Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2020, 12:21 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
Welcome back sir. If you ever decide to make more of those lighted rear windscreen I f probably be interested in one of those. What ever happened to the replacement radio project
haha, the SkyBreaker. Yup that was a good one! Those fumes when cutting that pmma were, like, best LSD-like ever lol Good memories. I still got a dozen coated panels here and might let them go eventually not sure why I keep them here in all honesty, kinda weird in fact. Let's see man...

Thanks for the quick note, looking forward seeing you around Ben

Old 01-02-2020, 05:25 AM   #42

Fred,

I PM'd you about this, but you probably have at least a dozen or so PMs built up... I'm down for a SkyBreaker as well, if you have enough.

Best,
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
haha, the SkyBreaker. Yup that was a good one! Those fumes when cutting that pmma were, like, best LSD-like ever lol Good memories. I still got a dozen coated panels here and might let them go eventually not sure why I keep them here in all honesty, kinda weird in fact. Let's see man...

Thanks for the quick note, looking forward seeing you around Ben

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:53 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy.Boxster View Post
I PM'd you about this, but you probably have at least a dozen or so PMs built up... I'm down for a SkyBreaker as well, if you have enough.
Msg received. Counting you in, Troy! Just counted the coated panels and I got 9 (nine) left, was sure I had 12 :/ Strange...
Old 01-02-2020, 07:17 AM   #44
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The Skybreaker one of my favorite 986 mods!

Fred, if you ever end up sending out those last few panels add me to the list, I scratched mine getting it into the frame.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:41 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
The Skybreaker one of my favorite 986 mods!

Fred, if you ever end up sending out those last few panels add me to the list, I scratched mine getting it into the frame.
Will do Rick.

?? the coating hardness is near the one of glass, are you 100% sure that composite frame is what scratched it? You'd need something much harder than the coating hardness itself to be able to scratch it (e.g. sharp stainless steel, sand, etc).

Obviously the panel can't be buffed/polished out without taking out the coating first. You could try a range of medium grain sand paper (al oxide based) e.g. 600, 1000, 1400, and finish with a #2000 before hand polishing. Just mask the area that doesn't need repair and you could potentially rescue it (50/50 really). Deep scratch? or just annoying?

Option 2: mask area around scratch the best you can, brush/clean debris with hot distilled water, let dry, and fill with a clear epoxy (need micro medical syringe).

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-02-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:30 AM   #46
Need For Speed

Garage
Fred are you going to manufacture cool parts for the 986 again?
Old 01-02-2020, 02:13 PM   #47
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Will do Rick.

?? the coating hardness is near the one of glass, are you 100% sure that composite frame is what scratched it? You'd need something much harder than the coating hardness itself to be able to scratch it (e.g. sharp stainless steel, sand, etc).

Obviously the panel can't be buffed/polished out without taking out the coating first. You could try a range of medium grain sand paper (al oxide based) e.g. 600, 1000, 1400, and finish with a #2000 before hand polishing. Just mask the area that doesn't need repair and you could potentially rescue it (50/50 really). Deep scratch? or just annoying?

Option 2: mask area around scratch the best you can, brush/clean debris with hot distilled water, let dry, and fill with a clear epoxy (need micro medical syringe).
It's not a huge issue, but if you're going to startup again I would love a new panel. It's actually scratched, nothing major, but it's about 2" in the lower corner that illuminates when the Skybreaker is on. I'm not sure I would want to attempt repairing it and potentially make it worse. The coating actually works really well, because it should have been far worse. After I got the panel installed in the outer trim, I realized I forgot to route a channel for the power cable. My hand slipped while I was using a dremel, which caused the scratch.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:12 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Fred are you going to manufacture cool parts for the 986 again?
Not the willingness that is missing, but something else ;-) We'll see, I'm certainly trying. I'm putting together a few drawings of some of the parts I'm currently manufacturing for a customer this week. Just to see if I can swing those out secretly during late winter & spring without losing my shirt. Just a test at this stage (i.e. RFQs). If that works out I'll regain access to my own machine-tools for about 3~4 months! Wish me (us) luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
It's not a huge issue, but if you're going to startup again I would love a new panel.
Sure, understand. Sorry to hear ab that accident Rick, bummer :/ Let you guys know as soon as I get on that laser.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:50 AM   #49

Quote:
Haha! Same to you Steve, best wishes man! Time to catch up with your racing adventures, hope you are still zipping those apex
I still am and check out my secret weapon (wheel center caps).

I get a lot of comments on them :-)

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:19 AM   #50

Garage
nice secret weapon Steve, I dig that anodized silver a lot! Gen. 1 & 2 of those center caps are great, but Gen. 1 just a bit cooler

Also, welcome back Fred! Hope you are doing good man. Sorry to hear about the "Infotainment system" not going the direction you intended it to. Glad you made some money back from it though.

And did I hear Skybreaker?!
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:36 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaday View Post
nice secret weapon Steve, I dig that anodized silver a lot! Gen. 1 & 2 of those center caps are great, but Gen. 1 just a bit cooler

If I had a set of gen 1 (they rock and your wheels look really good too!) I would run them on my 17" Cayman wheels which are 5 spoke and very similar in my opinion to the Carrera GT wheels, I have a picture from last year's weeks reunion if I can find it :-)
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:52 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I still am and check out my secret weapon (wheel center caps).
Ah! yes, the secret weapon. Let's keep it secret a bit longer, we wouldn't want everyone to know how we make those wheels go fast'er

Love that car, the color and those wheels man, good to know you are still in the fast game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaday View Post

Also, welcome back Fred! Hope you are doing good man.
Kind words, thank man and yes those Gen 1 are badass too, got them in blue on mine, still today! Same wishes to you, hope you and the car(s) are doing good. And that Skybreaker, yea, few of them might go in the laser in late Jan or Feb Counting you in!

Btw, those are awesome wheels you guys got there on those two cars :/ Not as good as your set-ups but there, here's mine with those those Gen 1 caps on