high quality oil. Drive it every day; make sure it gets up to temp. Wind it up, shift at 4K or better. Never let it go under 2K on the tach. You don't necessarily have to "drive it like you stole it", just drive it like you know you're going to get the ticket, but you want to make the cop work for it.

Just sayin'...........

TO

p.s. I was kidding about the "make the cop work for it" bit.

Last edited by TeamOxford; 04-07-2020 at 11:26 AM.
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:45 PM   #42

Thanks TO, appreciate the information and the tips.

You are correct in my concern of the IMSB as this car has done ~56k miles now,
If I assume a new engine was put in it when car had ~22k miles, now it has done ~34k miles.

I intend to maintain it well,
regarding when to shift, haven't thought about that,
I definitely don't shift at very high RPM, probably around 3-4k
and I drive it gently (did not have the time yet to really see what this beast does).
ty_wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:55 AM   #43
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Forgive me for digressing for a moment. So, 2000-2002 engines are designated M96.22 and 2003-2004 engines are M96.23. If both versions have single-row IMS bearings, what's the difference?

Number of chains?

Can an M96.23 engine replace an M96.22?
The 2003 2004 had variocam plus, a newer version of the variocam in earlier engines. Someone may want to verify that.

Last edited by paulofto; 04-08-2020 at 06:58 AM.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:37 AM   #44
jcp

This thread has been an interesting learning experience for me. Itsnotanova's post about the bolt heads used in certain engines caused me to check my engines serial number. Sure enough, it has AT in it. The car is a '99 base with 65000 on it. I am the fourth owner. I checked Carfax during the purchase and it didn't show an engine change. Since I haven't found any stray particles in the oil or filter, I'll just drive it and see if anything changes.
This site is absolutely the best for a first time Porsche owner. Thanks to everyone that has contributed to it.
jcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:44 AM   #45
Damn Yankee

Garage
Hey ty,
Is this your Boxster?

Just wonderin'..........

TO

Last edited by TeamOxford; 04-11-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:19 PM   #46

affirmative
Old 04-08-2020, 07:37 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp View Post
This thread has been an interesting learning experience for me. Itsnotanova's post about the bolt heads used in certain engines caused me to check my engines serial number. Sure enough, it has AT in it. The car is a '99 base with 65000 on it. I am the fourth owner. I checked Carfax during the purchase and it didn't show an engine change. Since I haven't found any stray particles in the oil or filter, I'll just drive it and see if anything changes.
This site is absolutely the best for a first time Porsche owner. Thanks to everyone that has contributed to it.
Not surprising about having a replacement engine. 99s had lots of problems with D Chunking - sections of cylinder walls would crumble off. It was most prevalent in MY 99.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:53 AM   #48

TO - you wrote :

- make sure it gets up to temp. Wind it up, shift at 4K or better. Never let it go under 2K on the tach

when you switch gears after you start the engine (cold start), you do not rev it to 4K until the engine has not warmed up ?

(to me warmed up is the needle is on the 8 in the 180)
Old 04-14-2020, 10:54 AM   #49
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
TO - you wrote :

- make sure it gets up to temp. Wind it up, shift at 4K or better. Never let it go under 2K on the tach

when you switch gears after you start the engine (cold start), you do not rev it to 4K until the engine has not warmed up ?

(to me warmed up is the needle is on the 8 in the 180)
That's correct. 4K after warmup (180 degrees). Shift between 2K and 3K during warmup.

Some members warm up their Porsches stationary. I warm up while moving, being careful to just gradually squeeze the throttle until the engine is up to temp.

Just sayin'..........

TO
Old 04-15-2020, 08:10 AM   #50

thanks TO, much appreciated !!!