Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2019, 01:12 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Spokane wa
Posts: 12
Ignition switch electrical

Iím guessing that the electrical part of my ignition switch is failing. 1998 boxster with what Iím guessing is the original switch. With the switch in the run position but the car not running, I have full function of both the headlights and wipers. Once the car is started and running, the wipers do not work and the headlights are very dim. I am able to get full function of both if I start and shut-off the car multiple times.
To me this sounds like the ignition switch. What does everyone think?
Sammyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 5,668
Garage
Definitely, 100% bad ignition switch.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #3
Registered User
 
tonythetiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 250
Garage
not sure, but the switch is easy enough to replace, takes about 5 minutes once you squezze yourself under the dash. You need a small flat blade screwdriver to loosen set screw (DONT REMOVE IT) and it pops right in. Pedros Garage explains the entire procedure in detail.
search on amazon for 4A0 905 849B, the vw/audi switch to see significant savings...its the same part selling for 30-60 dollars under porsche badge.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:33 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Spokane wa
Posts: 12
Thank you guys for the quick replies
Sammyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:16 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 212
While we're on the subject of ignition switches, which is better; The genuine Audi or the OEM?

Pelican has genuine Audi for $38.50 and OEM brand for $29.75

The OEM brand looks like the genuine Porsche, but I'm unclear if it's the OEM supplier or just OEM is just a brand name?

Which would you all recommend? Mine's pretty stiff to turn, so I think it's due for a new one before it bites the dust completely.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #6
Need For Speed
 
KRAM36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Funville
Posts: 2,058
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
While we're on the subject of ignition switches, which is better; The genuine Audi or the OEM?

Pelican has genuine Audi for $38.50 and OEM brand for $29.75

The OEM brand looks like the genuine Porsche, but I'm unclear if it's the OEM supplier or just OEM is just a brand name?

Which would you all recommend? Mine's pretty stiff to turn, so I think it's due for a new one before it bites the dust completely.
Just get the Meyle Ignition Switch, they are excellent and not expensive. I got mine from ECS Tuning shipped First Class Mail for $12.32 total, but they have raised the price $1 since I bought mine.
__________________
2003 Boxster S
| 987 Air Box | K&N Air Filter | 76mm Intake Pipe| 996 76mm TB | 997 Distribution T | Secondary Cat Delete Pipes | Borla Muffler | NHP 200 Cell Exhaust Headers |
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Laval QC
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
... Mine's pretty stiff to turn, so I think it's due for a new one before it bites the dust completely.
An ignition that is stiff to turn may not be the electrical switch. An easy test is to remove the electrical switch and see if that eliminates the stiffness. That was not the case for my 2000 5-speed. Turning the key was difficult, then about a week ago it would not turn even to the first position... removed the electrical switch... same problem. I finally had to remove the whole steering lock mechanism and found that the bolt (bolt as in a dead-bolt) that slides into the steering shaft to lock it was stuck in the advanced position. Once the mechanism was out I oiled the bolt and everything now works. Meanwhile I had bought a used mechanism that I installed. My other Boxster is showing the same stiffness so I am going to remove the ignition key barrel and spray oil in that I hope will make its way down to the bolt and loosen it up.
I plan to do a thread on this experience for future generations because learned a lot.
__________________
Grant
Green 2000 Boxster 5-speed
1978 928 auto
1987 924S 5-speed
Blue 2000 Boxster 5-speed (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #8
Registered User
 
tonythetiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 250
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
An ignition that is stiff to turn may not be the electrical switch. An easy test is to remove the electrical switch and see if that eliminates the stiffness. That was not the case for my 2000 5-speed. Turning the key was difficult, then about a week ago it would not turn even to the first position... removed the electrical switch... same problem. I finally had to remove the whole steering lock mechanism and found that the bolt (bolt as in a dead-bolt) that slides into the steering shaft to lock it was stuck in the advanced position. Once the mechanism was out I oiled the bolt and everything now works. Meanwhile I had bought a used mechanism that I installed. My other Boxster is showing the same stiffness so I am going to remove the ignition key barrel and spray oil in that I hope will make its way down to the bolt and loosen it up.
I plan to do a thread on this experience for future generations because learned a lot.
Am I the only one that thinks oil in the ignition switch is a bad idea? I have always lubricated locks and such with graphite. Graphite lubricant doesn't attract dust and dirt, which will damage the locking mechanism. Also, i would be curious what oil does to the plastic parts of this mechanism over time.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:00 PM   #9
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 5,668
Garage
Definitely don't put oil or other wet lubricants in lock mechanisms. It will attract dirt/debris and eventually gum up pretty good.

Graphite only.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:48 AM   #10
Need For Speed
 
KRAM36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Funville
Posts: 2,058
Garage
Yep, graphite only, although this has nothing to do with the op's question.

Unless you just recently replaced the ignition switch, you're a complete idiot not to spend $15 to get a new ignition switch and replace the old switch if you're pulling the old ignition switch out to see if that's what's causing the hard turning of the key. If you can't cough up that $15, sell the car now.
__________________
2003 Boxster S
| 987 Air Box | K&N Air Filter | 76mm Intake Pipe| 996 76mm TB | 997 Distribution T | Secondary Cat Delete Pipes | Borla Muffler | NHP 200 Cell Exhaust Headers |
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:26 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Tailwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 116
Garage
Possible ignition switch issue

I bought the Meyle from Amazon $28.00 based on members' recommendations.
__________________
'99 986 Base
2010 Golf TDI
'74 914 2.0
'56 356A
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:59 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Laval QC
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
Am I the only one that thinks oil in the ignition switch is a bad idea? I have always lubricated locks and such with graphite. Graphite lubricant doesn't attract dust and dirt, which will damage the locking mechanism. Also, i would be curious what oil does to the plastic parts of this mechanism over time.
My intention is to pull the ignition barrel, so the oil is to lubricate the bolt which is below the barrel. The reason I am thinking oil and not graphite is that it is about 8 inches from where the barrel sits to the end of the bolt, all down hill, so my thinking is that the oil will get all the way to the bolt. Not sure that graphite powder would be able to work its way down.
But that being said perhaps I should try the graphite first. Is there a liquid that could be used to deliver the graphite and that would evaporate after? Some kind of alcohol?
__________________
Grant
Green 2000 Boxster 5-speed
1978 928 auto
1987 924S 5-speed
Blue 2000 Boxster 5-speed (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:04 AM   #13
Need For Speed
 
KRAM36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Funville
Posts: 2,058
Garage
Meyle ignition switch $14.94 including shipping. First link in this search.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ecstuning.com%2Fb-meyle-parts%2Fignition-switch%2F4a0905849b~mey%2F&t=ffsb&ia=web

Or $20.49 from Pelican including shipping.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/pel_search_2016.cgi?command=DWsearch&make=POR&description=4A0-905-849-BMY-INT
__________________
2003 Boxster S
| 987 Air Box | K&N Air Filter | 76mm Intake Pipe| 996 76mm TB | 997 Distribution T | Secondary Cat Delete Pipes | Borla Muffler | NHP 200 Cell Exhaust Headers |

Last edited by KRAM36; 05-19-2019 at 07:09 AM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:59 AM   #14
Registered User
 
tonythetiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 250
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
My intention is to pull the ignition barrel, so the oil is to lubricate the bolt which is below the barrel. The reason I am thinking oil and not graphite is that it is about 8 inches from where the barrel sits to the end of the bolt, all down hill, so my thinking is that the oil will get all the way to the bolt. Not sure that graphite powder would be able to work its way down.
But that being said perhaps I should try the graphite first. Is there a liquid that could be used to deliver the graphite and that would evaporate after? Some kind of alcohol?
for that I would use white lithium grease and work the bolt back and forth a little. That should last forever. Comes in tubes and spray. The spray is a mess but you can spray on cardboard and transfer with brush, toothpick etc.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:49 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 27
I will be very happy to pay you $250 to replace this damn switch.. I can't believe how you guys are doing this, and yes I've seen how you are doing it. What a PITA.
mikeinmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #16
Registered User
 
tonythetiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 250
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinmass View Post
I will be very happy to pay you $250 to replace this damn switch.. I can't believe how you guys are doing this, and yes I've seen how you are doing it. What a PITA.
The PITA is half the fun.
:+)
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page