Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #81

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Ah ok, good to hear. Any chance to take a photo, maybe?
Have a video but too large to upload though I tried reducing size several times

Old 03-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #82
Certified Boxster Addict

Funny tail light story....

I raced this past weekend and held off several cars behind me for most of Race #2 to finish ahead of them.

After the race, the driver immediately behind me said that he became "mesmerized with the LED tail lights and began to focus on the lights while thinking about them".

Then he realized that he need to pay attention to the racing and not my tail lights!

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
ROC > PRC

Spices should be fine if done correctly. Kind of looks like the "solder" spice connectors. Definitely want to see how they look on your Seal Gray.
Don't think those are solder sleeves, as the solder filled ones are clear so the melted solder is visible. Too much heat will cause the heat shrink to split - not enough won't melt the solder. My former employer invented heat shrink tubing and its many children products.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:43 PM   #84

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgal48 View Post
Don't think those are solder sleeves, as the solder filled ones are clear so the melted solder is visible. Too much heat will cause the heat shrink to split - not enough won't melt the solder. My former employer invented heat shrink tubing and its many children products.

This is what it looks like
Old 03-14-2019, 06:11 PM   #85

On my 2nd drive out with these I'm having issues. How would I go about fixing this?
1. With lights off, if I switch on driver side blinker, the tail lights do nothing, front blinks very fast.
2. With lights off, if I switch on passenger side blinker, the passenger tail and front passenger lights blink very fast.
3. With lights on, If I switch on driver side blinker nothing happens.
4. With lights on, if I switch on passenger side blinker, both tail lights blink very fast.

Prior to installing these, all lights worked fine and upon initial test before driving, these worked too from what I could tell from reflections.

If I can figure out how to upload video I will.
thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:54 PM   #86
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Sounds like the control modules are acting up already.

I don't think these were ready for market...
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:08 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
On my 2nd drive out with these I'm having issues. How would I go about fixing this?
1. With lights off, if I switch on driver side blinker, the tail lights do nothing, front blinks very fast.
2. With lights off, if I switch on passenger side blinker, the passenger tail and front passenger lights blink very fast.
4. With lights on, if I switch on passenger side blinker, both tail lights blink very fast.

Prior to installing these, all lights worked fine and upon initial test before driving, these worked too from what I could tell from reflections.

Possibly received a defective pair? Have you tried unplugging them and replugging?
MichaelV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:10 AM   #88
WALDMEISTER

Garage
fast blinkers…mixed OEM/LED light bulbs…sounds like your blinker relay is acting up?

You might need to switch to a new LED compliant relay. I had to do that, when I changed to a LED blinker. The OEM relay doesn't really like a mix of regular bulbs and LEDs.
And check the cable connector on the left side, you never know...
Old 03-15-2019, 10:40 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post

I know this sounds like a huge PiTA, but try installing your OEM lights, if problem persists then it might be the flasher.

Otherwise here is USR's phone number 1-909-477-3221

Keep us posted on how this turns out. I daily my Boxster, and so far no issues with the lights.
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:53 AM   #90
Custom User Title Here

Garage
If they worked correctly at first, that means that they have on board load resistors to prevent fast blink and CANBUS errors.

That they are not working now says that the load resistors are no longer working.
I seriously doubt changing the relay will do anything.

You don't have to switch the lights back around to test: just put the original tail lights in the trunk and plug them in.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:11 PM   #91
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
If they worked correctly at first, that means that they have on board load resistors to prevent fast blink and CANBUS errors.

That they are not working now says that the load resistors are no longer working.
I seriously doubt changing the relay will do anything.

You don't have to switch the lights back around to test: just put the original tail lights in the trunk and plug them in.
possibly., but one thing is strange...why is the Right tail light "workingg", if the left load resistor died. Hard to imagine that both sides failed basically on the same day. I would definitely call USR's Service.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #92
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Having any bulb out on a CANBUS system can cause some wacky behavior. I assume that the '03 uses CANBUS and that the lights are tied into it, though I can't say for sure. I've never cared enough to look into it.

Either way, the sure fire test is to plug in stock tail lights and see if the behavior goes away.

Last edited by particlewave; 03-15-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #93

Thanks y'all. I called the vendor and am waiting on a call from their tech. I plan on trying the old lights tomorrow when I have time to mess with it.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #94

Tried the old lights today and they function flawlessly.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:16 PM   #95

Good news for me. Appears to be my own idiocy when i was packing up the new lights, i discovered the grey "adapter" connector was not seated firmly in place on either light evidently. I assumed that it would have good fitment from the vendor and I didn't bother to check that when I installed them initially. I seated them both firmly and then went out and unplugged my old lights and plugged these in and they function flawlessly. for any other members that haven't installed their's yet, make sure all the connectors click and firmly seat, not just the one from the car to the lights but the additional one that is on the light. Now going back out to finish up but I'm relieved it was my user error apparently. That would explain why they initially worked and then went intermittent when that connector must have jarred or wiggled loose.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #96

The grey one was the culprit

Old 04-03-2019, 09:48 AM   #97
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Just got info, that they will be available here in Germany on Friday (give or take 1-2 days). Hopefully the updated version.
not affiliated in any way: sw-tuning.de
Old 04-03-2019, 06:30 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Just got info, that they will be available here in Germany on Friday (give or take 1-2 days). Hopefully the updated version.
not affiliated in any way: sw-tuning.de
that's great! Curious were you able to get the forum discount? Not sure if that was a US deal, or if they honored it with all vendors.
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:19 PM   #99
Certified Boxster Addict

Car to car comparison from racing last weekend. Everyone who saw the new style love them!

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:46 AM   #100

Wow, I wasn't for changing because it changes the character of the car to something it's not but they do look great. I guess something will be needed for the front to balance it out. Enjoy, they look awesome.

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote