View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 07:41 PM   #13
seningen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkjeld View Post
Holy cow. I was wondering what happened to you and the electric car. I didn’t follow what you meant by my original engine and water pump failure. Why did it fail? Seem to remember a garage calling it a “slipped sleeve” but I assumed it was the IMS. I babied that car, which i’ve Been told later it is the worst thing you can do to the IMS.
The water pump had sheered off completely. a freeze plug in the heads had dislodged and water and oil mixed.

The water pump bearings fail, and the shaft starts wobbling, the blades grind against the casing, and fortunately they are plastic. In the extreme the shaft seizes and the pulley shears off. That's what happened to your Boxster. Just plain bad luck. Although I've see it happen to numerous Boxsters. You can see signs of early failure by looking for seepage at the bottom of the water pump/engine.

Tore the whole engine down and rebuilt it from scratch.

Nothing wrong with the IMS == although as a precaution I had the first (or at least one of the firsts) triple row IMS Bearing replacement that LN did, this was before they did the retrofits.
You had to send off the IMS to be modified. For a time, their website showed that IMS.

Put 50K miles on that car and passed it along to a guy in Indiana -- probably still running like a champ.

M
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote