Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2019, 06:39 AM   #21
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecar View Post
had that noise after driving.... if i depress clutch it goes away,happens ocassionaly for 7 years .Indy mentioned something about clutch?
good call: jrgill, add this to your troubleshooting list. "Depress clutch, see if noise changes / goes away".

It's really tough to get the full range from a video clip... so let's hope it's something simple.

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #22

Garage
Quick update: Based on prescribed steps offered by Maytag, I had only about 5 minutes to check start-up noise and then depressing of the clutch.

At start-up, I heard three distinct knocks, and it then ended. I ran the car for about 3-4 minutes at idle with no recurrence. No real chance to tell if engaging the clutch would have stopped the noise. More to come over the weekend.

Joe
Old 05-18-2019, 06:23 PM   #23

just as i thought...it will come and go, Good luck
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:14 PM   #24
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgill View Post
Quick update: Based on prescribed steps offered by Maytag, I had only about 5 minutes to check start-up noise and then depressing of the clutch.

At start-up, I heard three distinct knocks, and it then ended. I ran the car for about 3-4 minutes at idle with no recurrence. No real chance to tell if engaging the clutch would have stopped the noise. More to come over the weekend.

Joe
Any progress on this?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:56 PM   #25

Depress clutch it goes away? Mine does this occasionally for years,I push the clutch in it goes away.Go figure. Hope it works out to be this. Good luck.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:57 PM   #26

mistake

I see redundant post sorry
Old 07-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #27

Garage
Update to this condition:
I’ve taken off the front engine cover, warmed the car up, removed the belt and there’s no change in engine noise made. Also checked the auxiliaries and have found no issues there. It is, however, an intermittent condition. Not always there, but normally a slight three knock sound when starting. I’ve depressed the clutch pedal as also suggested and no change heard. It’s now with my indie who has heard the initial sound at start up and believes it may be a lifter condition. Since this occurred right after an oil change (Motul 8100 5w40) he’s contemplating a change to Porsche Classic motor oil (full synthetic 5W50) as a starting point. He wants to take diagnosis slow, ticking off some simple, cost effective solutions first. I should have it back on Monday or Tuesday and we’ll see where this takes us.

Question: What are your thoughts on adding a Liqui-Moly lifter supplement to the oil? I’ve never been a fan of supplements but from what I’ve read, this could help with dirty lifters. If one or more lifters damaged, then replacement would be required. Does anyone have any thoughts on usage?

Joe

Last edited by jrgill; 07-04-2019 at 09:46 AM.
jrgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:10 PM   #28

Thanks for the update. Sounds like it may be internal after all. Do they have hydraulic lifters?
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #29

Garage
Update on Lifter Noise Condition

My indie completed diagnosis on my car and performed an oil and filter change using 0w-40 Liqui Moly synthetic motor oil. I previously used Motul 8100 5W-40 oil. He also performed a scan and found no current codes. Sent out an oil sample to Blackstone for analysis. I piked it up on Tuesday and so far, after approximately 100 miles driven, there’s been no lifter noise (neither at start up or after warm-up) and it’s running well. Keeping my fingers crossed.