Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #1

Front Windshield trim/moulding replace??

Q for the group. The trim around the front windshield is worn and cracked. Is it possible to remove and replace without taking out the windshield?

2001 986 S.

oldschool2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:46 AM   #2
Who's askin'?

You have trim AROUND the windshield?
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
You have trim AROUND the windshield?
I have trim around the my windshield. Every vehicle ever I've owned has had trim.

Or... is it molding... weatherstripping. Nah, it's a Porsche. Trim.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #4
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool2001 View Post
Q for the group. The trim around the front windshield is worn and cracked. Is it possible to remove and replace without taking out the windshield?

2001 986 S.
I've had my windshield replaced twice for my 986 S cars. Once they used a stock rubber gasket...used but in perfect condition. I recall a new stock trim was unreasonably expensive. On the other car they used an aftermarket which looks different...all black rubber.
They have to take out the windshield as I remember. it wraps around and is glued in and I heard that the "s" trim is different.

Last edited by tonythetiger; 09-03-2019 at 09:14 AM.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #5

The S trim is different, it is two pieces, one is black plastic and one is titanium gray plastic. It is glued on. When I had my windshield replaced I had to buy the two pieces from a Porsche dealer for my glass guy to glue to the windshield before he could install it. Otherwise he would have used some generic black trim he had. He said the old trim on my windshield couldn't be reused, it was a bit tired after 15 years so I didn't question it and bought new.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:34 AM   #6

Well, yes, kinda...

I did replace the trim on my '02 S so that qualifies as proof that it can be done but my oh my what a PITA! Here's a link to my web site that shows the adventures that I had with this project. https://rx19jones.wixsite.com/projectboxster/projectboxster-3

cheers- dj

(not sure why this photo posted upside down...)
Old 09-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #7
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Noice!
That project is on my bucket list, too. The new chrome trim has been sitting here for years, now.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #8

My 02S has the same problem , the black portion is in good shape but the titanium color insert is crumbling due to sun exposure . There must be something out there even if it is black in color that can be inserted . It is on my list to research and replace .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #9

A 986 S,

Thanks for your walk-through in doing this! Where did you buy the trim and would you happen to know the part number?

Thanks!
cc986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by A 986 S View Post
I did replace the trim on my '02 S so that qualifies as proof that it can be done but my oh my what a PITA! Here's a link to my web site that shows the adventures that I had with this project. https://rx19jones.wixsite.com/projectboxster/projectboxster-3

cheers- dj

(not sure why this photo posted upside down...)
Thanks for that (very nice DIY site BTW). I’m convinced that a strip and paint in place is the most reasonable fix now as long as the trim is in good shape structurally.
‘11 958 S
https://dergarage.com
CBRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 08:59 AM   #11

Very old thread but has anyone else accomplished this task. My trim is broken in several spots and needs to be replaced. Not sure if I should try or just get someone to remove the windshield.
Old 12-30-2023, 05:26 AM   #12

If repairing/repainting the trim in place isn't an option, I don't see a downside of trying to remove the old trim before taking the drastic step of removing the windshield.

Assuming that you have the two-piece S trim, the first step would be to remove the black rubber seal. You may be able to clean and reuse that part. Use a hair dryer or heat gun to soften the glue and gently pry away the old trim with forceps or needle nose plyers. Be careful and take your time. It probably won't be quick and easy, but you should be able to remove the old trim.

Of course, if it doesn't work out you still have the option of removing the windshield and installing the new trim when reinstalling it.

Good luck and let us know how your project goes.

dj
Old 12-30-2023, 06:25 AM   #13

Guess I will give it a try. Have an S model and already have the metal trim piece. The rubber piece is good but noticed the metal can’t be saved and won’t hold the rubber in place anymore.