Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #1

Is this normal?

I don't use the heat/cool system a lot. My area is pretty temperate most of the year so not really necessary. However, when I do turn it on (especially the ac) it seems to overload the engine. By that I mean the idle will definitely drop and it will idle more roughly. Not to the point of cutting off but definitely not smooth like when the system is not engaged. Again, is this normal???

Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:58 AM   #2

I have an 2002 boxster. When I use the AC or heat, I notice almost no change in anything. MAYBE I can hear more belts getting used, but I notice almost nothing affecting power.... well, accelleration is reduced slightly with AC, but I dont hear idles drop or anything.

Just my input from my vehicle, and I know almost nothing about cars
Old 10-17-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
That doesn't sound normal to me, my climate control has no noticeable affect on the engine, except for a small drop (maybe 100-200RPM max) and readjustment in RPM when first turning on the AC.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #4

It kinds like you have an AC Compressor clutch bearing that may be failing. The bad bearing could create a bigger drag (load) on your drive system. You may be better off replacing the entire compressor rather than just trying to do the clutch or clutch bearing. The bearing is not expensive but given the age of our vehicles, I am aAC compressor may not be far behind.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #5

Thanks guys. It's a 2001 base with about 60k on her. Other than this issue, she has never given me one minute's problem. I use it as my DD year round and have kept a rigorous preventive/regular maintenance program since my ownership. Thank goodness i don't use this system much as i have never experienced this in any of my other vehicles.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #6

Older cars have an A/C idle valve, or something along those lines that kick up the idle when the A/C is turned on. Do the Boxsters have anything similar?
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #7

take your front bumper off and clean your radiators out. Look through youtube for this.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:21 PM   #8

Garage
Sounds normal to me. The system is doing extra work. Nothing to be alarmed about.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:42 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
It kinds like you have an AC Compressor clutch bearing that may be failing. The bad bearing could create a bigger drag (load) on your drive system. You may be better off replacing the entire compressor rather than just trying to do the clutch or clutch bearing. The bearing is not expensive but given the age of our vehicles, I am aAC compressor may not be far behind.
+1 if your seeing a large drop/load starting the AC.
The only thing I hear/feel is the AC clutch engaging and maybe a slight drop of RPM if at idle

I only use my AC on damp nights to defog and to exercise the system. Should run it from time to time to exercise
Old 10-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #10

While your Boxster has relatively low mileage, it's a matter of age where parts and components may require attention.

How old is your battery, and have you changed any of your drive pulleys and belts? As others have suggested, it's a good idea to let the system run from time to time.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
I don't use the heat/cool system a lot. My area is pretty temperate most of the year so not really necessary. However, when I do turn it on (especially the ac) it seems to overload the engine. By that I mean the idle will definitely drop and it will idle more roughly. Not to the point of cutting off but definitely not smooth like when the system is not engaged.

Again, is this normal???
No, this is not normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
Older cars have an A/C idle valve, or something along those lines that kick up the idle when the A/C is turned on. Do the Boxsters have anything similar?
Yes, the ECU will adjust the idle control valve to maintain a constant idle speed even as the engine load varies. The idle might vary a bit at A/C turn on/off when the load changes abruptly, but should quickly settle back to the normal rpm and maintain it.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 10-18-2019 at 09:07 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #12

My 99 idles about 50rpm higher with ac on, but its as smooth or smoother than the normal idle, no roughness

Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote