Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2023, 10:55 PM   #1

Exclamation 2002 Boxster 986, no power, please help

Hello everyone! My dad has had this Boxster for a good couple of years and suddenly after having taken it out on a drive, it died (?). He has given me it in hopes that I may find a solution and fix it.

I'm new to fixing cars but have great memories with this one and would like to try.

Currently, when I turn the key NOTHING happens. no lights on the dash or anything.

I checked the battery and it's new and working fine. From looking at other posts, I think it may be the alternator, immobilizer, or maybe the ignition barrel but I have no clue, any advice helps!

MMadrid_986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 04:31 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Go back to your dad... ask him EXACTLY what happened when the car failed.

Noises?

Performance issues?

Shaking? Shimmying?

Have you checked for codes?

Give us some details. What other posts might suggest have nothing to do with the current event... for you/we have absolutely no/ZERO clue what might be wrong with the car. You don't want to start throwing money at it. Save that effort for a Toyota.

Let us know. Report back.
Old 12-21-2023, 11:39 AM   #3

I would check out the ignition switch and also the connector at the end of the battery (where the + plugs into a power distribution box located at the firewall (and underneath) the glove box.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 12:52 PM   #4

+1 on getting more detailed information on what happened when the car quit running.

How did you check the battery and determine it was good? A simple voltage test showing 12 V doesn't mean much. Remove the battery and take it to a auto store and have it load tested. Check battery connections for corrosion and make sure they are tight.
Do your lights work when you turn headlights on? What about interior lights?

Report back!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 05:56 PM   #5

I add main fuses and ground wires.

And yes, it would be very helpful to get more information.