Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 06:16 AM   #1

Best choice for lifting

I'm just curious what you all use/recommend for lifting and working under the car? Standard jack and stands? Quickjack lifts?

Old 05-19-2017, 06:30 AM   #2
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I have ramps I use for some jobs plus I have a low profile high lift jack, 4 jack stands and 2 scissor jacks that are used on occasion. All depends on what I need to do underneath the car.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:36 AM   #3

So much is done from underneath on these cars. The higher you can get them in the air the better. I have a four post lift and love it
Old 05-19-2017, 06:45 AM   #4

Pidj as said below, there are several ways to lift your car, it is a matter of personal preference.

Whenever I need to get the four wheels off the ground (and level), usually I drive onto the ramps, then lift the opposite side with a floor jack, get the stands on and afterwards lift the end from the ramps and get it on the stands as well.

It may seems that you are duplicating your work but I find this a safe way to do it.

However, once the car is supported with the four stands, I give it a firm shake from side to side (both ends), to ensure that the vehicle is properly seated on the floor stands.

I already got a very close call, and you cannot take a chance because if the car falls while you are underneath, most likely you will not be able to get out of the way.... and will be very messy :-(

Please ensure that the car is 100% stable before you get under it...!

Last edited by Gilles; 05-19-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:55 AM   #5

I've never used ramps, but that makes sense for getting one end up, straight. I do have 4 jack stands, and always test before getting under
Old 05-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #6

Garage
It depends on how much money you are willing to spend. If you get jack stands and hydraulic lift ensure it meets weight specs for your Porche. I've done research on Ramps and they are not all alike; seem some pics where cheap ones will crumble. 4-post lifts are great but go in the several thousands.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
It depends on how much money you are willing to spend. If you get jack stands and hydraulic lift ensure it meets weight specs for your Porche. I've done research on Ramps and they are not all alike; seem some pics where cheap ones will crumble. 4-post lifts are great but go in the several thousands.
I don't have the room or $ for a 4 post lift. If I go the ramp route, I'll research and not go cheap there. The quickjack looks cool but, again, that's $ that needs to be used for maintenance etc. I have some 2 ton axle stands that should be okay.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:25 AM   #8

Working on anything under the car, I use jackstands.
Here's a Pelican article with tips on jack points for jackstands.

I've had good experience with this jack. Small and light enough to take to track events.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:20 AM   #9

I have Quickjack 7000

I have a Quickjack 7000 that I really like. Have not lifted the 986 yet but I did use it to change to summers on the s5 and Explo. Several threads on lifting. Here's a good one:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/65723-thinking-investing-quickjack.html

According to specs, the QJ 3500 or 5000 should both be ok for lifting a Boxster. I needed the 7000 for lifting the Explo safely. Both are much less $$$ than the 7000.

Here's a couple of pics at 'half lift'. YMMV but very stable for me.

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 05-19-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:33 AM   #10

Liftbars

I purchased a set of liftbars late last year. Simple and quick to raise the car onto four jack stands without having to raise up each corner separately.

Liftbars
alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #11

Those liftbars look sweet!! Good find. You may have just cost me $300 today alynch.
2005 Ford F-150 Monster Truck
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alynch View Post
I purchased a set of liftbars late last year. Simple and quick to raise the car onto four jack stands without having to raise up each corner separately.

Liftbars
I've been using this for a couple years now. It's simple and safe and easy to adjust height safely.
Liftbars

For regular oil change I use ramps. My driveway has a slight slope and when the car is on the ramp it's almost level.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionist View Post
Those liftbars look sweet!! Good find. You may have just cost me $300 today alynch.
This will save you some $$ +use a 20% coupon It is adjustable for length and height
https://www.harborfreight.com/steel-floor-jack-cross-beam-60762.html
Item 60762
or
https://www.amazon.com/Dragway-Tools-Cross-Adapter-Floor/dp/B002LGLXM0

Last edited by Gelbster; 05-19-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
I've been using this for a couple years now. It's simple and safe and easy to adjust height safely.
Liftbars

For regular oil change I use ramps. My driveway has a slight slope and when the car is on the ramp it's almost level.
The Liftbars look like a great, cost effective solution if you only need to lift the Boxster.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Old 05-19-2017, 11:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
The Liftbars look like a great, cost effective solution if you only need to lift the Boxster.
Yes Boxster only. I am interested in getting the quickjack. I just haven't found the excuse to buy one yet.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #16

Garage
I bought the Quick Jack 3500 for my Boxster and my two other vehicles. Great piece of equipment for me and it meets all the needs for my level of wrench turning. Changing tires, brake jobs and oil changes plus the ever popular waxing and polishing.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
I have a Quickjack 7000 that I really like. Have not lifted the 986 yet but I did use it to change to summers on the s5 and Explo. Several threads on lifting. Here's a good one:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/65723-thinking-investing-quickjack.html

According to specs, the QJ 3500 or 5000 should both be ok for lifting a Boxster. I needed the 7000 for lifting the Explo safely. Both are much less $$$ than the 7000.

Here's a couple of pics at 'half lift'. YMMV but very stable for me.

I have a Sequoia and a Mazda 5 that have two seasonal tire changes each .... by me. Wow would that make it easier Hmmmm.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eicheldp View Post
I bought the Quick Jack 3500 for my Boxster and my two other vehicles. Great piece of equipment for me and it meets all the needs for my level of wrench turning. Changing tires, brake jobs and oil changes plus the ever popular waxing and polishing.
The Quick jack will put it up high enough to use a creeper, and still do stuff?
Old 05-19-2017, 12:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionist View Post
Sorry about that I literally went from 20 minutes to raise all four corners to 5 mins for the whole vehicle. And I don't have to rummage around looking for the jack pads so that tops of the jack stands don't damage the jacking points. The ends of the liftbars slot directly into the jacking points. I couldn't be happier except maybe having a garage with a two-post lift.
alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
The Quick jack will put it up high enough to use a creeper, and still do stuff?
per QJ docs the maximum lifting height is 17", 18" & 18.5" for the 3500, 5000 & 7000 respectively with the small rubber blocks (all you can use with the 986 I believe). For my Explo & QJ 7000 I can get approx 21" of lift with the SUV stands. Best to check the QJ website for detailed info on the lifting block and SUV stand options.

Just a suggestion, don't buy the 7000 unless you really need it. The 7000 lifts are wider and significantly heavier than the 5000 and 3500.

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 05-19-2017 at 06:18 PM.