Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2006, 07:25 PM   #1

Porsche has been Great

I just signed up tonight, learning a bunch. I bought a pontiac Solstice brand new and they reqally need to lighten up over on their forum(dont mention anyother car over there except for solstice!
T here were so many issues and flaws in that car that I could go forever. Finally traded for a one owner 2001 Boxster. It is a maroon and has only 17,000 original. Just beautiful and SOOOOO much more that the Pontiac.
Thanks for the invite can't wait to learn more thru you guys!!
Nunzzio

Nunzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:12 PM   #2

welcome home! i got mine 2 months ago and i love it :dance:
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #3

Welcome! I'd take a nice pre-owned boxster over a new 25k solstice any day of the week. What's the deal with the Solstice and the new Saturn Sky? I can't believe GM can even sell a 2 seater with a 170hp 4 banger. Who in their right mind would choose that over a slightly used 350 hp vette?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:10 PM   #4

You know the Sky is a really nice looking car and they will have the redline option. I cant remember if its a turbo or supercharger upgrade.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:27 AM   #5

comparison?

Besides road and track or whoever they were, how can you compare the Solstice to the Boxster? I understand they tried, but Jeezz. :troll:
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:05 PM   #6

I won't bash the Solstice or Sky b/c I think they are very nice looking rides and provide decent bang for the buck. I wouldn't call them a 'sports' car but they are a good alternative for some open top fun.

Interestingly, several months ago I made a post to the Solstice forum b/c a neighbor of mine bought one and I thought it looked really nice in person. So I just joined and posted a compliment on the site and mentioned I owned a Boxster. Went back a couple days later and there were three pages of postings bashing the Boxster......Porsche drivers are all stuck up snobs etc.....

I think this forum is much more sophisticated and most members can see the benefits of owning other alternatives.

Welcome

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:35 PM   #7

Yup... we is sophistimicated (running my hands through my mullet)... burp... (sound of an empty beer can hitting the floor) No one knows sportsem cars... burp... like us Boxer (notice the mispelling) owners... belch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
I won't bash the Solstice or Sky b/c I think they are very nice looking rides and provide decent bang for the buck. I wouldn't call them a 'sports' car but they are a good alternative for some open top fun.

Interestingly, several months ago I made a post to the Solstice forum b/c a neighbor of mine bought one and I thought it looked really nice in person. So I just joined and posted a compliment on the site and mentioned I owned a Boxster. Went back a couple days later and there were three pages of postings bashing the Boxster......Porsche drivers are all stuck up snobs etc.....

I think this forum is much more sophisticated and most members can see the benefits of owning other alternatives.

Welcome
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:38 PM   #8

I want to drive the 260 HP Solstice. There's a giant billboard of yellow one I noticed on my last trek past Times Square. The front end has special new styling.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #9

Boxster vs Solstice

Basically in the comparison you have to keep in mind its a base boxster vs a GXP solstice. The Solstice is vaguely faster around the track but would probaly get danced on by a boxster S. As for the base Solstice... it has near identical stats to a 1987 325i convertible power, weight, handling which is why I almost got one then my sister bought her 98' Boxster, 4 months till Boxster S time.
Hortos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:33 AM   #10

I highly doubt the 260HP Solstice would be any faster at the track. It's a heavier car, and the base 987 only gives up about 10 hp to it.

Having said that I haven't driven the car.. It's nice looking. My folks are thinking about getting one.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBoxster
I highly doubt the 260HP Solstice would be any faster at the track. It's a heavier car, and the base 987 only gives up about 10 hp to it.

Having said that I haven't driven the car.. It's nice looking. My folks are thinking about getting one.

There was an article in C&D comparing the GXP solstice to a base 987 and they were faster around the track in the solstice. It was posted on up the main page but it's not there now. Here we go, I found the article

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11605/2007-pontiac-solstice-gxp-vs-2006-porsche-boxster.html

Last edited by Adam; 10-11-2006 at 08:03 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:49 AM   #12

Lets be fair here.

Compare a $30K Soltice to a $55K Boxster?

C'mon, what do you expect? Fairer to compare a Soltice to a Miata.

And compare a M4 to an S, that is a fairer

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:27 AM   #13

Gpx v. 987

I'm a C&D subscriber and gingerman is appx 50min from my house and is availab le once a week for open lapping...I remember reading this when it first came out...the thing that first sticks out in my mind is that we are talking lap times with a professional driver behind the wheel...i think it safe to say that for the common man, the results would be dramatically different...meaning that a relatively small minority of people are very comfortable pushing there vehicles at the hairy edge of the gpx's handling threshold in order of pursuit of lower laps times...

also, i would venture to guess that any run...mano a mano...through your local twisties, will find the boxster driver waiting paitiently at the end of said run to collect his friendly wager...in fact, due to the real world handling advantage had by the boxster (read: stability in the bumpy corner), it might be wise to collect your wager before you embark on the journey with the gpx driver...

just my 0.02...but i would think that for the average driver, the confidence inspired by the stability of the 98x chassi will translate into faster times most anywhere...

cheers,

--troy

racer_troy is offline   Reply With Quote