Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #1

Dead Battery (Please help!)

Many thanks in advance.

I have a 2003 Porsche Boxster with electronic hood switch at the drivers side. Unfortunately I have a dead battery today. I followed the instructions by plugging in a battery source to the positive terminal (red plug in the fuse box) and negative to the ground. The alarm immediately turns on and the hood switch is unresponsive. I’ve tried to pull the Horn fuse (2nd row third from the left) and alarm modules fuse. but alarm still goes off. I’ve also tried to turn the ignition key and doors as well as pushing the button.

Please help! I just need to pop my front hood in order to charge my battery. I am so frustrated I might tow it to my local dealer.

BigDpsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:04 AM   #2

If you have a battery tender with a cigarette lighter adapter you could try that and see if you get a different result than you did with the fuse box terminal.

Otherwise, if you can jack up the passenger side of the car using the jacking point behind the front tire, and remove the front wheel, you can then remove the inner fender liner and you'll find an emergency release cable taped to the bottom of the headlight tray. Remove the tape and pull the cable loop, it will open the front hood. Sometimes owners of Boxsters relocate this cable so that it is accessible from the tow hook socket behind the cap in the front bumper. You can pry off the tow hook cap in the cover and see if a previous owner of your car happened to do this.

You'll need a decent 19mm six point socket and a breaker bar to get the lugnuts off the wheel, since your lug wrench is probably locked in the trunk.

That's all I've got, good luck and let us know what happens.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
If you have a battery tender with a cigarette lighter adapter you could try that and see if you get a different result than you did with the fuse box terminal.

Otherwise, if you can jack up the passenger side of the car using the jacking point behind the front tire, and remove the front wheel, you can then remove the inner fender liner and you'll find an emergency release cable taped to the bottom of the headlight tray. Remove the tape and pull the cable loop, it will open the front hood. Sometimes owners of Boxsters relocate this cable so that it is accessible from the tow hook socket behind the cap in the front bumper. You can pry off the tow hook cap in the cover and see if a previous owner of your car happened to do this.

You'll need a decent 19mm six point socket and a breaker bar to get the lugnuts off the wheel, since your lug wrench is probably locked in the trunk.

That's all I've got, good luck and let us know what happens.
I second the battery tender with the cigarette lighter adapter, mine died last month due to a bad VR on the alternator, and the switch would not activate. Hook up the batter tender for a few minutes and the switch should work if there is enough juice in the battery to activate the latch.

I was doing some work on the passenger headlight and I found the release cable. I will try and reroute the wire handle to the tow hook socket. Thanks for the tip Paul. Good luck Big D.
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:57 PM   #4

Try also removing the fuse box cover housing on your left foot driver side. then find the cable for your front trunk and just carefully pull it. There is only 4 screw to remove the fuse cover housing.
ndfrigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #5

I went through this drill recently for the first time (a 2001 with the electronic hood release). I didn’t encounter the alarm going off problem, but a folded up piece up paper behind the fuse box cover had instructions (from Porsche) on what to do if this happened. I recall the instructions saying to insert your physical key into the driver’s door lock and rotating it to silence the alarm. Then after silencing the alarm, operating the hood release switch.

Last edited by jakeru; 05-24-2019 at 11:30 AM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote