Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2019, 11:52 AM   #1

Garage
Sell the Boxster and my daily for a Macan?

We currently have a two-car garage but we keep four cars so my driveway is starting to look like a parking lot and I'm considering getting rid of a car... or two.

The background is that for long time I've always had two cars, a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee to get me through winter and trips to Home Depot, and a beautiful 1999 Porsche Boxster which just hit 100k miles. I keep the Porsche in the garage and my Jeep out in the driveway. My wife's VW Jetta was also kept in the garage. In December we pulled the trigger on a Tesla Model 3 for her but opted to also keep her Jetta and save it for her son who will be turning 16 this summer. So now we have a Tesla and a Porsche in the garage and a Cherokee and a Jetta out in the driveway and I just don't like the optics, let alone the puzzling in and out of the driveway depending on where the cars are parked. Also, this has been a brutally cold winter here in the Midwest so I haven't much cared for keeping my Jeep out in the cold either.

My proposed solution: Sell both the Grand Cherokee and Boxster and find myself a used Macan GTS or Turbo. Or possibly even an S if I just can't find anything in my price range (which almost all Macan GTSs are out of right now).

Is this just winter talking? I know come summer I'm going to want to drive the hell out of the Boxster with the top down basically everywhere I go but especially on the windy back roads along the bluffs so I can hear the raw, unadulterated sound of my naturally aspirated flat six at 4,500 RPM.

My question is, do you think the Macan would make a good replacement for both cars? It won't be a fun to drive and care for as the Boxster, it won't be as roomy or as easy to throw mulch and dirt in the back of as the Cherokee, but will it have enough of both cars to make suitable replacement until we are in a position where we can build a detached garage or add on to our current garage?

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #2

I too have toyed with the idea of shuffling cars around. Presently I have a Toyota Land Cruiser 200 and the Boxster, plus my wife's car. Thought about the Macan and the Cayenne as a replacement for the Toyota or both. I found the Macan to be very sporty but too small and I don't want to give up the convertible. The Cayenne was nice as a replacement for the Toyota but I still felt like I wanted the roominess of the Cruiser. So I haven't made any changes yet but I am pretty sure I will buy a new LX570 later in the year to replace the Cruiser.

A few years ago when the kids were still home I had my Land Cruiser, my wife's car, the Boxster, my son's Land Cruiser and my daughter's 4Runner all at the house. (Plus my Triumph motorcycle). 2 car garage. So usually someone parked on the street and I was always sure I had an out in case I needed to leave so no one parked behind me. One thing I also did was put a key holder in the house and trained everyone to hang their keys when they got home in case I had to get up and move a car. The last thing teenagers wanted was for me to wake them up a 5:30am to ask for their keys so I could move their car!

Dave in TX
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:23 PM   #3

I have thought about a similar move. You will be spending more to get a Macan of course as an '08 Jeep and a '99 Boxster are probably worth less than half of a Macan. The Macan is still depreciating and a compromise in sportiness however.
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:55 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

A sport SUV isn't very good at sport and it isn't very good at utility. It's a compromise to the point where its mediocre at everything and exceptional at nothing.

Keep the Jeep and the Boxster. One size does not fill all.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #5
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I've driven a Macan S on the Milwaukee Mile road course and was amazed at how well it handled, it was fun and more like a sports car than a SUV.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:33 AM   #6
MYRX

So! It's a nice problem to have. I have a Triton TR21 boat in the garage, (the motor cost more than my Boxster S is worth), a 2015 ram to tow the boat and the horse trailer, an old Ford 4 x 4 for hunting my wifes, 2016 grand cherokee and my 2000 Boxster S. I rotate the boat and boxster depending on weather in the garage. Most of the time the boxster lives under a nice cover. Consider yourself lucky to have multiple cars. No way my boxster S leaves me for a SUV no matter what the make. Maybe for a new Porsche Boxster or Caymen, but not for a Macan.
MYRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:09 AM   #7
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Um.....

.....How is this a question?

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:40 AM   #8

I had a Macan as a loaner and hated how small it was and I found it hard to see out of. My daily is a 17 Jeep GC which has great visibility. I think you would miss having a convertible and would be looking to buy another as soon as the weather gets nice.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:55 AM   #9
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
A sport SUV isn't very good at sport and it isn't very good at utility. It's a compromise to the point where its mediocre at everything and exceptional at nothing.

Im with Stone on this. I did the sport SUV once, with a cayenne gts. Literally the "worst of both worlds.... ", not the best.

Too small, and in no way useful for "utility". Too large, heavy, awkward to be a sports car.
One could say it was great for what it was..... but I'm not really sure what it was.

We are like you; 4 cars for the two of us. My daily is a jeep gc summit edition, and then I have my boxster. My wife has a jeep renegade and a mini cooper S convertible.

My kids have their own cars that I've helped them choose, so they get something with personality. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:34 AM   #10

My 'all in one' solution has been an Audi (boo hiss) A4 Avant for the past 9 years. Last fall I bought an '02S. Still have the A4, but as nice as the Audi drives it is a 'sporty' car, not a sports car. I think a Macan would be the same.
Allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #11

Garage
Thanks all for the considerations.

I know I would miss the Boxster no matter what but do think it would be nice to have one car and not rotate between two. I've also toyed with the idea of giving the kid the Grand Cherokee and taking the Boxster as my daily and then I could still have access to the Jeep when I need the space but I'd rather have my own car.

Regardless, I'm keeping the Jeep and Boxster at least through the summer. I just wanted to see if anyone else grappled with this and if so, how they settled it.

I will say that the Jeep, being as old as it is, is still a beast in the snow, is in darn good condition for an 08, and is easy to throw dirt in the back if I have to. I don't think I'd be willing to do that in a Macan.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #12

Garage
[QUOTE=thstone;588735]A sport SUV isn't very good at sport and it isn't very good at utility. It's a compromise to the point where its mediocre at everything and exceptional at nothing.

Keep the Jeep and the Boxster. One size does not fill all.[/QUOTE

Not to mention the Boxster is appreciating & maybe the Jeep too!

Go Cardinals !
Old 02-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #13
On the slippery slope

Garage
Well, one of our club members has aurocrossed and tracked his Macan.
He was very competitive in his times

The only real problem he had was trying to find tires that were better suited for the track and AX
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
[QUOTE
Keep the Jeep and the Boxster.
Oh, and... no payments :-)
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHeinzky View Post
Thanks all for the considerations.

I know I would miss the Boxster no matter what but do think it would be nice to have one car and not rotate between two. I've also toyed with the idea of giving the kid the Grand Cherokee and taking the Boxster as my daily and then I could still have access to the Jeep when I need the space but I'd rather have my own car.

Regardless, I'm keeping the Jeep and Boxster at least through the summer. I just wanted to see if anyone else grappled with this and if so, how they settled it.

I will say that the Jeep, being as old as it is, is still a beast in the snow, is in darn good condition for an 08, and is easy to throw dirt in the back if I have to. I don't think I'd be willing to do that in a Macan.
When my daughter got the driver's license last year, I gave her then my daily SAAB and my Boxster stepped up as my daily car, through Michigan winter on dedicated snow tires and hardtop, very reliable and tons of fun, every day!

I'd give the Jeep to your son and DD your boxster, and start having more fun with no additional payment.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #16

Yeah, I’m in a similar discussion realm. I’ve got a fairly built Liberty as my daily and the Box, my wife drives the new Honda SUV. I’ve considered dropping the two and getting the one (Macan or Cayenne) but at the end of the day, the others are paid for and my wife digs the little sports car. So... that’s, that.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
but at the end of the day, the others are paid for.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post

+1.
I have a 4.4 BMW X5. it's sporty enough for a DD but doesn't fill the void
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:12 PM   #18

If you get rid of the Boxster and JGC for a Macan, what's going to happen in three years when your step-son is off to college, you don't have to contend with his car and you're sick of the compromise of the Macan?

You'll be asking this board if you should sell the Macan and get used Boxsters and JGCs.

As others offered, you've got the best of both sports and SUV worlds, both paid for. Don't succumb to the shiny baubel that is newer.

Delayed gratification can be almost always be better than instant gratification. So says this guy with a 2001 S owned for 7 years and now at 141K miles. Been looking at newer for three years because it would be newer. But the 01 is still great, and I can save for something even better later than if I pull the trigger now.

DBear

Last edited by dbear61; 02-13-2019 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling correction
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear61 View Post
As others offered, you've got the best of both sports and SUV worlds, both paid for. Don't succumb to the shiny baubel that is newer.
DBear
Ok, you're all right. I've washed my hands of this. I know I really just want a shiny new car with a sports plus button but the truth is the Boxster is hard to beat.

What I really need is for winter to be over and maybe a bigger garage...

Thanks all.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #20

Garage
I personally couldn't give up the converible. That said, I had an oppertunity to take a Macon S onto the the track at the Autobahn CC here in IL. I was shocked how well it handled. Damn near as good as the 986. Granted they kept us under 90, but still......

RayW is offline   Reply With Quote