Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #1

Garage
3 stalk combination switch - reparable?

On my new blue 2000 Boxster the left hand turn signal is not working. Right hand and emergency flashers work. Looking at the wiring diagram it would seem that the problem is in the combination switch.
Has anyone tried taking one of these apart and repairing it? Looks riveted together but that isn't the end of the world. I know I can get a used one for about $100 but if I can fix mine and avoid the search and the wait I would be happy.

1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I’ve replaced these things more than once. Little plastic tabs get broken on the inside. Not really repairable. I think I got mine from Rock auto. Fast and less expensive. New plastic is better than old plastic. Good for anothe 15 years!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:57 PM   #3

Not repairable. If it was a 4 stalk and the 4th stalk broke (lower left stalk), you could replace that, but the other 3 stalks aren't repairable (or individually replaceable). They are part of that riveted assembly.

While you're replacing it, you might want to think about a 4 stalk switch (to add on-board computer). Forum member Pdwight makes a great harness that makes adding the OBC a snap. (I should say he used to make them, but I think he still does?)

OBC isn't something everyone wants, but if you do, now would be the time to add it!

Also, depending on your model year, the stalks/caps may have a shiny or a flat finish. Just mentioning this in case that matters to you.

Last edited by BirdDog; 10-20-2018 at 09:57 PM.
BirdDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:48 PM   #4

Garage
I found a used combination switch locally for $50 (the cruise control stalk is missing the little circuit board at the end) so I could at least isolate the problem. When I was about to take the current switch off I noticed that the left connector (the one that services the turn signals) came off very easily. Hmmm. So I tightened up the female contacts in the connector and put it back together. Et voila... it works. So too bad I spent $50 for nothing... but better than $300. Now if someone has a really broken switch they want to get rid of I will pay shipping and try to get my $50 switch's cruise control stalk functioning.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:02 PM   #5

OBC harness

Yes, still make these...and this would be the best time to add this if you want.

Thanks
Dwight
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:47 AM   #6

Sorry to jump in to the conversation late, but is it possible to add the on board computer to an 02 Base? If so, what would I need to do this? I am intrigued with the idea, if it's possible.
Thanks!
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdelorenzo View Post
Sorry to jump in to the conversation late, but is it possible to add the on board computer to an 02 Base? If so, what would I need to do this? I am intrigued with the idea, if it's possible.
Thanks!
You can add it, you need to either buy the stalk or put a button in somewhere. The OBC function then needs to be activated with PWIS or a Durametric Pro might be able to do it also. There are lots of threads and a Pelican article on it. If you do it, the PDwight harness is worth its weight in gold, I did it and didn't screw anything up. Be sure to have some good reading glasses to count the little terminal spots so you clip in to the correct ones on the back of the gauge cluster.

If you don't have cruise control you can add that too, but then you need to buy the three or four stalk unit and remove the steering wheel to install it.

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote