View Single Post
Old 07-18-2019, 06:37 AM   #12
TNT79Bronco
More of a truck guy

Thanks all. Maybe a little background is due. I think I might have inadvertently given you a false impression that this car is important to me. It isn’t....I have another 986 and a beautiful 911 that are my “babies”. Here is the story.....

The daughter of the owner was driving the car, when it all of a sudden, “just stopped running”. While the owner had it in the shop, getting diagnosed, he passed away. The wife had it hauled home and it sat for several years. I bought it for $700, knowing it didn’t run and had some type of major issue. Not my first rodeo with a broken M96 engine. I could part it out for more than what I paid for it.

Long story short, it jumped timing because a piece of chain guide broke off and lodged in a the scavenger pump sprocket. Looks like an incomplete previous repair job, because all the guides looked new. Bank 1 valves were bent. Rest of the car was dirty, but in pretty good condition.

The easy thing to do, is drop a replacement engine in, and roll along. I get that, and have an engine I could drop in and make it a nice runner, if that was my goal. I can do all that work myself.

My goal was to see if I could get it running again, with minimal cost, keeping my fingers crossed that no additional internal damage was done. If there is, then so be it. My plan is to get some new valves and head bolts, and roll the dice. I can install the valves, but just wanted input on someone that could replace the guides, if they were bad, or check the head for warpage.

My ultimate goal is to let the widow and her daughter drive the car for a weekend, and then maybe track the car until it dies. I don’t mind throwing a few hundred bucks at it.

Thanks again for all the input.