Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
Registered User
 
tonythetiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 323
Garage
bits of black plastic in oil filter

2001 986 S 100K (like exactly)

preparing to do the clutch, as described in earlier thread, but today I cut apart the filter from an oil change I had last week and there are some tiny little bits of black stuff, looks like plastic. Some are tiny chunks the smaller then a pinhead and some are little tiny scrapings. Figure this has something to do with chain tensione pads, but thought they were brown.
other ideas?

I'll post a picture at some point, but with turkey day fast approaching and out of town plans, no promises.

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 663
Take a look at the link below to an earlier thread where this is discussed. I'm also attaching a link to our site's DIY tech article on the clutch replacement - this should help you out with the procedure. Let us know if you have any other questions.

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/637727-bits-of-plastic-in-oil-filter-need-advice-pics-attached.html

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/44-TRANS-Clutch/44-TRANS-Clutch.htm
Dmitry at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
Registered User
 
The Radium King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,944
one man's black is another man's dark brown? search some pics and see if similar; "brown bits boxster oil filter" should do the trick.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:27 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,516
Is the black stuff hard/plastic or soft/rubbery? Someone may have used black sealant on the oil pan instead of the factory brown or aftermarket grey stuff.
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
Registered User
 
tonythetiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 323
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Is the black stuff hard/plastic or soft/rubbery? Someone may have used black sealant on the oil pan instead of the factory brown or aftermarket grey stuff.


No, no. Hard plastic, tiny. All indications are chain guides, especially given the mileage. Shopping for an engine stand now, suggestions?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #6
Registered User
 
jsceash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,407
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
No, no. Hard plastic, tiny. All indications are chain guides, especially given the mileage. Shopping for an engine stand now, suggestions?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are right you have chain rails wearing. Purchase a cam timing tool set. I also suggest buy a service manual set that covers cam replacement, engine timing, and bolt torquing procedures. You should be able to find one online in a PDF.
__________________
2003 Black 986. modified for Advanced level HPDE and open track days.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #7
Registered User
 
tonythetiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 323
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
You are right you have chain rails wearing. Purchase a cam timing tool set. I also suggest buy a service manual set that covers cam replacement, engine timing, and bolt torquing procedures. You should be able to find one online in a PDF.


Oh, I got all that, Bentley manual and the Dempsey 101 projects book. Looking a timing set from rpc? For around 100 bucks, it looks like itíll do the trick, I have a link to it in one of my other posts.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:15 PM   #8
Registered User
 
tonythetiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 323
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
Oh, I got all that, Bentley manual and the Dempsey 101 projects book. Looking a timing set from rpc? For around 100 bucks, it looks like itíll do the trick, I have a link to it in one of my other posts.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


RPD is the brand, is it worthwhile?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page