Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2019, 01:43 AM   #1

Garage
Speedster Hump Questions

Good morning all,
Fairly new around here. I've had my 98 Boxster since March and have already put 19k miles on it. Loving it to say the least. It came with a set of speedster humps and brackets. They have OEM part numbers on them. Was there an oem option for the humps? Having trouble finding any info.
My assumption is they are the duraflex ones, but don't know how to tell for sure. They were red and the po started to rattle can them silver. Guessing the color didnt match and he stopped half way through. Haha. So they need a bit of paint work. Fitment isn't too bad, I just don't like the looks.

Anyway, what are these things worth? Is there a way to tell if they are 'OEM'?

Thanks,
GLImages

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Old 11-03-2019, 04:05 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLImages View Post
Good morning all,
Fairly new around here. I've had my 98 Boxster since March and have already put 19k miles on it. Loving it to say the least. It came with a set of speedster humps and brackets. They have OEM part numbers on them. Was there an oem option for the humps? Having trouble finding any info.
My assumption is they are the duraflex ones, but don't know how to tell for sure. They were red and the po started to rattle can them silver. Guessing the color didnt match and he stopped half way through. Haha. So they need a bit of paint work. Fitment isn't too bad, I just don't like the looks.

Anyway, what are these things worth? Is there a way to tell if they are 'OEM'?

Thanks,
GLImages

Welcome. Saw zero photos/pictures/ What do you mean by "Fitment isn't too bad"? If they have OEM numbers on them... should be OEM. Rattle can? Trash that... take it to the shop... have them painted. What are they worth? I bought mine from a fellow upon these pages for, IIRC, $400 and change. They're worth whatever someone will pay for them... and the camps are divided upon the "coolness" factor.

You don't like the looks? For how much would you sell them... shipping not included? (I'd do the postage math, just looking for your sale price).

Pics, please.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:36 AM   #3

If Starter986 doesn't want them , I do. Message me here. Rick
Old 11-03-2019, 05:11 AM   #4

Garage
The crappy paint may be why I don't really care for them that much. And I don't like the seam around the rear when mounted. Looks too much like they are sitting "on top" of the truck lid. I think they would look great molded in, although I don't have any plans for that. But that's what I meant by not bad fitment. Everything lines up where it's supposed to be. I'm just being picky.

Let me think about a price. I may be open to bartering too. I have a few things I'm looking for. I'll shoot you guys a PM and/or make a post in the classifieds. I didn't mean for this to be a for sale ad. HAHA.

Here's a few pics of the humps. I don't have any pics with them mounted. I might be able to snap a few once it warms up later this afternoon. Included one of my car for good measure.

GLImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:33 PM   #5

Garage
Price em or provide a barter item. I may be intererest for the right price.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:57 AM   #6

Garage
First thing I bought when I got my 99. I love the look.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:22 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Price em or provide a barter item. I may be intererest for the right price.
That makes three of us who might be interested for the right price. The line is to the right.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:41 AM   #8
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
That makes three of us who might be interested for the right price. The line is to the right.
Put me in that line too.

Tell us what items you're looking for?

Last edited by maytag; 11-04-2019 at 04:44 AM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:06 AM   #9
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
My 03S came with the OEM humps and whenever I use them, which isn't that often, everyone has positive comments. It gives the car a solid muscular look. I use them if there is absolutely no chance of rain since to store them in the car is awkward if you have to raise the top. It can be done but almost impossible if you have anything in the frunk or trunk. I'm the only Boxster owner in the local PCA chapter that has them I believe.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #10

Garage
You guys are convincing me to hold onto them I think. Haha. I'm going see about getting them painted and decide from there. I've been looking at pictures of other cars with them today, they may be growing on me some.

Sorry to be such a tease for those who were interested. I didnt realize they were so popular/rare.

How hard is artic silver to match?

Thx,
GLImages

Old 11-04-2019, 01:23 PM   #11

I absolutely adore the look ..
aware I'm way back at the end of the line.
They are definitely on my .. 'to do' list soon ..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
jreissenweber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:06 PM   #12
Who's askin'?

Fine.... hang onto em then, Haha.

So does anyone have any experience with the China ones on Ebay?
How's the fit and finish?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:26 AM   #13
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

They're light enough to carry into your local auto paint shop... get an estimate. They should be able to match up the paint. I can't imagine they would be terribly expensive.

FWIW, I would have offered you $200 plus shipping... because you know... the crappy existing paint job. And because I paid $400 for mine, with the paint tits.

JBauer just stated a Ztop thread. Maybe we should get a Hump thread going.

By the way... if you decide the humps aren't for you (I'd be surprised, they are uber cool) connect with Daniel Andrew. That ****************er will get you $2,000 for the humps. Plus shipping.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:09 AM   #14

Garage
Lol. Is that the guy with the ebay links in his ads? I saw the 3 spoke steering wheel he has listed for $850. Thought that was a little optimistic to say the least.

For $200, I'd definitely keep them. Haha. I had a few PMs with higher offers than that.

The paint is pretty crappy, but nothing a little sanding can't fix. We'll see what the paint shop says this weekend.

Thx,
GLImages

Old 12-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #15

Garage
To hump or not to hump, that is the question! We are currently humpless because the top is stuck (up), and it's winter. I like the look and what are the chances another black 986 showed up on my street a few weeks later. Keeps me from trying to get in the wrong car....
Old 12-11-2019, 06:05 PM   #16

Anyone have a guesstimate on cost for a good paint job on a set of Humpty humps? (damn, now that song is stuck in my head...)
Jasper_Boxst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:54 AM   #17

400 bucks . I paid 400 for rear bumper . I just paid 500 for bumperettes, bumper and rear diffuser. I paid 500 for humps years ago off C.L. 2 wks after purchase of boxster and love them. If Porsche liked the look then I like it too.
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:53 AM   #18

Price

FWIW, I had a set of OEM humps in pristine condition and advertised them for $400, with not a single serious inquiry. A couple of people responded and said I was asking way too much and they're not very popular. I ended up keeping them and selling with the car when I sold it.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:14 PM   #19

location location location . also that was then this is now it is a little more desirable market for the Hair dresser, fried egg headlight ,cheap plastic interior, ims failure of the Porsche step - children.lol .
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #20

Garage
Found this online, let's me keep the humps on longer in case it rains.