Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2019, 08:32 AM   #1

Rear quarter panel Paintless Dent removal

Just asking if any folks here have been through this ?

Tomorrow a PDR guy will come here for a small ding on the left quarter panel. The ding is above the rear wheel maybe 7-8 inches toward the front.

Can this spot be accessed if the tail light is removed ? I also heard that it could be accessed by removing the intake grill but tricky since many clips can break.

Also I want to avoid drilling the inner fender.
Any input on this ?

TIA

pomerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
Will there be cake?

Garage
I used a service offered at a detail shop in town. Very highly rated on Yelp and stuff.
The PDR guys pulled a one inch vertical crease out of my rear fender, just above the wheel well while I waited. (they wouldn't let me watch, said they had secrets to there craft)
the dent looked like it was caused by someone lightly hitting the car with an axe.
It took them about 20 minutes and its almost perfect. I was amazed.
Let us here how it works out, im guessing they will know what they are doing if they have good reviews.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #3

I've had excellent luck with PDR. Have not done it on my current car but had it done multiple times (bad luck) on a BMW Z4. There was only one time the tech could not easily access a dent. He drilled a very small hole in the vertical part of the door jamb to get to a spot low on the door. He treated the hole and used a small black pug to cover. Wasn't even something anyone would notice unless you pointed it out.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #4

in our area we have Dent Pro.

I am always amazed at the work they do. We have them out to our dealership weekly working on trade-ins and such. They popped two dents out on my Boxster and fixed an outward dimple on my rear trunk lid when I bought the Box... Can't even see them any more.

He also fixed some rock chips in the nose. Again for the yellowish aged white paint, he matched it perfectly. Said it was Honda white from the 90's, said it was perfect for older white Porsches.
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
The PDR techs are wizards. Unless your cars is a concours winner, let them drill and plug the hole if they need to.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #6

Thanks all for your comments.

I finally answered my own question.
Yes the upper quarter panel area can be accessed removing the tail light.

About 27-28 inches deep. After that there is a transversal plastic support bedded in yellow foam.

Lucky because the ding seems to be a inch before that support.

The access is at the leftmost hole. See the red circle on the pic below.

Again thanks all.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:17 AM   #7
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I had a series of dents and one 'bulge' repaired by a PDR shop. They did every one of them without accessing from below the dent, all were done from the surface with a variety of tools. Once done there wasn't a trace of the dents These guys, the good ones, are amazing.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #8

I had a dent right on the top center of my driver side rear wheel well lip. My paintless dent guy could not access it through either the air intake grill or the tail light. When my engine was out for its rebuild and my air box was being changed to the 987 unit, my shop had their PDR guy fix it. I'm not sure if he got to it from the engine bay or did something external. The dent was small but had a crease in it, someone opened their car door and struck my car. Now it is completely gone!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #9
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
How about a before and after picture, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomerlo View Post
Thanks all for your comments.

I finally answered my own question.
Yes the upper quarter panel area can be accessed removing the tail light.

About 27-28 inches deep. After that there is a transversal plastic support bedded in yellow foam.

Lucky because the ding seems to be a inch before that support.

The access is at the leftmost hole. See the red circle on the pic below.

Again thanks all.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #10

Yeah...finally we end up by drilling a hole in the inner fender. The PDR guy said that thru the tail light was too far from the ding to have enough leverage.

Very satisfied with the result. It is back at 99 %
Impossible to see by someone who dont know where exactly the ding was.

It was his first Boxster. He said the metal sheet is thick like hell and kind of difficult to work with. But end up pretty well.

-------------------------------------------------

Before
Name:  IMG_16663.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  14.2 KB

After

Again thanks all for your input !

Last edited by pomerlo; 06-10-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #11

Very nice!!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #12
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
That came out great. Eventually, you will forget exactly where to look.

My car has a dent almost the exact same size, spot and color. (self inflicted I might add) I was looking for an air leak with my scope and oops. I have access to the PDR shop that our dealer uses for all of their cars. Bit of a drive, but worth it. They took a spot out of our 09 S before we sold it. Also required some paint that matched perfectly. Wizards I tell you.