Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2019, 12:23 PM   #1

Garage
Hagerty says buy a Boxster

Hagerty insurance just voted the 1997-2004 Boxster as part of the bull market list for future collectibles. Top ten to buy now. They feel the depreciation has bottomed out. Nice to hear.

Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #2

I hope they're right but I've been hearing for almost 30 years that the Pontiac Fiero was going to be the collector car of the future. I'll believe it when I see it. I'm sitting on a gold mine if they do become collectable though.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #3

It’s BS. These are great cars but are still way too common and available in all sorts of conditions. Buy to enjoy any way you like but speculation is useless at this point.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #4

Speculation is only for top grade collectables - " normal / driven " cars may have stopped depreciating - but that's cause there are not a lot of maintained cars running now and even at " current" prices they are huge bang for buck
KT
KT986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #5

agree with all the statements above.
I'd love my $3000 project car to be worth big bucks one day, but it ain't happenin
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:28 PM   #6

Will prices go up? Sure. But not in the realm of “investment”, by any stretch. The 986 is a bit of a sleeper though. Like all of them. I kick my self for selling my ‘84 911... as more and more 986’s are left to die, the market will eventually heat up. Oddly enough they are getting some good, and interesting press lately. We will see how it goes!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:05 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Hagerty also said to buy a Buick Roadmaster station wagon. That kind of shredded whatever credibility the article might have had.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #8

Search "Dax Shepard Buick Roadmaster" and it may change your mind. Collectible, no! but they are rare and much cooler than i ever could have thought possible....needless to say my expectations were null so it was quite easy to exceed them.
dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:35 AM   #9

Garage
Quick check in- how are you all feeling 2.5 years later from this thread? I know I've made money (for once) over my initial investment as prices continue to creep up and I'm still enjoying the hell out of it in the warm Midwest months. Still thinking 1st gen 986 not collectible? On the fence still?
bockster75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:47 PM   #10

The COVID bubble has driven all used prices up. But the bubble is going to break once new car chips are available and new cars become abundantly available again. May be another 3-4 mo. If you're thinking of selling, now's the time. I've already seen prices drop a tad, but maybe that's because the prices from 2 mo ago were outrageously insane. I've stayed out of the Wheeler Dealer mkt until this mess settles. I can't afford to buy a car and then have it drop 33%.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:12 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
The COVID bubble has driven all used prices up. But the bubble is going to break once new car chips are available and new cars become abundantly available again. May be another 3-4 mo. If you're thinking of selling, now's the time. I've already seen prices drop a tad, but maybe that's because the prices from 2 mo ago were outrageously insane. I've stayed out of the Wheeler Dealer mkt until this mess settles. I can't afford to buy a car and then have it drop 33%.
Exactly- today's prices are inflated and won't hold. In fact, selling wife's Cadillac now, sitting on cash for a few months, then I'll hit the used car markets for another 2-4 year old sedan when the new cars flood in. Hanging on to boxster. I don't think they'll fall too badly, they're 20 years old and didn't get as inflated as later model vehicles (especially trucks) have since the supply chain breakdown. Have seen them bringing decent money even at auction. All in all, I think I bought at the right time. They've only seem to have increased in value each year. Not at the pace of the rest of the Porsche lineup, but are still gaining.
As a side note, my 01 Ford Excursion (one of the most hated environmental trucks ever) with the 7.3L diesel is actually worth it's weight right now too. Who'd have thought that pig would be gaining interest LOL?

bockster75 is offline   Reply With Quote