View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 09:29 AM   #14
sfkjeld

Garage
water pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
The water pump had sheered off completely. a freeze plug in the heads had dislodged and water and oil mixed.

The water pump bearings fail, and the shaft starts wobbling, the blades grind against the casing, and fortunately they are plastic. In the extreme the shaft seizes and the pulley shears off. That's what happened to your Boxster. Just plain bad luck. Although I've see it happen to numerous Boxsters. You can see signs of early failure by looking for seepage at the bottom of the water pump/engine.

Tore the whole engine down and rebuilt it from scratch.

Nothing wrong with the IMS == although as a precaution I had the first (or at least one of the firsts) triple row IMS Bearing replacement that LN did, this was before they did the retrofits.
You had to send off the IMS to be modified. For a time, their website showed that IMS.

Put 50K miles on that car and passed it along to a guy in Indiana -- probably still running like a champ.

M
Wow, you’ve become quite the Porsche expert. And now that you mention it, believe the Marin dealer said something about the water pump. I’d just never heard of a water pump blow an engine. Huh, a new thing to worry about.

I just drove my current Boxster from Colorado to SF. It has been making an odd clattering/growling sound for months, audible only at idle and very low rpm. Now it has gotten a little louder. Tho once the car is running >2k rpm, inaudible. Probably drowned out from engine noise. My first thought was timing chain tensioner, but now I am thinking water pump. No coolant leaks tho. Any thoughts?
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote