View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #6
maytag
Who's askin'?

Pomelo is right on target.... I just didn't know how handy you are. ;-)

If it doesn't do it when cold, that suggests (but doesn't specifically identify) internal.

Next step, (warm it if you have to so the noise is evident) pull off the serp belt. You can run the car for a minute without the belt on to see if you can still hear it. (Your water pump won't be turning, so not too long). You're HOPING at this point that thr noise is gone, because that means it's one of your peripherals. You can narrow that down by spinning them by hand and listening / feeling how they turn.

But if the noise is still there (warm or cold) then you need to get dirty. Get your stethoscope (a long peice of aluminum rod works really well). Hold one end to your ear, place the other end at various places on the engine and find where the noise is most evident. That should help you get it narrowed down.

But if it were mine, with the noise I hear right there...... yeaaaahhhhh.... I've heard too many rod knocks in my day to not have a pit in my stomach as I listen to that.

I hope I'm wrong.

Let us know what you find?

The truth is that it's really hard to distinguish one sound from another in a video clip. I could be way off base.
But that rhythm.....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by maytag; 05-16-2019 at 06:28 PM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote