Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2019, 08:13 AM   #1
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I finally broke my car.

I washed and dried the car last week and drove it into the garage. Went to start it up the other morning and it wouldn't start. It kinda sounds like it is turning over. I didn't notice the RPM gauge moving, so I guess that could point me towards the CPS.

The battery should be good, the light on the tender is green as usual. The ignition switch could use to be replaced, but it seems to turn smoothly. My starter has been doing a squeal every once in a while when it is cold outside. I'm just hoping the stater sticking didn't ruin the flywheel.

It's about time to put the car away for the winter, so I'm not in a huge hurry to fix it. But I would like to be able to start it to warm up the oil and change the oil before it sleeps for the winter.

Since it needs a new or fixed starter I think I can replace that and see how it goes. Of course if its missing any teeth or anything I'll have to dig into the tranny deeper before trying to start it again.

Any suggestions from you guys?

tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:29 AM   #2

I would focus on the battery. "kinda sounds like it's turning over" could just be a bad/low battery. The tender (depending on what brand) could be just not charging it. I would take the battery to somewhere and have it tested, it's free usually.

The starter squeal can be fixed, there is a video on youtube for this and it's cheap.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:19 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The CPS normally starts acting up intermittently when the car is warmed before it completely fails. I agree with Stl-986, check the battery and tender, before you start replacing things.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Well the battery would be the easiest thing to check. It's probably past its prime, it came with the car when I bought it (7 or 8) years ago. It has always been hooked to the battery tender when it's parked for more than a few days. I'm sure that has helped it to last this long.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
I washed and dried the car last week and drove it into the garage. Went to start it up the other morning and it wouldn't start. It kinda sounds like it is turning over. I didn't notice the RPM gauge moving, so I guess that could point me towards the CPS.

The battery should be good, the light on the tender is green as usual. The ignition switch could use to be replaced, but it seems to turn smoothly. My starter has been doing a squeal every once in a while when it is cold outside. I'm just hoping the stater sticking didn't ruin the flywheel.

It's about time to put the car away for the winter, so I'm not in a huge hurry to fix it. But I would like to be able to start it to warm up the oil and change the oil before it sleeps for the winter.

Since it needs a new or fixed starter I think I can replace that and see how it goes. Of course if its missing any teeth or anything I'll have to dig into the tranny deeper before trying to start it again.

Any suggestions from you guys?
Always start with the simplest things first and work step by step in a logical progression up the diagnostic ladder.
It could be a bad battery.
You don't know if the battery is good if you don't load test it.
It could be a bad connection at the battery.
It could be a bad connection anywhere from the battery to the starter.
It could be a bad starter
it could be lots of things causing the problem.

You need to use good diagnostic practices and testing to find the root cause of the problem. Or you usually chase your tail and spend lots of money changing out parts that are perfectly good.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:32 PM   #6

7-8 years is a long time for batteries these days. Around here 5 years is about the limit. They just dont make them as good as they used to.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 04:13 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Always start with the simplest things first and work step by step in a logical progression up the diagnostic ladder.
It could be a bad battery.
You don't know if the battery is good if you don't load test it.
It could be a bad connection at the battery.
It could be a bad connection anywhere from the battery to the starter.
It could be a bad starter
it could be lots of things causing the problem.

You need to use good diagnostic practices and testing to find the root cause of the problem. Or you usually chase your tail and spend lots of money changing out parts that are perfectly good.
Dude, don't be so discouraging. I want to read all about the new starter install and transmission removal. But NOOOOOOOOOO. You have to go and ruin what could have been an entirely awesome winter thread read. Sheeeesh.

Yes, sometimes I'm inspired before 6A.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Dude, don't be so discouraging. I want to read all about the new starter install and transmission removal. But NOOOOOOOOOO. You have to go and ruin what could have been an entirely awesome winter thread read. Sheeeesh.

yes and still not have the car start
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:13 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
yes and still not have the car start
Woodland. Driven past that nice neck of the woods tens of times. Seriously. Love that part of Washington.

And... you're right up the street from ParticleWave. Nice.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:10 AM   #10
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post

Haha yes that would have been a great thread. I was just throwing a few ideas out there before I started tearing into it. The weather up here has turned from fall to winter in one day, so i'm really not in a hurry. I wish I could tear the tranny out in my garage, but it is way to small for that kind of work. So you will have to wait until spring so I can do it in the driveway. I'm sure my wife and neighbors would love that. Redneck style
But on a serious note thanks for the suggestions. Even though the battery is old as dirt since I've never had a problem with it, I didn't even consider it to be the problem.

So i'll start by taking the battery out and having it tested. If it's bad i'll get a new one. In the spring I'll put in the new ignition switch and rebuild the starter. Then for the hell of it I'll take the tranny off. I'm pretty sure my RMS is leaking anyway.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:27 AM   #11
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Haha yes that would have been a great thread. I was just throwing a few ideas out there before I started tearing into it. The weather up here has turned from fall to winter in one day, so i'm really not in a hurry. I wish I could tear the tranny out in my garage, but it is way to small for that kind of work. So you will have to wait until spring so I can do it in the driveway. I'm sure my wife and neighbors would love that. Redneck style
But on a serious note thanks for the suggestions. Even though the battery is old as dirt since I've never had a problem with it, I didn't even consider it to be the problem.

So i'll start by taking the battery out and having it tested. If it's bad i'll get a new one. In the spring I'll put in the new ignition switch and rebuild the starter. Then for the hell of it I'll take the tranny off. I'm pretty sure my RMS is leaking anyway.
At least you have a garage! I'm in a 3-car carport... and own the middle space. Today will find me pushing my car 10 feet into the driveway so I'll have enough room to reinstall my rebuilt alternator... but not before the temp hits at least 65.

I imagine you've a narrow garage? Sure makes me miss my old 3-car garage.

Best wishes with the ignition switch... and starter. The RMS? Awesome.

Do you have any garages local to you that rent out garage space to work in? Something like this: https://urdreamgarage.com/

Old 11-01-2019, 09:14 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Well the battery would be the easiest thing to check. It's probably past its prime, it came with the car when I bought it (7 or 8) years ago. It has always been hooked to the battery tender when it's parked for more than a few days. I'm sure that has helped it to last this long.

1st step is make sure the water level is good in the battery. Hot summers evaporate some.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:34 AM   #13
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
1st step is make sure the water level is good in the battery. Hot summers evaporate some.
Good point. It was a little hot here in upstate NY this year.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #14

any update about the battery?
Have you tried to jump start it with other car?

About garage, I was able to fit 3 small cars inside a 2 car garage. hehehe
Attached Images

ndfrigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:21 PM   #15
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
No news yet. It's already snowing here If it warms back up a little I'll take the battery out and over to the parts store for a check.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #16
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Ok so it got up to a scorching 48 degrees here today. Took the battery out and had it tested. It was putting out 300 CC. So no good. It is at least 8 years old so no complaints. Put in a new Autozone battery. Cranked it over about 5 times before it started. Drove it down to the gas station, filled the tank with non-ethanol fuel, added Stabil and pumped up the tires to 50 PSI. If it stays kinda warm I'll change the oil later in the week. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Ok so it got up to a scorching 48 degrees here today. Took the battery out and had it tested. It was putting out 300 CC. So no good. It is at least 8 years old so no complaints. Put in a new Autozone battery. Cranked it over about 5 times before it started. Drove it down to the gas station, filled the tank with non-ethanol fuel, added Stabil and pumped up the tires to 50 PSI. If it stays kinda warm I'll change the oil later in the week. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Merry Christmas to all.
Hey, we never met for a drive before we moved south! Glad to hear it was nothing more than the battery. Have a great Christmas and New Year!
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #18
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Hey, we never met for a drive before we moved south! Glad to hear it was nothing more than the battery. Have a great Christmas and New Year!
Yes Fred we have to meet up for a drive next year. Are you actually done moving yet? LOL.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Yes Fred we have to meet up for a drive next year. Are you actually done moving yet? LOL.
Done moving, yes - unpacking not so much
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Ok so it got up to a scorching 48 degrees here today.
You're in "upstate" NY, I'm just a tiny bit upstate, in Westchester. I drove topless yesterday, mid-40's, bright sunshine.

BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote