View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #27
jrgill

Garage
Update to this condition:
I’ve taken off the front engine cover, warmed the car up, removed the belt and there’s no change in engine noise made. Also checked the auxiliaries and have found no issues there. It is, however, an intermittent condition. Not always there, but normally a slight three knock sound when starting. I’ve depressed the clutch pedal as also suggested and no change heard. It’s now with my indie who has heard the initial sound at start up and believes it may be a lifter condition. Since this occurred right after an oil change (Motul 8100 5w40) he’s contemplating a change to Porsche Classic motor oil (full synthetic 5W50) as a starting point. He wants to take diagnosis slow, ticking off some simple, cost effective solutions first. I should have it back on Monday or Tuesday and we’ll see where this takes us.

Question: What are your thoughts on adding a Liqui-Moly lifter supplement to the oil? I’ve never been a fan of supplements but from what I’ve read, this could help with dirty lifters. If one or more lifters damaged, then replacement would be required. Does anyone have any thoughts on usage?

Joe

Last edited by jrgill; 07-04-2019 at 09:46 AM.
jrgill is offline   Reply With Quote