Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2018, 09:51 AM   #17

By 2003 the 986 was getting a bit long in the tooth. The glass rear window, glove box, and extra few HP were marginal improvements while the 3 chain engine is just a change in my view and the single row IMSB is less reliable. Since sales were down by then, many dealers ordered them with fewer options and then the 550 SE came along in 2004 to spice things up in its last year. You may have an easier time finding a 2002 or earlier and it may have more options than a 2003 or 2004 you find now will have unless it is a 2004 550 SE. When I bought my 2003 S new in September 2003, there were lots of dealers in the NY/NJ metro area that still had unsold new 2002 Boxsters for sale at $10,000 below their window sticker prices in the mid $50's to low $60's - but they all had Savannah Beige interiors if they had an exterior color I wanted, and I wanted a black interior, plus I wanted the glass rear window as I previously owned 3 different convertibles with plastic rear windows. Finding a new 2003 that had an acceptable color combination and my must have options of heated seats, cruise control and PSM narrowed it down to very few new 2003 cars available.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote