Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #1

Will my fob-less 986 keys start the car?

Someone straight up stole my keys out of my running 986 while I ran into my house the other day (2000 Boxster-S)

I do not have another key with a fob on it but I do have two extra cut keys that came with the car

Does anyone know if either of these have a transponder ? I want to move the car immediately, preferably without towing it. The police have a suspect but haven't done anything

hazardc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:33 PM   #2

Will my fob-less 986 keys start the car?

If it's the same as my Valet key (which has a button and an LED light) then it will start the car just fine. ('02 S)
Old 01-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpyAl View Post
If it's the same as my Valet key (which has a button and an LED light) then it will start the car just fine. ('02 S)

Neither of the spare keys I have here have led or buttons I'm wondering how to figure out if they have transponders without tripping the immobilizer.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:46 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazardc View Post
Neither of the spare keys I have here have led or buttons I'm wondering how to figure out if they have transponders without tripping the immobilizer.
Open them up and look for the transponder pill.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Open them up and look for the transponder pill.

I'm very aware of what the transponder pill looks like in a fob, please see my original post before pasting answers that I've obviously already searched for before posting.

This is my other spare key that appears to have a provision for a transponder pill but doesn't turn the ignition.

I have another cut key with no abilities at all. (except to make more copies with if necessary). My main key was stolen and previous owner can't locate the other

I assume this is the "spare" or "valet" key but it doesn't work in ignition

Thoughts ?
Old 01-18-2019, 01:30 AM   #6
Who's askin'?

Quote:
I'm very aware of what the transponder pill looks like in a fob, please see my original post before pasting answers that I've obviously already searched for before posting.
Wow, friend..... kinda biting the hands feeding you, yeah?

I went and read your post again and I see no indication that you "obviously searched" for anything. I find stone's comment perfectly reasonable, and a genuine effort at helping you.

If you ask me, you seem to be pitching questions with obvious answers:
- what do you do with a key that doesn't turn the ignition? Well.... ummm.... what do you WANT to do with it? It doesn't turn the ignition, so.... uhhh.... ? (See how obvious the answer seems? )
- does anyone know if this key has a transponder in it? Gee.... try opening it up and having a look? (Oh.... wait, now I've gone and set you off like Stone did... but it sure seems like the most helpful response so far, doesn't it? )

The crazy thing to me, (and I realize I'm probably treading on another topic that'll likely inflame you again) is that you seem to be ignoring the biggest question of them all:
- now that somebody has keys to my car (and that somebody isn't me, or anyone else I know), how am i going to keep them from STEALING my car, as easily as they stole the keys?

I'm just sayin'.....

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited by maytag; 01-18-2019 at 01:34 AM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:34 AM   #7

I'm guessing that's why he's keen to move it?

I'm not sure that I can contribute anything, OP seems very knowledgeable. Good luck with it!
Old 01-18-2019, 02:29 AM   #8

Wow you really know how to alienate people.

I'd imagine theres not too many people willing to help you with an attitude like yours.

Perhaps you should consider removing the keys in future ehhh. 🙄
jonogt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:38 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:

This is my other spare key that appears to have a provision for a transponder pill but doesn't turn the ignition.

I have another cut key with no abilities at all. (except to make more copies with if necessary). My main key was stolen and previous owner can't locate the other

I assume this is the "spare" or "valet" key but it doesn't work in ignition

Thoughts ?
"I do not have another key with a fob on it but I do have two extra cut keys that came with the car".

Are you very aware?

Obviously already searched for? No, you didn't. The answers are there.

You'll find that our members can be terrific resources. Like Maytag suggested... don't bite the hand that feeds you. Don't be a d*ck.

You owe someone an apology. Ya know... to curry continued good favor?

Have a nice day!
Old 01-18-2019, 05:57 AM   #10

While your out buying a new fob, you might want to pick up this too. 👇
Attached Images

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:53 AM   #11

Instead of starting a fight on the Internet, how about trying your keys in the ignition to see what happens? The car is in front of your house, right?
Old 01-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #12
Who's askin'?

hazardc, we're sorta piling-on here a little. That's kinda what we do, as we come to the defense of our own little community here. But I see you've been a member for awhile, and oughtta feel like you're one of the gang too.

So I'm going to suggest that maybe you came off differently than you intended? And maybe that's because you're having a pretty crappy day? If I were a guy who was trying to understand that I'd imagine that:
- it sorta sucks to have your car in the driveway, blocking your ability to get any other cars in or out.
- It sucks that you don;t know when the guy with the keys is gonna come back and steal your car.
- It sucks that what you THOUGHT was your "backup plan" isn't working, because none of those extra keys you have fit.
- and finally, it sucks that you can't take your car out..... but some thief CAN.

so.... yeah...... I can appreciate that makes for a pretty crummy day. And I'd bet everyone here's pretty willing to forgive a crummy response to a helpful hand from ThStone. IF you can find your way to accepting that.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #13
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
A properly cut valet key should start and run the car normally. Just verified with mine, pardon the dirty interior.

I expect that the hole with the round plug contains the transponder.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #14
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Until you get things sorted out... you might consider removing the car battery... and the fuel pump and starter fuses/relays.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
"I do not have another key with a fob on it but I do have two extra cut keys that came with the car".

Are you very aware?

Obviously already searched for? No, you didn't. The answers are there.

You'll find that our members can be terrific resources. Like Maytag suggested... don't bite the hand that feeds you. Don't be a d*ck.

You owe someone an apology. Ya know... to curry continued good favor?

Have a nice day!
The picture literally is a fob, that was my only point, specifically said "I do not have another key with a fob" as you quoted.

Where is the disconnect ?
Old 01-18-2019, 01:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
A properly cut valet key should start and run the car normally. Just verified with mine, pardon the dirty interior.

I expect that the hole with the round plug contains the transponder.
Thanks. That's perfect. I couldn't find another post in hours of searching for a valet key picture

Unfortunately, it doesn't turn the ignition. The other key is without a pill for sure, but turns ignition. Could be the ignition wearing out (they seem to get "sticky" when cold hits)

When I get back I'll try turning it on with the valet key attached to the no-pill and see if it fires.

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Until you get things sorted out... you might consider removing the car battery... and the fuel pump and starter fuses/relays.
There's already a suspect in the case on video, so if he wants to dig a deeper grave so be it.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
hazardc, we're sorta piling-on here a little. That's kinda what we do, as we come to the defense of our own little community here. But I see you've been a member for awhile, and oughtta feel like you're one of the gang too.

So I'm going to suggest that maybe you came off differently than you intended? And maybe that's because you're having a pretty crappy day? If I were a guy who was trying to understand that I'd imagine that:
- it sorta sucks to have your car in the driveway, blocking your ability to get any other cars in or out.
- It sucks that you don;t know when the guy with the keys is gonna come back and steal your car.
- It sucks that what you THOUGHT was your "backup plan" isn't working, because none of those extra keys you have fit.
- and finally, it sucks that you can't take your car out..... but some thief CAN.

so.... yeah...... I can appreciate that makes for a pretty crummy day. And I'd bet everyone here's pretty willing to forgive a crummy response to a helpful hand from ThStone. IF you can find your way to accepting that.
Appreciate the words. Yeah, on top of that we are getting 5-8" of snow tomorrow. I'm a little on edge. This was "retaliation" for filing a witness report against someone who stole a bunch of cash and Christmas presents out of another person's car in broad daylight.

There's a lot going on and none of it is fun at the moment.

I mention I'm furloughed? 🤣🤣😀😉😅

Sorry if I came off the wrong way, my sense of urgency combined with feeling completely victimized is probably leading to easy irritability
Old 01-18-2019, 02:13 PM   #19
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
The picture literally is a fob, that was my only point, specifically said "I do not have another key with a fob" as you quoted.

Where is the disconnect ?
F-off. I'm sick of wasting time trying help people who know it all. If you didn't like my advice, all you had to do was ignore it.

I'll close my thread and account this weekend. Got better things to do with my time.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-18-2019 at 02:17 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:28 PM   #20
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
F-off. I'm sick of wasting time trying help people who know it all. If you didn't like my advice, all you had to do was ignore it.

I'll close my thread and account this weekend. Got better things to do with my time.
Stone, c'mon man..... we can chase him off instead! Haha.
Don't let a jack-ass response turn ya away. You're one of the best resources here!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk