Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2019, 07:18 AM   #1

IMS retrofit vs. IMS solution?

I have a 1999 Boxster with 40K I recently purchased. I want it to last and with everything I’ve read on the internet there are just no guarantees if your IMS bearing will fail or not. I found a shop that will install one at a reasonable price. I’m trying to educate myself on the different ones available. It looks like most install the LN Engineering bearings. Is the biggest difference between the IMS retrofit and IMS solution price and longevity? It looks like the retrofit is good for 75K and the solution is lifetime with about a $1000 difference in price. I don’t plan to track the car. Just a Sunday driver. Are there any statistics on the IMS retrofit failing after a certain amount of time or mileage? Or is it worth the extra $1000 to install the IMS solution?

wrs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:46 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

First, there is a 90%-95% probability that your engine will be fine. Start there.

The only real "guarantee" is the IMS Solution. Everything else is a somewhat better crap shoot; but a crap shoot nonetheless.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #3

I just had mine done. I had 196,000km on the clock on the original IMS

https://www.europeanpartssolution.com/rebuilt-ims-upgraded-bearing

Got this put in. They say it should last the rest of the cars life.
Fuzzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:42 PM   #4

If it were me, I would do it at a clutch change, “while you are there”. Your motor has to qualify for “The Solution”. If you search you can find about 8 million pages on the IMS discussion. It’s worth the effort, some of the discussions are quite humorous. And in the craziness, there is also some good, reasonable, information.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:29 AM   #5

I agree Geof3, there is a life time of information regarding the IMS bearing on this site.

I was in your shoes a year ago. I decided to use the Retro fit. My reasoning was budget related, I ended up replacing the water pump, clutch, IMS at the same time. I trusted the Retro fit to be a more robust bearing than the stock bearing so I was fine with it.

Good luck, I used to be IMS paranoid but I have found my that has lessened in the year I have owned mine.
gsy4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:46 AM   #6

I’ll ask the mechanics at the shop when I take it in for an oil change to see what they recommend. Through an email conversation with the service writer he said he has only seen on IMS failure. I’m not sure how long he has been there. I agree that an extra $1000 is a lot on a car I might put 3000-5000 miles a year on. I think the retrofit might be a better option. I’d just like to see any information on how long the retrofit holds up in real world driving.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:57 AM   #7

gsy4771, can I ask what you paid for all that? I’ve been quoted $2000-$4000 by different shops. The $4000 is coming coming from a shop that is trying to put the fear of god into me and getting the IMS replaced immediately. I don’t like their tactics.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:54 PM   #8

First thing is do an oil filter inspection, possibly pull your pan too. If they are clean, don’t sweat it and drive the car. As The Stone mentioned, it is FAR more likely you won’t have an issue than you will. Particularly with a 99.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:37 AM   #9
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I recently pulled an engine from an '01 with about 110k miles. It had the original IMS bearing, a dual row, and it looked great. There was no play and the bearing turned smoothly:

The IMS bearing was good, but the rest of the engine didn't seem to care. It could have had an IMS Solution; The exhaust valve and much of the #2 piston would still be in the sump:

I still think that the IMS Solution is the best way to go if you want your Boxster to be your 'forever car'.

*I purchased this car with a known bad engine and don't know the context of its failure other than highway driving when the engine stopped.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrs986 View Post
I have a 1999 Boxster with 40K I recently purchased. I want it to last and with everything I’ve read on the internet there are just no guarantees if your IMS bearing will fail or not. I found a shop that will install one at a reasonable price. I’m trying to educate myself on the different ones available. It looks like most install the LN Engineering bearings. Is the biggest difference between the IMS retrofit and IMS solution price and longevity? It looks like the retrofit is good for 75K and the solution is lifetime with about a $1000 difference in price. I don’t plan to track the car. Just a Sunday driver. Are there any statistics on the IMS retrofit failing after a certain amount of time or mileage? Or is it worth the extra $1000 to install the IMS solution?
I changed my 99 tip at 133kms. If you replace it no more worries. That grand wont look that big if it goes kablammo.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:21 AM   #11

Why spend that much money for either one?
Just drive the car and enjoy it!
Change your oil on a regular basis and use that money for something else.
springer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:28 PM   #12

I have been wrestling with either do the Solution system, 3500.00 installed by a vendor,Or buy a low mileage engine for around the same money for IF or when that day comes ..?? It's basically either or but obviously the back up engine is the smartest choice if it's a good engine
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:34 PM   #13

78F350 so that IMS. Bearing is from Japan, so of course it held up ..Lol
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:47 PM   #14

Garage
What are you cam deviations showing? If the are steady then I wouldn’t worry about the IMS. Just monitor it with the durametric tool.
Rickvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:05 PM   #15

go to the forums on rennlist under the 996 and 986/Boxster forums. search IMS and you'll find more than you ever wanted to know.

FWIW, in your situation I wouldn't do anything until you need a clutch, then maybe go with the LN Engineering retrofit. For a base 99 model, the cost of the "Solution" is nearly as much as an entire used engine, and just not worth it in my opinion.

jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote