Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2019, 06:43 AM   #1

Water pump failed - got stranded

Hello folks,

So after few months that i was delaying the water pump replacement, i got stranded. Thankfully the pump went while i was 5 meters away from parking the car, so no overheating happened.

Warning light came on, i tried to refill with water initially, only to find out that the water was immediately getting drained under the car. Havent opened yet to check what damage has been done exactly, but have some stuff to ask.

Im thinking to DIY this job (already bought Pierburg) but im not sure what things i must check to be sure of any -side- damages cause of the pump "exploding".

Also, after i install new pump, what shall i pay attention to, regading the new coolant ill fill into ?

Some say that i must open the bleeder valve for releasing the coolant pressure ?!

Thanks!

Lacostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:55 AM   #2

your concern is that the impellar blades cracked off and are wedged in the head or oil cooler. If your blades are accounted for or a bit scored but not gone, you should be fine. If water is pouring out that easily however, that likely means the bearing was cooked and you may have had quite a lot of wobble on the impeller. Won't know till you get it off.

If no issue, then install new water pump, get the ass end of the car way up in the air, open the bleeder, pour in most of the new coolant till tank is full, run car, hold revs at like 2500 until thermostat opens and then continue filling.

Drive for next few days with vent cap open, top up as needed, and you're done.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
your concern is that the impellar blades cracked off and are wedged in the head or oil cooler. If your blades are accounted for or a bit scored but not gone, you should be fine. If water is pouring out that easily however, that likely means the bearing was cooked and you may have had quite a lot of wobble on the impeller. Won't know till you get it off.

If no issue, then install new water pump, get the ass end of the car way up in the air, open the bleeder, pour in most of the new coolant till tank is full, run car, hold revs at like 2500 until thermostat opens and then continue filling.

Before failing, for couple of months there was a "diesel like" engine nocking sound, coming from the water pump.

1) get the ass end of the car way up in the air -> Really needed ?
2) run car, ---> Start the engine with Bleeder open ?
3) Drive for next few days with vent cap open --> Vent cap you mean the bleeder or the Coolant vent that i fill coolant into ?

If the car is hot and the coolant vent cap is open, isnt this supposed to be bad ? I remember they say never open the coolant vent while car is hot

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2019, 07:11 AM   #4

might as well replace the thermostat with a lower type of 160 degrees.
ndfrigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:32 AM   #5
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacostas View Post
1) get the ass end of the car way up in the air -> Really needed ?
2) run car, ---> Start the engine with Bleeder open ?
3) Drive for next few days with vent cap open --> Vent cap you mean the bleeder or the Coolant vent that i fill coolant into ?
Or, if you can afford/justify it, use an Airlift. They really are as easy to use as the youtube videos show. I can't imagine doing it 'old school' now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQnfUe6P5VI
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Or, if you can afford/justify it, use an Airlift. They really are as easy to use as the youtube videos show. I can't imagine doing it 'old school' now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQnfUe6P5VI

I prefer the old school for now. But I don’t know how
Old 05-31-2019, 08:32 AM   #7

Garage
+1 on the airlift but doing the bleeder valve way can work.
Rear up high is to get air bubble to travel out of radiators to highest point, the Bleeder valve.
Fill cap tight, Bleeder open

+1 on low temp thermo

When I did mine for preventive maintenance, I flushed a couple times with distilled water then final re-fill with Porsche Pink

Good luck and hopefully your old WP didn't do any damage
Old 05-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:

This. Exactly this. Don't overthink it.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:58 AM   #9
Will there be cake?

Garage
airlift is better for 2 reasons

low tech is fine, just takes an extra hour and isn't perfect...you might STILL end up with air bubbles and with the airlift, you also confirm the system holds pressure. win-win
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:09 PM   #10

there's a whole tech article that covers all of this
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/34-WATER-Thermostat_and_Pump/34-WATER-Thermostat_and_Pump.htm
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:10 PM   #11
Will there be cake?

Garage
new water pump(s) time for me

rather then start start a new post...Opinions, y'all

I am replacing the water pumps on 2 of my cars, 2001 and 2002 S with 100K and 82K respectively. since I'm replacing the front mounts, this is a while I'm in there thing. Going to the 160 degree thermostat and replacing the serpentine belt. Anything else?

Most important, is it critical to use the composite impeller opposed to aluminum? The URO pump says aluminum impeller and I have been happy with their parts. I get if the WP implodes, composite does less damage, but I want to hear about this.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #12

use the oem Pierberg composite impeller pump.

I'd consider doing the two big coolant hoses that run up to the radiators.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:04 PM   #13
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:

yep, the consensus seems to be pierberg...adds money to the job, but figure Ill follow that advice. Which hoses, are there part numbers out there? THIS IS THE 3.2 S MODEL (BOTH OF THEM)
The hoses do worry me since these are nearly 20 years old. are some more prone to failure then others?
Old 06-03-2019, 03:13 PM   #14

Garage
I replaced the oil heat exchanger O rings while I did WP thermo coolant
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #15
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

... might as well upgrade the oil pressure relief valve, while you're under there. Inexpensive part... 5 minute job.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #16
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:

if you are talking the hoses back by the pump and thermostat, why not, about 75 bucks in parts? I will at least be prepared to replace them.
so this is the hose off the thermostat, i think

996-106-502-04

for the hose off the WP, one of my cars is tiptronic and the other is manual, (2002 and 2001) having a hard time telling which hose is for each car, but appears they are different.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:27 PM   #17
Racer Boy

I just replaced the WP on my 2002 2.7. I replaced the pump, the thermostat w/low temp model, the engine mount, and all the hoses that come off the engine that you can get to while under the car - two big ones that go to the water pipes that run to the radiators, and two smaller hoses. It was all pretty accessible once the car was up high enough. I replaced the WP (Pierberg) from the front access panel, and while I was there installed an underdrive pulley. Since cooling was on my mind, I also replaced the bleeder valve O-rings.

Replace the hoses after you replaced the front engine mount, the big hoses are right in the way of the mount.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
rather then start start a new post...Opinions, y'all

I am replacing the water pumps on 2 of my cars, 2001 and 2002 S with 100K and 82K respectively. since I'm replacing the front mounts, this is a while I'm in there thing. Going to the 160 degree thermostat and replacing the serpentine belt. Anything else?

Most important, is it critical to use the composite impeller opposed to aluminum? The URO pump says aluminum impeller and I have been happy with their parts. I get if the WP implodes, composite does less damage, but I want to hear about this.
The metal impeller can shave the block and increase the tolerance between the impeller and the block, reducing cooling flow.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #19
Will there be cake?

Garage
Any advice, strike that, part numbers and diagrams for the rubber hoses in the cooling system. There are about a dozen and I can’t figure out what I want cruising around the bet. I have 2001 and 2002 Boxster 3.2 S, one is a tip and the other manual. Hoses differ a little.
Every other car I’ve had, I could get parts diagrams and could figure it out on my own. Even the dealer parts counter is challenged.
Anyone else figured this out, I promise I’ll share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2019, 05:09 AM   #20
Will there be cake?

Garage
parts list for cooling hoses and clamps near engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
Any advice, strike that, part numbers and diagrams for the rubber hoses in the cooling system. There are about a dozen and I can’t figure out what I want cruising around the bet. I have 2001 and 2002 Boxster 3.2 S, one is a tip and the other manual. Hoses differ a little.
Every other car I’ve had, I could get parts diagrams and could figure it out on my own. Even the dealer parts counter is challenged.
Anyone else figured this out, I promise I’ll share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keeping in mind that the hose from water pump is different for the tiptronics, found this in another post and it has me on my way; Manual 986 Boxster S:

1 900-123-144-30 Crush Washer/Sealing Ring for Coolant Drain Plug (10 X 14 X 1 mm), Boxster/Boxster S (1997-04)

1 996-106-222-17 Water Hose to Water Pump (3-Way Hose), Boxster/Boxster S w/Manual Trans. (1997-04) (Purple Arrow)
OR
1 996-106-522-04 Water hose to water pump (4-way hose), tiptronic (2000-2004) (Purple Arrow)
*(1997-99) use 996-106-222-16

1 996-106-501-07 Water Hose to Water Flange at Oil Pump Housing (Large Hose), Boxster/Boxster S (1997-04) (Orange Arrow)
1 996-106-502-06 Water Hose to Water Flange (Large Hose), 986 Boxster/Boxster S (1997-04) (Green Arrow)
1 999-512-609-09 Hose Clamp 32 x 12
2 999-512-589-09 Hose Clamp 25 z 12
2 999-512-594-09 Hose Clamp 53 x 12
2 999-512-668-09 Hose Clamp 49 x 12
Attached Images

Last edited by tonythetiger; 06-07-2019 at 01:16 PM. Reason: updates and image