View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 02:13 PM   #47
rick3000
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Will do Rick.

?? the coating hardness is near the one of glass, are you 100% sure that composite frame is what scratched it? You'd need something much harder than the coating hardness itself to be able to scratch it (e.g. sharp stainless steel, sand, etc).

Obviously the panel can't be buffed/polished out without taking out the coating first. You could try a range of medium grain sand paper (al oxide based) e.g. 600, 1000, 1400, and finish with a #2000 before hand polishing. Just mask the area that doesn't need repair and you could potentially rescue it (50/50 really). Deep scratch? or just annoying?

Option 2: mask area around scratch the best you can, brush/clean debris with hot distilled water, let dry, and fill with a clear epoxy (need micro medical syringe).
It's not a huge issue, but if you're going to startup again I would love a new panel. It's actually scratched, nothing major, but it's about 2" in the lower corner that illuminates when the Skybreaker is on. I'm not sure I would want to attempt repairing it and potentially make it worse. The coating actually works really well, because it should have been far worse. After I got the panel installed in the outer trim, I realized I forgot to route a channel for the power cable. My hand slipped while I was using a dremel, which caused the scratch.