986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Is this normal? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/76448-normal.html)

Jgkram 10-17-2019 07:25 AM

Is this normal?

I don't use the heat/cool system a lot. My area is pretty temperate most of the year so not really necessary. However, when I do turn it on (especially the ac) it seems to overload the engine. By that I mean the idle will definitely drop and it will idle more roughly. Not to the point of cutting off but definitely not smooth like when the system is not engaged. Again, is this normal???

wwjd 10-17-2019 07:58 AM

I have an 2002 boxster. When I use the AC or heat, I notice almost no change in anything. MAYBE I can hear more belts getting used, but I notice almost nothing affecting power.... well, accelleration is reduced slightly with AC, but I dont hear idles drop or anything.

Just my input from my vehicle, and I know almost nothing about cars

rick3000 10-17-2019 09:21 AM

That doesn't sound normal to me, my climate control has no noticeable affect on the engine, except for a small drop (maybe 100-200RPM max) and readjustment in RPM when first turning on the AC.

dghii 10-17-2019 10:25 AM

It kinds like you have an AC Compressor clutch bearing that may be failing. The bad bearing could create a bigger drag (load) on your drive system. You may be better off replacing the entire compressor rather than just trying to do the clutch or clutch bearing. The bearing is not expensive but given the age of our vehicles, I am aAC compressor may not be far behind.

Jgkram 10-17-2019 10:47 AM

Thanks guys. It's a 2001 base with about 60k on her. Other than this issue, she has never given me one minute's problem. I use it as my DD year round and have kept a rigorous preventive/regular maintenance program since my ownership. Thank goodness i don't use this system much as i have never experienced this in any of my other vehicles.

ianacole 10-17-2019 11:06 AM

Older cars have an A/C idle valve, or something along those lines that kick up the idle when the A/C is turned on. Do the Boxsters have anything similar?

Stl-986 10-17-2019 12:19 PM

take your front bumper off and clean your radiators out. Look through youtube for this.

Blackcloud 10-17-2019 02:21 PM

Sounds normal to me. The system is doing extra work. Nothing to be alarmed about.

kk2002s 10-18-2019 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 605263)
It kinds like you have an AC Compressor clutch bearing that may be failing. The bad bearing could create a bigger drag (load) on your drive system. You may be better off replacing the entire compressor rather than just trying to do the clutch or clutch bearing. The bearing is not expensive but given the age of our vehicles, I am aAC compressor may not be far behind.

+1 if your seeing a large drop/load starting the AC.
The only thing I hear/feel is the AC clutch engaging and maybe a slight drop of RPM if at idle

I only use my AC on damp nights to defog and to exercise the system. Should run it from time to time to exercise

bcrdukes 10-18-2019 10:30 AM

While your Boxster has relatively low mileage, it's a matter of age where parts and components may require attention.

How old is your battery, and have you changed any of your drive pulleys and belts? As others have suggested, it's a good idea to let the system run from time to time.

thstone 10-18-2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgkram (Post 605249)
I don't use the heat/cool system a lot. My area is pretty temperate most of the year so not really necessary. However, when I do turn it on (especially the ac) it seems to overload the engine. By that I mean the idle will definitely drop and it will idle more roughly. Not to the point of cutting off but definitely not smooth like when the system is not engaged.

Again, is this normal???

No, this is not normal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianacole (Post 605268)
Older cars have an A/C idle valve, or something along those lines that kick up the idle when the A/C is turned on. Do the Boxsters have anything similar?

Yes, the ECU will adjust the idle control valve to maintain a constant idle speed even as the engine load varies. The idle might vary a bit at A/C turn on/off when the load changes abruptly, but should quickly settle back to the normal rpm and maintain it.

Quadcammer 10-19-2019 09:27 AM

My 99 idles about 50rpm higher with ac on, but its as smooth or smoother than the normal idle, no roughness