Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2019, 05:30 AM   #1
MYRX

Oil Filter choice

Getting ready to do my first oil change on the new to me 2000 Boxster S. I know the previous owner said he used the Mobil oil. I will either use the same or the Joe Gibbs oil. Im curious as to what filter most of you use. I have yet to jack my car up and see what's in it. Do most of you use an OEM type or aftermarket?

Have any of you purchased an adaptor such as the one offered by Flat Six innovations? Is it a good conversion to be able to use a spin on filter?

MYRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:51 AM   #2

Garage
I've used Hengst and Wix oil filters without any issues; I have not adapted to canister type oil filter.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYRX View Post
Getting ready to do my first oil change on the new to me 2000 Boxster S. I know the previous owner said he used the Mobil oil. I will either use the same or the Joe Gibbs oil. Im curious as to what filter most of you use. I have yet to jack my car up and see what's in it. Do most of you use an OEM type or aftermarket?

Have any of you purchased an adaptor such as the one offered by Flat Six innovations? Is it a good conversion to be able to use a spin on filter?
Wix NAPA Gold filters are much better made than the other cartridge style filters and offer a finer media pore diameter. Skip the Mobil oil and go the the Gibbs DT40.

The LN spin on filter is an excellent upgrade to get away from the problematic bypass system in the factory filter set up. And you can get a Wix filter for that as well.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:40 AM   #4
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Jeff In PA...

...+1

I have the “IMS Solution” and it came with a spin-on filter adapter.

I have been using Driven DT40 and Napa Gold spin-on filters with this setup for the last 30,000 miles.

It’s awesome.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:44 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:

I did about 10 years ago when they sold parts, now you buy straight from LN Engineering who makes them.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:59 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

I use a Hengst or Mahle OEM-style filter with Mobil 1 and I change it often.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #7

The LN spin-on filter adaptor provides 2 advantages:

1. As JFP says, it overcomes the factory bypass system. With a factory canister, at start-up oil is bypassed from the filter. With the adaptor, oil flows thru the filter at start-up.

2. If you plan to do any track days, the spin-in filter is more robust incase you do any "agricultural runs". The spin-on filter sits lower than the sump and is an easy target for anything you may drive over. The plastic canister may come out in 2nd place if it hits anything solid.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #8

I have the spin on as well and use NAPA Gold or sometimes simply Mobil 1 filters.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:08 AM   #9
MYRX

Thanks for the advice. I was told the IMS solution, and rear seal was performed in October 2018. I am just not sure what else was done at the same time. I think I will go for the LN spin on filter kit.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:26 AM   #10

filter number

What napa filer number does everyone use with the ln filter adapter
Jimbo409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
The LN spin-on filter adaptor provides 2 advantages:

If you plan to do any track days, the spin-in filter is more robust incase you do any "agricultural runs"...
Spoken like a true Cornhusker

Yeah, I like the spin-on adapter ("SPOFA") as well. LN also has the package that includes the magnetic drain plug in the deal. And I, like several other responders, go with the Wix. In my case ('01) it's the Wix 51042, which is easily obtainable at our local O'Reilly Auto Parts store.

The only disadvantage I see is that it's tougher to inspect the filter element following an oil change.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:42 AM   #12

Garage
OH KNOW, mentioned OIL!!!

I typically use Chinchilla fur to filter my Unicorn urine.

And if the local auto parts store is out, then I use NAPA Gold filter (in OEM canister) and Wally world Mobil 1, 2x a year which is 2-3k miles between changes these days
Old 02-25-2019, 06:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I was told the IMS solution, and rear seal was performed in October 2018. I am just not sure what else was done at the same time. I think I will go for the LN spin on filter kit.
If you have the IMS Solution installed, i.e., the IMSB upgrade that has an oil pressure lubricated journal bearing, you already have a spin on filter adapter installed. You can easily tell that as you will see a section of braided flex hose coming out above the oil filter and entering a notch cut out in the engine case flange near the central seam of the two case halves. That is the oil going to lubricate the IMS Solution. I believe, but am not certain, that this spin on filter adapter is different than the spin on adapter LN sells for engines without the solution installed.

If you don't see this braided flexible line, then you have a LN ceramic bearing IMS Retrofit, if you have something LN installed in your IMSB. There may be a LN Engineering sticker on the underside of your rear trunk lid or door jamb with a serial number. If you find that sticker, you can see if your car has been registered at LNEngineering.com or contact LN with that number and they can tell you what you have.

Last edited by PaulE; 02-25-2019 at 06:51 AM. Reason: spelling and grammer
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:07 AM   #14

Quote:
I have the LN adapter. On an Ebay sale, mine came with a couple of Bosch filters.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
OH KNOW, mentioned OIL!!!

I typically use Chinchilla fur to filter my Unicorn urine.

And if the local auto parts store is out, then I use NAPA Gold filter (in OEM canister) and Wally world Mobil 1, 2x a year which is 2-3k miles between changes these days
I use Wesson corn oil. Really like it !!! When it all leaks out, my Porsche smells like french fries!:troll:
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:48 AM   #16

And additional food for thought, the IMS solution (and the spin-on adapter for 2009+) uses the wix 51348 (cross for many Toyotas) which does have a bypass set for 8-11 psi:

Part Details

Only the M9x non ims solution spin-on has no bypass.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Spoken like a true Cornhusker
Hey, they grow alfalfa in the infield of my local track (RPM). Sometimes it needs harvesting.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:11 AM   #18
MYRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
If you have the IMS Solution installed, i.e., the IMSB upgrade that has an oil pressure lubricated journal bearing, you already have a spin on filter adapter installed. You can easily tell that as you will see a section of braided flex hose coming out above the oil filter and entering a notch cut out in the engine case flange near the central seam of the two case halves. That is the oil going to lubricate the IMS Solution. I believe, but am not certain, that this spin on filter adapter is different than the spin on adapter LN sells for engines without the solution installed.

If you don't see this braided flexible line, then you have a LN ceramic bearing IMS Retrofit, if you have something LN installed in your IMSB. There may be a LN Engineering sticker on the underside of your rear trunk lid or door jamb with a serial number. If you find that sticker, you can see if your car has been registered at LNEngineering.com or contact LN with that number and they can tell you what you have.
Great advice! I did see the service bill for the IMS install this weekend while I was going through all the paper work and maintenance records passed down to me. I will check this out tonight when I get home. I know another shop in the Atlanta area did the install, but I recall seeing the parts were from LN, just not sure which one at this point.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo409 View Post
What napa filer number does everyone use with the ln filter adapter
  • Spin on adapter for IMS Solution: Wix 51348 (so Napa 1348)
  • Stand alone spin on adapter for M9x engines (including 986 Boxsters) Wix 51042 (so Napa 1042)
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Hey, they grow alfalfa in the infield of my local track (RPM). Sometimes it needs harvesting.
Nice of you to oblige them (though hopefully only infrequently ).

I got to looking at the specs for the filter I’ve been using (51042, on the right below) vs the one stevedOx linked (51348):

I noticed that his specifies a value (8-11 PSI) under the section labeled “By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI” whereas the one I’ve been using indicates “None” in that space. I don’t really pretend to understand a lot of this, but does that “None” indicate a lack of bypass at start up (ie a good thing)? And that my setup with the 51042 is preferable to that with the 51348? Or am I totally off-base on this? Educate me, please

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote