Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2019, 08:08 AM   #1

Garage
Rebuilt Boxster Motors

When my 2000 S motor blew apart (IMS failure) about 10 years ago, I was told no one was rebuilding these motors. Have since heard there are some shops around the Country that sell rebuilds. Someone told me recently there is a shop in SoCal that has been doing it for a while, but I can’t find them. Someone else told me there was a shop in Florida selling them as well. Anyone know the names of any shops doing the rebuilds? Can’t imagine there are many of them. Thanks.

sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #2

Vision Motorsports in SoCal.

https://www.visionmotorsports.com/engines

Vetexauto in FLA.

https://www.****************************************.com/

(guess the site admins are blocking the addr. just google the name.)
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkjeld View Post
When my 2000 S motor blew apart (IMS failure) about 10 years ago, I was told no one was rebuilding these motors. Have since heard there are some shops around the Country that sell rebuilds. Someone told me recently there is a shop in SoCal that has been doing it for a while, but I can’t find them. Someone else told me there was a shop in Florida selling them as well. Anyone know the names of any shops doing the rebuilds? Can’t imagine there are many of them. Thanks.

I have been rebuilding them since 2010 when I did my engine. I have one in stock that makes 300 HP just like in my 2000 Boxster "S"

Pic's in the parts classified section.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:42 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I have been rebuilding them since 2010 when I did my engine. I have one in stock that makes 300 HP just like in my 2000 Boxster "S"

Pic's in the parts classified section.
Oooh, sounds like fun. Unfortunately I sold my 2000 S after the motor disintegrated 1) years ago. While I thought I’d never touch another Porsche after the IMS failure, they got so cheap that I dove in again. But I bought a 2000 base model with the 2.7 motor last year.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post

Vetexauto in FLA.

Thank you! I reached them both. Jose at Vetexauto was very helpful too!
Old 05-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #6

I will put in a plug for 2 fine shops in the LA area with decades of experience (and many clients on here, I would imagine)

Robert Wessels : welcome to dutch treat porsche repair

Ruben Morales: Home

Both are top notch guys and good people!
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Oooh, sounds like fun. Unfortunately I sold my 2000 S after the motor disintegrated 1) years ago. While I thought I’d never touch another Porsche after the IMS failure, they got so cheap that I dove in again. But I bought a 2000 base model with the 2.7 motor last year.
That's the bonus of investing in a upgraded engine, it will replace any stock engine without having to modify anything. If you wreck it just buy a roller that has a failed engine & transfer your upgraded engine to the roller of your choice.

These cars die only when the engine dies,or it gets totaled in a crash.
A properly upgraded engine will last your lifetime.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post

Vetexauto in FLA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
That's the bonus of investing in a upgraded engine, it will replace any stock engine without having to modify anything. If you wreck it just buy a roller that has a failed engine & transfer your upgraded engine to the roller of your choice.

These cars die only when the engine dies,or it gets totaled in a crash.
A properly upgraded engine will last your lifetime.
I must have misunderstood. So the engine you are selling will drop into a 2000 base Boxster that had a 2.7 motor in it?
Old 05-16-2019, 07:05 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
I must have misunderstood. So the engine you are selling will drop into a 2000 base Boxster that had a 2.7 motor in it?
Yes externally they are identical.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Yes, but... this engine has already addressed the design flaws of the original engine like the IMS, the weak con rod bolts, premature cylinder wall scoring, etc.,

And you will end with a 3.6 engine that should keep you smiling for many years to come :-)
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #11

Quote:
I bought your S -- and instead of building an electric car -- I along with a colleague ended up rebuilding the engine. I seeded his Boxster/996 engine and services business because of it.
I daily drove it for 4 years before parting ways from that particular car.

I still curse you everyday tho -- that S cost me so much time and money ... lol

I now own 7 Porsches, 2 of the race cars, and I have a Porsche Club Racing license and soon to have a Porsche National Instructors License (already have my BMW instructor license).

So thanks to you -- I'm 1/2 way to the poor house!

Seriously tho -- The 986 and 996 are so cheap now as to be considered nearly expendable, and should you blow the engine -- just buy another whole car.

BTW, your original engine was done in my a water pump failure -- so I do consider those to be wear and tear items I inspect regularly and replace every few years.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #12

Garage
Omigawd! Hi Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
I bought your S -- and instead of building an electric car -- I along with a colleague ended up rebuilding the engine. I seeded his Boxster/996 engine and services business because of it.
I daily drove it for 4 years before parting ways from that particular car.

I still curse you everyday tho -- that S cost me so much time and money ... lol

I now own 7 Porsches, 2 of the race cars, and I have a Porsche Club Racing license and soon to have a Porsche National Instructors License (already have my BMW instructor license).

So thanks to you -- I'm 1/2 way to the poor house!

Seriously tho -- The 986 and 996 are so cheap now as to be considered nearly expendable, and should you blow the engine -- just buy another whole car.

BTW, your original engine was done in my a water pump failure -- so I do consider those to be wear and tear items I inspect regularly and replace every few years.

Mike
Holy cow. I was wondering what happened to you and the electric car. I didn’t follow what you meant by my original engine and water pump failure. Why did it fail? Seem to remember a garage calling it a “slipped sleeve” but I assumed it was the IMS. I babied that car, which i’ve Been told later it is the worst thing you can do to the IMS.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Holy cow. I was wondering what happened to you and the electric car. I didn’t follow what you meant by my original engine and water pump failure. Why did it fail? Seem to remember a garage calling it a “slipped sleeve” but I assumed it was the IMS. I babied that car, which i’ve Been told later it is the worst thing you can do to the IMS.
The water pump had sheered off completely. a freeze plug in the heads had dislodged and water and oil mixed.

The water pump bearings fail, and the shaft starts wobbling, the blades grind against the casing, and fortunately they are plastic. In the extreme the shaft seizes and the pulley shears off. That's what happened to your Boxster. Just plain bad luck. Although I've see it happen to numerous Boxsters. You can see signs of early failure by looking for seepage at the bottom of the water pump/engine.

Tore the whole engine down and rebuilt it from scratch.

Nothing wrong with the IMS == although as a precaution I had the first (or at least one of the firsts) triple row IMS Bearing replacement that LN did, this was before they did the retrofits.
You had to send off the IMS to be modified. For a time, their website showed that IMS.

Put 50K miles on that car and passed it along to a guy in Indiana -- probably still running like a champ.

M
Old 05-17-2019, 09:29 AM   #14

Garage
water pump?

Quote:
The water pump had sheered off completely. a freeze plug in the heads had dislodged and water and oil mixed.

The water pump bearings fail, and the shaft starts wobbling, the blades grind against the casing, and fortunately they are plastic. In the extreme the shaft seizes and the pulley shears off. That's what happened to your Boxster. Just plain bad luck. Although I've see it happen to numerous Boxsters. You can see signs of early failure by looking for seepage at the bottom of the water pump/engine.

Nothing wrong with the IMS == although as a precaution I had the first (or at least one of the firsts) triple row IMS Bearing replacement that LN did, this was before they did the retrofits.
You had to send off the IMS to be modified. For a time, their website showed that IMS.

Put 50K miles on that car and passed it along to a guy in Indiana -- probably still running like a champ.

M
Wow, you’ve become quite the Porsche expert. And now that you mention it, believe the Marin dealer said something about the water pump. I’d just never heard of a water pump blow an engine. Huh, a new thing to worry about.

I just drove my current Boxster from Colorado to SF. It has been making an odd clattering/growling sound for months, audible only at idle and very low rpm. Now it has gotten a little louder. Tho once the car is running >2k rpm, inaudible. Probably drowned out from engine noise. My first thought was timing chain tensioner, but now I am thinking water pump. No coolant leaks tho. Any thoughts?
Old 05-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #15

My Boxster never had a wind deflector. Today I installed one!

SORRY! I just realized this went into the wrong thread. I'll delete it once I figure out how.
Attached Images

Last edited by piper6909; 05-17-2019 at 10:33 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Wow, you’ve become quite the Porsche expert. And now that you mention it, believe the Marin dealer said something about the water pump. I’d just never heard of a water pump blow an engine. Huh, a new thing to worry about.

I just drove my current Boxster from Colorado to SF. It has been making an odd clattering/growling sound for months, audible only at idle and very low rpm. Now it has gotten a little louder. Tho once the car is running >2k rpm, inaudible. Probably drowned out from engine noise. My first thought was timing chain tensioner, but now I am thinking water pump. No coolant leaks tho. Any thoughts?
Hard to say without hearing it.
Check the heat shields...

Optionally
Take off the serpentine belt and see if it still makes the noise.
If it does, check WP
Or idler pulleys

M
Old 05-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #17
Will there be cake?

Garage
Rebuilt Boxster Motors

Get a stethoscope and listen around with the engine exposed. It helps with those little noises. I isolated a loose spark plug that sounded like a slipping belt that way. WOW
A loose spark plug!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:48 AM   #18

Quote:

M
Where did you source a rebuild kit? I have a 2.5 with a bad intermix issue that I suspect is freeze plug related. Debating on rebuild or swap in a used motor.
Aanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aanic View Post
Where did you source a rebuild kit? I have a 2.5 with a bad intermix issue that I suspect is freeze plug related. Debating on rebuild or swap in a used motor.
There was no such thing as a kit, not aware of anything today either. That rebuild was in 2008.

Since antifreeze is corrosive to bearing materials -- I stripped it to the crank and rebuilt EVERYTHING.

Spent thousands of $$ at Sunset Porsche buying all the individual parts.

It's not financially worth rebuilding it like I did.

You could just pull the valve covers and inspect to see if the freeze plug or a crack in the heads exist and just fix that -- but that's not
how we did things. I believe if it's worth doing, its worth doing to the point you never see that engine again for just about anything.

We did many full rebuilds, folks just stopped willing to pay the $9-10K it took to
do so, and we phased this out of our business probably 5 years ago.
I moved onto racing and my buddy still works on all other aspects of the 9*6 and other Porsches.

Mike

Last edited by seningen; 05-21-2019 at 06:06 AM.