Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 04:16 AM   #21

Garage
Blackroot you can hold your head up that your not driving a Base, the poor man's Boxster, or the basic 'S' the poor man's 'S'
I'm always grounded about this debate when I think that new my 02 was $65k+. That ain't no poor man's car.
But as said before, this tendency is not restricted to cars, Porsches, it's with so many material things.
I just bought the poor man's Adventure motorcycle, Kawasaki KLR650. when I meet up for a trail ride, there's a bit of getting looked up and down. This includes the riding gear one wears

By the way I have been known to Pee 12 feet from where I stand. 911 owners eat that
By the way I would move to a 911 from my Boxster if I could justify it.

I think it is better to at least own these "poor man's" things and experience the ride then to not experience the ride because you can't afford the high end and therefore won't consider the poor man's version.

Last edited by kk2002s; 01-08-2019 at 05:50 AM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:45 AM   #22

I own a 993TT, just recently sold a 997TT, and have my 99 boxster 3.2 and to be frank, the boxster is just such a fun car to drive. Its a perfect blend of power, handling, useability, etc. I don't find the car to be attractive looks wise, especially compared to a 993, but its truly a toss up when it comes to what keys to grab.

a 986 with a beefed up 3.4/3.6 is an absolute blast at the track and you'll catch more expensive hardware no problem.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:54 AM   #23
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Our local PCA chapter is rather small but even here there is a pecking order. 911's rule the roost but all in all even the GT3 owners show interest and respect for the lowly Boxsters if they are well maintained and presentable. We only have 180 or so members and a good number are Boxster owners of all vintages but the vast majority are 911 owners.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:31 AM   #24
Artist, 986S tinkerer

The track is a major equalizer. My club is full of GT3s, GT3RSs, Turbos and other high end cars. Many times I have been complimented on how fast I am (excuse my seeming lack of humility). Ironically, I have one of the least powerful cars at the track!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
The track is a major equalizer. My club is full of GT3s, GT3RSs, Turbos and other high end cars. Many times I have been complimented on how fast I am (excuse my seeming lack of humility). Ironically, I have one of the least powerful cars at the track!
I think one of the advantages of the Boxster on track is the price...

I find I'm willing the thrash the Boxster until the bleeding edge...
Where a nicer 911 -- with the $$ to back it up -- I wouldn't have the heart to drive it that
level of disregard.

It also helps that the Boxster is a very responsive and forgiving platform.

Of course I learned to track/race a 944... So your mileage and track times may vary...

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #26

These comments, and the time everyone made to make them, are very much appreciated.
Many thank yous
BR
Blackroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #27

Here she is. All back together

Old 01-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #28
On the slippery slope

Garage
I have both a 04 Boxster S and a 04 996

While I love the extra power of the 996, for pure driving enjoyment, my Boxster is the one.
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I have both a 04 Boxster S and a 04 996

While I love the extra power of the 996, for pure driving enjoyment, my Boxster is the one.
I have to agree. I have owned a lot of fast cars, gt500's, corvettes(driven),Mercedes AMG.
I keep telling my wife this car is something special.
Its on rails
Old 01-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #30

I always thought the car got it's name from being the cheapest Porsche available at the that time of production.

As for the 911.... I can honestly say my Boxster S is a lot faster than my father's 911 ever was Dad's 912 ..... Well yeah.... it looked fast.... but I think a stock VW beetle of the same era had the same 1/4 mile time
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:18 AM   #31

I must be hanging around the wrong people because I never get grief about driving a Boxster. I know quite a few VERY VERY rich people who own a 986 boxster for racing and pleasure. I do look forward the day someone tries telling me the boxster is a poor man's porsche.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:16 AM   #32

The other car in my garage is an 06 Gallardo. I had 4 911 all air cooled. when it came time to hit the track I chose to buy a 986 - simply put mid engine and bang for the buck. Mid engine is simply better - if they only gave us 911 power.

I rather call the Boxster/Cayman the smart man's Porsche!
since95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:28 AM   #33
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by since95 View Post
The other car in my garage is an 06 Gallardo. I had 4 911 all air cooled. when it came time to hit the track I chose to buy a 986 - simply put mid engine and bang for the buck. Mid engine is simply better - if they only gave us 911 power.

I rather call the Boxster/Cayman the smart man's Porsche!
That 06 is a beauty! What color is your ride?
Old 01-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
That 06 is a beauty! What color is your ride?
Giallo Midas - Pearl Yellow - it is really stunning
since95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #35

Last year when our PCA group did a drive and dine I was placed right in the middle of the 911 guys and we all were getting pretty crazy on the Ohio country roads and I can tell you my 00S Box hung right in there with those 911's and I was not holding anybody up. My car was probably the cheapest one there but it was performing as the cost of a 911 : )
Old 01-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #36

I’ve driven versions of air cooled 911’s as well as water cooled ones and a few Boxsters except more recent generation. Also, I own a 993 turbo and a 986S 550 SE.

A few months ago a drove a 996 cabriolet for a friend and used the Boxster that same day and the more fun car is without question the 986. It is such a useful car I’m thinking of keeping it for many years. Done a three weeks trip in the summer of 2017 from northern Europe to France and Italy including Corsica and Elba. I could not think of any better car to do that trip. The Boxster is low key enough to park it anywhere. Exceptionally fun to drive but comfortable enough for many hours behind the wheel.

I too used to rate the 986 when new as a hair dressers car more or less. Too easy to drive, a bite tame. Not as raw as I might have hoped. Too high expectations in hindsight.

I remembered how well-balanced the Boxster where overall after all those years. A few years ago I thought to myself I should find one for a test drive. See if my opinion had change as I got older. I could not think of any better road car at that price point new or secondhand. Still, an analog car, manual gearbox, Mid engine, nice sound, low key and practical enough for daily duty as well as road trips. The car has not disappointed so far. What used to be it’s weakness is now it strengths.
Robert993TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #37

Garage
I bought my '10 VW TDI the same time my Cousin bought his '03 S. He took me for a tour of the VERY winding San Dimas Canyon. From that point, I coveted that car.
Now retired, I wanted an interim car that I could take out now and then and enjoy driving. I decided I wanted a roadster. While there were no Box's in my budget, I surfed CarGurus and focused on Audi TT Quatro. Then this car came available. I got it cheap, but going in with eyes wide open because of some articles, the 986 would require some money put into it, and this one was no exception.
I never heard the phrase "poor man's Porsche", nor do I care.
Bottom line: Put the top down, turn the radio off and get on it. The sound of the flat six is really what I wanted.
'56 356A

Last edited by Tailwind; 01-09-2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Grammar
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:15 PM   #38

I thought I wanted a 996 and just took another one for a test ride with 33k on it. I think they are beautiful with the aero kit. Don't really like the 997's on. I wanted a back seat, that was the main driver. Well the two stock that I have driven were just so bland. Felt like I was driving an accord. My son came along and said the ride was a bore. Now my 00 S has a sportier exhaust, lowered suspension and sport exhaust so definitely changes the sensory stuff. I also have a short shifter so the 996 felt way long and super smooth. The 996 definitely feels heavier. Better on the highway but not as a fun car IMO. I think porsche miss the boat on the 996 with making it too soft. I did drive one with a sport exhaust and sports seats. It did hit a lot of buttons but again, just felt too heavy.
Oh the back seat, useless. I didn't even fit.
My point, don't let the prestige or price of the boxster fool ya, it's a great car no matter the price. The 986 is a true Porsche as any. Wasn't the 1st on a convertible?
It is the "smart" Porsche.
Oh owned a 77 carrerA 3.0. Still prefer the box.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B. View Post
Last year when our PCA group did a drive and dine I was placed right in the middle of the 911 guys and we all were getting pretty crazy on the Ohio country roads and I can tell you my 00S Box hung right in there with those 911's and I was not holding anybody up. My car was probably the cheapest one there but it was performing as the cost of a 911 : )
Maybe others were really bad drivers and the event organizers knew your supreme motoring skills; thus they placed a bunch of 911s on either side to keep you corralled?

In reality, ALL Porsches including SUVs are great specimens of the good Dr. If I could have one of each in my stable I certainly would. Regardless, you shouldn't give a rat's arse about what anyone says and thinks. Enjoy what you drive and own... otherwise it'll own you in very short order.

So, if anyone needs me I'll out for a spin in my Weissach Ed. 918
Old 01-09-2019, 09:05 PM   #40

I haven’t driven a Porsche sport car, and I’ve been very fortunate to drive many, I don’t like and the last I checked most Porsches when new were relatively expensive cars. I guess poor man Porsche is relative but I think the whole idea is stupid. Someone that prescribes to this idea is making up for something missing in their life.

I just helped my daughter buy her first Porsche and partially due to my influence it is a 6 speed Boxster.

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote