Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #1

Can Someone Identify This Random Hose?

Decided to clean out my intake as well as the MAF so removed the intake and throttle and I noticed what appeared to be a vacuum life just hanging there which is coming from under the drivers side intake manifold. When sticking my hand around I found this T connector which had another Vacuum line coming off of it as well as a piece of tube which had been blanked off with a screw.

Any ideas what the heck this is for or where the other side of this Vacuum hose goes?

gti13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:30 PM   #2

Looks like the check valve line from the intake sleeve.

Check in here:

https://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/64576-vacuum-line-clarification.html
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
In regard to the vacuum connections, here's that diagram, created with actual parts from a scrapped 2001 2.7L.

Notes:
-This picture shows what connections have to be made, the actual order of connections to the Y fittings (I) and (G) are not critical.
-The Tiptronic cars will have a 4-way connection at (I) or (G) with a line running to a changeover valve on the transmission.

It looks like a mess of tubes and parts, but in function it is fairly simple.
This shows 3 vacuum powered components: SAI, Resonance Flapper, and Fuel Pressure Regulator. Brake booster vacuum system is not shown.
SAI: Vacuum source -> electric change-over valve (E) -> change-over valve (D).
Resonance Flapper: Vacuum source -> electric change-over valve (J) -> vacuum unit (K).
Fuel Pressure Regulator: Vacuum source (B) -> Pressure regulator (C) -> injector valves (A).

Rubber sleeves (L) and (B) are the source of vacuum from the intake. (H) is a check valve. (F) is the vacuum reservoir.
Thanks, after looking over this I am not really sure which part goes where as I have a long thin line connected into part I with part H blanked off and the side of G there was a line coming off not another T connector
Old 07-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #4

this might help as well:

https://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/69281-where-does-go-vacuum-valve.html

When I removed mine for cleaning I had the line to the electronic change-over valve just hanging loose and it took a while to locate where it went.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallean View Post
this might help as well:

https://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/69281-where-does-go-vacuum-valve.html

When I removed mine for cleaning I had the line to the electronic change-over valve just hanging loose and it took a while to locate where it went.
Okay so Line G is if you have an Automatic transmission? if so I have a 5 speed Manual

L should plug into the passenger side throttle body pipe, ill have to look for this as I dont remember seeing this but I will double check
Old 07-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gti13 View Post
Thanks, after looking over this I am not really sure which part goes where as I have a long thin line connected into part I with part H blanked off and the side of G there was a line coming off not another T connector
Interesting, I'd guess that you don't have a functional SAI system or resonance flapper valve.

Long thin line should probably go from the 3-way to (J) to (K).

The Black end of (H) should connect to the vacuum source (hole in the rubber coupling band on the intake).
Old 07-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Okay so Line G is if you have an Automatic transmission? if so I have a 5 speed Manual
In the diagram, (G) is a 3-way and you should have two 3-way connectors on a 2000 or later manual trans 986. The Tip' will have a 3-way and a 4-way. Your other 3-way should probably be on or near (F), the vacuum reservoir.

Quote:
L should plug into the passenger side throttle body pipe, ill have to look for this as I dont remember seeing this but I will double check
(L) is the rubber coupling on the intake that has a small hole that (H) or a piece of the smaller more rigid tubing can poke into.

The arrow is pointing to (L), where (H) should be connected either directly or with a small piece of tubing:

Last edited by 78F350; 07-02-2019 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Added pic from another post
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:48 AM   #8

Thanks so much for your help guys, the line plugged into the small tubing on the passenger rear intake piping

I did notice another open T-connector on the passenger side under the intake mainifold

However I took it for a drive with the new plugs, spark Plug tubes, cleaned maf, new air filter and it revs so smoothly now and doesnt have that dead spot mid rpms, I did previously have a check engine light which so far has not popped up although I have only driven it maybe 10 or 15 miles since.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:02 AM   #9

You could do a simple vacuum test. A vacuum gauge costs about $20.00.
Then you will know for sure that you at least have proper vacuum to the intake. Reading should be 19-22 with a steady needle.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #10

Seems to be driving very well, I put atleast 80 miles on it and no check engine light or lumpy runnings

only problem is I fixed this issue and now the passenger side window has gone out so will be replacing this when the new one arrives later this week
Old 08-07-2019, 05:05 PM   #11

So I am pretty sure this hose has popped out again and the hesitation is back, it seemed to slip in so easily so I am sure its popped back out again

How do you go about keeping this loose hose inserted in the hole?
Old 08-07-2019, 05:33 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
... How do you go about keeping this loose hose inserted in the hole?
Has the hole in the rubber sleeve that the vacuum hose goes into softened and stretched? Buy a new rubber sleeve: part no 99611068552 for about $25.
Or buy some tubing that is a little bit larger. I think the stock vacuum tubing has a 3.5 or 4 mm outer diameter.
Or just wrap a little piece of tape around the tubing to make it fit the hole more snug.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #13

Quote:
So I am pretty sure this hose has popped out again and the hesitation is back, it seemed to slip in so easily so I am sure its popped back out again

How do you go about keeping this loose hose inserted in the hole?
You can also use a small cable tie to hold the hose in place.

dsjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote