Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #1
More of a truck guy

Valve Job - Bay Area/Sacramento, CA???

I need to get all the exhaust and intake valves replaced on my 2000 2.7 Base. All got bent, when it jumped timing because of a broken piece of chain rail.

Anybody know of a good, reasonably priced shop that can check the head and replace the valves, and maybe the guides, that is in either the Bay Area or Sacramento?

Old 07-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #2
Will there be cake?

Garage
Send it out, I’m thinking flat6? I never had to go at it, can others weigh in here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #3

If you tear down the engine, Victory Machine in San Jose.

We use them at the dealership all the time. Good people, old school machine work.
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
More of a truck guy

Yep. Head is already off and torn down.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
More of a truck guy

Maybe I should ask.....Can ANY good machine shop do the work on the heads, or does it take some special type of Porsche knowledge to work on these heads? Is head work, head work, no matter the car?
Old 07-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #6

Any head shop can do the job. The problem is, which toolmaker within the shop will do the job.

I had an experience with my Ducai 900 1980. I dropped the goods off, spent 1/2 hr telling the man at the desk how I wanted it done. Drove off and then remembered I had left my cheque book behind. (Was a while ago) Drove back and saw the machinist looking at my head and doing just what I didn't want done. I complained and he gave me my goods back and told me to f... off.

Went home and bought a milling machine. The rest is history as I run a machine shop now.

So the bottom line is, can you trust the person who is doing the job, not necessarly the company. References from others is probably the best way.
marsheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #7

ENGINE DYNAMICS

Try these guys.
SlowernOlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:33 AM   #8
Track rat

Garage
Eeesh. If there was piston contact and bent valves, there is a good chance the rod bearings were also scored during impact. Might be time for a total rebuild to refresh the motor rather than doing the top end now, only to toss a rod later. Food for thought.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:25 AM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Bent valves and affordable do not belong in the same sentence. That is major engine damage.

You need to have a top notch shop inspect the ENTIRE engine and provide options. Give BR Racing in Las Gatos a call and if they can't help, they can probably point you in the right direction to someone local who can.

Ask me how I know all of this (I am on Engine #5).

BRR Performance
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 07-14-2019 at 09:29 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:07 AM   #10

Garage
I wouldn’t touch that motor. Buy a rebuilt motor for ~$8k. Or just replace the entire car for about the same. Boxsters have so little value, it doesn’t make economic sense to machine the heads and replace valves. You will wind up in deep and you have no way of knowing if the bottom end was also damaged when the valves were bent. The approach would be different if this were a 911.
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:13 AM   #11
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Want Parts?

I recently pulled a 2001 2.7L that I know has a bad head on the left side. The right may be good. I have only disassembled it as far is this picture:

If you are interested PM me and I can prioritize disassembly to see what I have. The right side is complete/matched, but I am still not sure of the internal condition of the head.

Last edited by 78F350; 07-18-2019 at 05:15 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:37 AM   #12
More of a truck guy

Thanks all. Maybe a little background is due. I think I might have inadvertently given you a false impression that this car is important to me. It isn’t....I have another 986 and a beautiful 911 that are my “babies”. Here is the story.....

The daughter of the owner was driving the car, when it all of a sudden, “just stopped running”. While the owner had it in the shop, getting diagnosed, he passed away. The wife had it hauled home and it sat for several years. I bought it for $700, knowing it didn’t run and had some type of major issue. Not my first rodeo with a broken M96 engine. I could part it out for more than what I paid for it.

Long story short, it jumped timing because a piece of chain guide broke off and lodged in a the scavenger pump sprocket. Looks like an incomplete previous repair job, because all the guides looked new. Bank 1 valves were bent. Rest of the car was dirty, but in pretty good condition.

The easy thing to do, is drop a replacement engine in, and roll along. I get that, and have an engine I could drop in and make it a nice runner, if that was my goal. I can do all that work myself.

My goal was to see if I could get it running again, with minimal cost, keeping my fingers crossed that no additional internal damage was done. If there is, then so be it. My plan is to get some new valves and head bolts, and roll the dice. I can install the valves, but just wanted input on someone that could replace the guides, if they were bad, or check the head for warpage.

My ultimate goal is to let the widow and her daughter drive the car for a weekend, and then maybe track the car until it dies. I don’t mind throwing a few hundred bucks at it.

Thanks again for all the input.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:23 AM   #13

Garage
Here's a diagram since my record on knowing which bank is which is about 50/50.

I think that my 'possibly good' bank is what you need.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #14
More of a truck guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Here's a diagram since my record on knowing which bank is which is about 50/50.

I think that my 'possibly good' bank is what you need.
Yep. That’s the one I could use.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:18 PM   #15

Garage
That head is removed and it all looks good to me. Here's pics just after it was removed.
Head:

Block:

I'm bringing it to work for a rinse in a parts cleaner, but it's not going to be a professional cleaning.

I am planning to clean and box everything from the head gasket out and estimate shipping to San Ramon, CA.

I assume that the head bolts are one-time, then trash? I've always been more of an engine disassembler than 'rebuilder'.

I want money. ...lots of money and it can be yours.