Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2020, 05:08 PM   #121

I'm working one day every four, doing checks on commercial buildings. Looking for intruders, damage, signs of forced entry, water leaks, etc. I'm also spending lots of time in my shop trying to get my engine swap project further along and doing spring cleaning in my yard. Gives me a bit of normality in the midst of all the hubbub I'm subjected to from various sources. Very therapeutic, for me anyway. Stay safe everyone!

Old 03-27-2020, 05:21 PM   #122
Certified Boxster Addict

Over many years, many threads, and many posts, I have never done this before: I just messaged the Mod and asked him to close this thread.

I was hoping that it would provide a means for us to connect with each other in a time of great stress and concern. To those who shared their story, thank you. I learned a lot about your life beyond the Boxster and that was pretty cool.

However, it also devolved into far too many political arguments and a couple of personal attacks.

Thanks to those who tried to bring it back on topic.

Let's all move on...

Tom H. Stone
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
Old 03-27-2020, 07:08 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Glad to see you still have it. Have you been doing anything with/to your car during the 'quarantine'?
sorry didnt mean to be rude like Dr. Trump. I have barely driven the car these last two years. It's only a weekend car and my parents health crisis pretty much means I'm on a plane right after work Friday night.
I went from logging about 10k miles a year on the car to about 1k. Although at one point there my mechanic held onto my car for a very long time (partly my fault for being too busy with more pressing things) and when I finally got it back it was in such unsatisfactory condition that it made me too angry to expend any of my limited time on. I had to have the headers replaced with all four new 02 sensors, a new alternator (large $4k bill so far), the cam position sensor (an apparently difficult repair) and my newly replaced front rotors and pads were rusted into the park position...in the dead of winter. My father was back in the hosptial a few days later so I didnt even get into with my mechanic. I drove it up and down these closed off backstreets near my home to break loose the rust. they'll need to be replaced or machined. I have a mechanic neighbor who offered to help address this but we're all in lock down now.

Oh and some guy in an SUV backed into me as he was pulling out of a parking space in this strip mall and tried to flee the scene. I gave chase and got his plates. The cop screwed up the accident report which the fugitive's insurance GEICO used to get out of accepting responsibility. I managed to get surveillance video of the fugitive's escape but the angle didnt get the actual impact or his license plate. My insurance wants me to pay the deductible but I can't bring myself to pay for another's criminality. I may take him to small claims just to ruin his day.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-27-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:43 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
While he was giving his Liar-side chat, We reached 100,000 confirmed cases. The most of any country in the world. This started 3 months ago on the other side of the world..
One of my best friends who is an ardent stable genius (his words not mine) supporter has been arguing with me that this will not end up being a high death count or high ventilator use situation. I never take a strong position on first time catastrophic events. But I pointed out to him that the testing center in Secaucus, NJ have just reported a 64% positive rate for its first round of testing (highly infectious? Roger that). He argued that "yeah but a million or two deaths worst case is ridiculous and alarmist". Yeah a million or two dead would be incomprehensible. But I pointed out to him that of the nation's 330 million people about 80% live in urban areas or their immediate suburbs. That's ~264 million. About 70% of Americans are over 18. So maybe 185 million adults live in cities or their suburbs? Say 25% of these urbans and suburbans test positive you're at ~46.2 million. if the mortality rate is "only" 1% for COVID-19 you've got 460,000 dead in a low social distancing scenario. A 40% positive rate gets you to 740,000 dead. So any death rate above 1% in urban or geriatric centers will be a big problem.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-27-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:22 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
And staying "hydrated":

Splitting wood in March? Or is just a reason to drink Yuengling? I so miss that beer. I need someone with a Trans Am and a big rig to bring me a trailer of that beer to Texas. Shiner is good but Yuengling is better.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:51 AM   #126
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
sorry didnt mean to be rude like Dr. Trump. I have barely driven the car these last two years. It's only a weekend car and my parents health crisis pretty much means I'm on a plane right after work Friday night.
I went from logging about 10k miles a year on the car to about 1k. Although at one point there my mechanic held onto my car for a very long time (partly my fault for being too busy with more pressing things) and when I finally got it back it was in such unsatisfactory condition that it made me too angry to expend any of my limited time on. I had to have the headers replaced with all four new 02 sensors, a new alternator (large $4k bill so far), the cam position sensor (an apparently difficult repair) and my newly replaced front rotors and pads were rusted into the park position...in the dead of winter. My father was back in the hosptial a few days later so I didnt even get into with my mechanic. I drove it up and down these closed off backstreets near my home to break loose the rust. they'll need to be replaced or machined. I have a mechanic neighbor who offered to help address this but we're all in lock down now.

Oh and some guy in an SUV backed into me as he was pulling out of a parking space in this strip mall and tried to flee the scene. I gave chase and got his plates. The cop screwed up the accident report which the fugitive's insurance GEICO used to get out of accepting responsibility. I managed to get surveillance video of the fugitive's escape but the angle didnt get the actual impact or his license plate. My insurance wants me to pay the deductible but I can't bring myself to pay for another's criminality. I may take him to small claims just to ruin his day.
I'll get him to pay for the damage. Guaranteed, or your money back. PM me if you're intrigued.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:28 AM   #127

Thanks Tom.
It was a noble effort but it seems everything has to be political nowadays, including Porsches. It's too bad we can't put our differences aside to discuss something as mundane as a car. And it's not just this thread. Our forum has lost its sense of family. Sure, we've had our differences and spats from time to time, but nothing like this, which seems to have become a 24/7, non-stop, full time fist fight. Maybe we should use our time in quarantine to reflect on how we can be better forum members before we start losing valuable members tired of all the bickering and politics.

Tom, I was going to post asking whether you'd ever had a thread locked by the Mod. At least you can claim a 1st with this one. But I'm sure a solid member like Tom is not taking a lot of pride with this 1st.

Please everyone stay safe, continue to self quarantine and social distance. For those of you and your loved ones who are fighting the battle for us, a heart-felt thank you to all of you and the hope you all come out whole when this is over.

Happy motoring.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 03-28-2020 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:33 AM   #128
jcp

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Thanks Tom.
For those of you and your loved ones who are fighting the battle for us, a heart-felt thank you to all of you and the hope you all come out whole when this is over.

Happy motoring.
A big thumbs up this!!
Old 03-28-2020, 05:59 AM   #129

Garage
Wanted to drive the car some on the street so removed -Chamber from setup back to -1 front and Rear and did basic pipe alignment I use at the track if I'm changing anything. which is band a conduit to the rear tires. measure the pipe at the hub on the front wheels, balance with adjustable rear toe-link. measure distance from the face of the tire side to side front and rear of the front tires. then do the same for the face of the tire to the pipe. Verify chamber with a wheel jig and digital inclinometer. No Idea at this point if or when I'll be tracking the car all events are being canceled thru May.

As far as the Covid thing I fall under the high risk group with active cancer and treatments that slightly suppress my immune system. So I'm at home waiting this out. I try to only watch local news because the national new is so obviously negative and definitely tainted. I know the situation is volatile but there are good thing happening as well as the stats. But if your using stats then validate your report and use all the stats Italy has 60 million people USA has 332 million legal people and as many as 2 million undocumented. The percentages still have our outbreak better controlled than England, Germany, France, and Italy, in number of cases and percent fatalities. If you believe any stat from China, where this virus did originate, or Russia, or North Korea you are a "FOOL".

I wood work so I have been doing some project one for work, one for my sister, and two for home. Watching Netflix and Sling. and I got addicted to XBOX 1 Forza 7 and others Horizon 4 is iffy but I play that to with a digital force feedback wheel and pedals. Column shift paddles.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 03-28-2020 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:26 AM   #130

Man! I was going to post my status but after reading through this crap, forget it. Best of luck.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:13 AM   #131

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Here is some more news in my little corner of the world...

My oldest son is graduating from USC Keck Medical School in May and has accepted a position as a Resident in Emergency Medicine at New York Presbyterian Hospitals in Manhattan (there are two teaching hospitals, NYPH Columbia in Washington Heights and NYPH Weir Cornell in the Upper East Side). He starts June 16. ER residents spend most of their time treating patients under the supervision of Senior Residents and/or the Attending Physician.

Depending how the virus progresses in NY, he might be jumping straight into the fire!
Thank Him and I Pray for his safety.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
Old 03-28-2020, 08:42 AM   #132
Who's askin'?

Today im going to resist everything that's natural for me.... and do almost nothing.

It's 38d (f) here. Snow on the ground. Im on the deck with the patio heater burning the fuzz off my scalp. I'm holding a tattered, original of Les Miserables in Hugo's words (French, original) in my hands, which I may or may not get to. My wife's feeding her lambs.

There's nothing I could do right now to make anything better than this.

Lots of things I could do that'd make it worse.

If my anxiety takes over, I might move my wife's mini R52 into the garage and see what's going on with the convertible top.

Naaaaahhhhhh......

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2020, 08:56 AM   #133
jcp

Timely post Maytag......my wife is taking care of her ’pets’ daily routine also....
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2020, 09:03 AM   #134

Garage
Dad was tired of being quarantined, and asked me to go on a cruise with him to Alki ( popular beach in seattle). I told him no, that's not how a quarantine works, but he kept calling me til I agreed to it...We stopped at the boat launch for some photos

As we're leaving Alki, I'm the front car and he's following. He sees a cloud of dust behind him, just thought it was dirt he's kicking up. Than his temp gauge climbs and realizes it wasn't dust, it's his car that's smoking! Call's me to pull over and wait for him.

Coolant / water dripping as fast as he's filling it...

"so dad, you enjoying your cruise to alki? Should have just stayed home huh?"

TO BE CONTINUED...
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Old 03-28-2020, 09:04 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Today im going to resist everything that's natural for me.... and do almost nothing.

It's 38d (f) here. Snow on the ground. Im on the deck with the patio heater burning the fuzz off my scalp. I'm holding a tattered, original of Les Miserables in Hugo's words (French, original) in my hands, which I may or may not get to. My wife's feeding her lambs.

There's nothing I could do right now to make anything better than this.

Lots of things I could do that'd make it worse.

If my anxiety takes over, I might move my wife's mini R52 into the garage and see what's going on with the convertible top.

Naaaaahhhhhh......

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Very cool—and noncontroversial! (And you too, jcp)

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
For those of you and your loved ones who are fighting the battle for us, a heart-felt thank you to all of you and the hope you all come out whole when this is over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp View Post
A big thumbs up this!!
+1

And for all the worriers that sentiments expressed within this thread are going to do irreparable harm to the 986 community here, I’d say relax. Do tensions run high and tempers flare over political matters? Even amongst friends? Of course they do. Toss in a hot pandemic and a highly controversial president like the one we’ve currently got and you’ve got the makings of the perfect storm. Intelligent, opinionated and nervous people spout off, especially in difficult times like this. Others, the targets (real or perceived), predictably take offense and respond, often in knee-jerk, not entirely well-thought-out ways. It’s what members of “families” do. Folks get irate, feelings are hurt, then it passes. Nobody here should take any of this too terribly seriously (though I am definitely disturbed by the suggestion that somebody should “be the next case” to fall victim to a potentially lethal illness—that one was clearly over the line; any possibility of an apology pending? C’mon guy, be a man. You can do it!).

As is so often necessary in matters of politics and religion, let’s all just agree to disagree on some things, then focus on getting through this mess we find ourselves in.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #136

I'm working on some drywall repairs on my residence. Working up the courage to tackle the convertible top transmission repair on the Boxster. As a builder/former house flipper I can probably spend the next 3 months working on my home. Then it would be ready to sell but I have no place to go. I might have to buy a big camper and live in that while I build myself another new one. I don't want to be political, I pray for all our leaders both public and private. I really don't appreciate the bashing I read about our president on this site. I will not stoop to bash any ones opinion. To many good men died so we have our rights. I am a true independent. I voted for President Obama twice. I was disappointed in the job he did but I never disrespected him . Its a difficult job. I voted for our current president. While he is not perfect by any means I cannot be more pleased with the job he has done while in office. So refreshing to see someone from the private sector get in there and right some wrongs and shake up the establishment. I cannot think of another person to lead us through this mess and out the other side. Have a great day people!
Old 03-28-2020, 10:59 AM   #137

We're now restricted to exercise within 2k radius of your home. Only travel is for groceries or medicine. Only essential workers meat travel to work. Basically Ireland is in full lockdown. Fortunately for me the 2k limit encompasses the beach and only locals on it!!
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Old 03-28-2020, 11:11 AM   #138
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traco View Post
We're now restricted to exercise within 2k radius of your home. Only travel is for groceries or medicine. Only essential workers meat travel to work. Basically Ireland is in full lockdown. Fortunately for me the 2k limit encompasses the beach and only locals on it!!
Hey Traco, what beach and what part of Ireland is that? My wife and I toured your beautiful island in May 2018 and loved it!

PS one of our favourite spots was Ballyheigue and it's gorgeous beach.

Last edited by paulofto; 03-28-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaday View Post

Coolant / water dripping as fast as he's filling it...

"so dad, you enjoying your cruise to alki? Should have just stayed home huh?"

TO BE CONTINUED...
Your dad has good taste in cars. I take it he never had the coolant pipes pinned?
Old 03-28-2020, 11:50 AM   #140

As for me... working from home. And homeschooling two kids. Did take the Box for a long drive today. Roads here are nearly empty! I suppose that is a very slim silver lining. Mostly this sucks.

Closed Thread