Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2017, 05:08 PM   #1

Remote keys stopped working at same time after 1.5 days

Hey guys,

I'm having a strange issue with my 2.7 2003 boxster lately. I was driving the car daily and using the remote key to lock/ unlock normally. After 1.5 days, in which I was away and didn't drive the car, it seems that BOTH keys ( initial and spare) have stopped working. Maybe the key ( in my pocket ) was pressed many times ( but not over 1024) and it got toasted? But even so, the spare key should be working fine. Already tried to re sync them ( unlocking door and ignition on, start engine and press unlock key etc...) but all attempts failed. Both keys not opening neither the trunk/frunk nor the doors. Both keys are flashing, when pressed, so I guess it's not battery. I have to manually unlock with key, and even so, it only unlocks the drivers door and nothing else (Passenger door stays locked, gas the same, and the dash lock switch stays red). The alarm system works fine, I also checked the Fuses and they all seem OK (E1,B8,C3). The car doesn't do any diagnostic "beep" or anything else...

Plus, there seems Not to be any moisture under the drivers seat.

I have already done my homework here ( apparently ) but none solutions worked. How is it possible that both keys stopped working after almost two days of car inactivity?

Last edited by Lacostas; 10-11-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Lacostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:34 PM   #2

It would have to be your computer where the key codes are stored flaked out.
2000 C2 Aero - Track Car
1965 Dodge Coronet 440 - Nostalgia
lowpue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpue View Post
It would have to be your computer where the key codes are stored flaked out.
Uhm okay, thanks. How possible is that though? Is it a common issue on 986's ?
Old 10-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #4

Garage
I've had some lock issues also so I'm interested in this and I've got questions that may not help anything but...

Is it correct that the lock switch on the dash console is still flashing red after you unlock the driver door with the key? If so that says to me that the central lock/alarm system isn't getting the message from the door that it's unlocked. If you pull on the passenger door handle from inside to unlock that door does the dash lock switch change? Guess I don't know if it's suppose to.

Is the dash switch actually working to lock and unlock?
marck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marck View Post
I've had some lock issues also so I'm interested in this and I've got questions that may not help anything but...

Is it correct that the lock switch on the dash console is still flashing red after you unlock the driver door with the key? If so that says to me that the central lock/alarm system isn't getting the message from the door that it's unlocked. If you pull on the passenger door handle from inside to unlock that door does the dash lock switch change? Guess I don't know if it's suppose to.

Is the dash switch actually working to lock and unlock?
Yes it stays red. I'm still searching for a solution. Also if I click the dash switch I think it doesn't unlock the door passenger.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:42 PM   #6

Maybe it would be a good idea to just disconnect the battery and connect it again ? Maybe it resets something that is stuck?
Old 10-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
You're likely going to need to replace the immobilizer. You can do this without expensive trips to the dealer if you by a good used one and either swap the EEPROM from your old one or copy the info over with an EEPROM reader.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
You're likely going to need to replace the immobilizer. You can do this without expensive trips to the dealer if you by a good used one and either swap the EEPROM from your old one or copy the info over with an EEPROM reader.
But I had it checked some days ago on Official Porsche center (full status report) and found nothing strange on the systems. Only the key. Then I fixed the keys, then it stayed idle for some days and then keys stopped
Old 01-03-2020, 07:35 AM   #9

Garage
Hi Lacostas, did you get anywhere with this?

I have a similar issue in the fact that I can only open the car intermittently with the button, probably due to circuit board as noted in other posts. However I have the same problem when opening with the key.

When i use the key it only opens the drivers door, the fuel flap and passenger door stay locked and I can't open them with the button on the dash.

The only way I can get round it is, put the key in the ignition turn it to auxiliary, turn it off remove the key and put it back in the drivers door and turn it to open, then it unlocks the fuel flap and passenger door. Its almost as if when I lock the car then come back later to unlock it is loosing it's sync.

Just a bit annoying to keep doing that every time I unlock the car.

Could this be an immobiliser issue as PW suggested?

Last edited by M4SGK1986; 01-03-2020 at 07:38 AM.
M4SGK1986 is offline   Reply With Quote