Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
BusterBoxster

Battery light

During spirited driving today the battery light came on...
Home to the garage I plugged in the diagnostic... battery test said it needed full charge to complete... ran it up to 2000 RPMs for the 20 second test on the alternator and it said insufficient charging, Voltage PID 10.81. Ran it again and got a Voltage PID if 10.62.
Don’t want to spend money unnecessarily...
The question is where to start?
Belt? Pulley? Voltage Regulator? Alternator?
Any help out there??? Looking for next step.

BusterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:19 PM   #2

If battery voltage is not going up while running to 13.8-14.6 I would suspect a bad internal VR which costs about $50. Pretty easy R/R but make sure you disconnect power since the Alternator is a tight fit.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #3

Also check your accesory belt in good condition..? Otherise could be slipping
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Alternator

Just install a new one. I did.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:52 PM   #5
BusterBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapister View Post
If battery voltage is not going up while running to 13.8-14.6 I would suspect a bad internal VR which costs about $50. Pretty easy R/R but make sure you disconnect power since the Alternator is a tight fit.
Thanks, I’ll try the VR first. Just took off the cover and the belt looks to be in pretty good shape. I know the removal of the alternator is probably going to be a challenge but hopefully the new regulator will do the trick.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:40 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

This. ~$7.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:30 AM   #7
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Also, if you R&R the alternator, replace all of the idler pulleys, too.

I know of three Boxster fires caused by idler pulleys that seized and caused the serpentine belt to catch fire.

When I bought my 2004, she only had 25,000 miles on her. I replaced the serpentine belt at that time, and one of the idler pulleys had already started to fail.

Good luck.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #8
BusterBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post

I know of three Boxster fires caused by idler pulleys that seized and caused the serpentine belt to catch fire.

When I bought my 2004, she only had 25,000 miles on her. I replaced the serpentine belt at that time, and one of the idler pulleys had already started to fail.

Good luck.
Hmmm...
You’ve given me a lot to think about. So I have an 02 S with 34K miles. I now have the engine exposed top and front with the alternator laying on my tool bench, voltage regulator removed. I was thinking I would just attach the new regulator tomorrow and install, slip the belt over the pulley and see what happens. If the battery light returned I would then go the alternator route. If it stayed off, I would put all the covers back in place and take a nice weekend drive. Now I’m wondering if I should just bite the bullet and order the alternator, belt, and pulleys regardless, replace everything and have it all done???
Old 10-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #9
BusterBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
This. ~$7.

That’s Bery Cool,
I’m pretty sure I need one!
Where did you get it?
Old 10-04-2018, 06:10 PM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterB View Post
Hmmm...
You’ve given me a lot to think about. So I have an 02 S with 34K miles. I now have the engine exposed top and front with the alternator laying on my tool bench, voltage regulator removed. I was thinking I would just attach the new regulator tomorrow and install, slip the belt over the pulley and see what happens. If the battery light returned I would then go the alternator route. If it stayed off, I would put all the covers back in place and take a nice weekend drive. Now I’m wondering if I should just bite the bullet and order the alternator, belt, and pulleys regardless, replace everything and have it all done???
Nah...

Just replace the regulator and go for a drive if it's fixed. No need to go down the rabbit hole, especially at only 34k, unless you have reason to believe something else is bad or failing. Maybe just plan on doing the idler pulleys sometime in the future.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Nah...

Just replace the regulator and go for a drive if it's fixed. No need to go down the rabbit hole, especially at only 34k, unless you have reason to believe something else is bad or failing. Maybe just plan on doing the idler pulleys sometime in the future.
No need to go down rabbit hole but as cheap insurance I'd definitely do belt while you're in there. At only 34k it's likely never been done and at the ripe old age of 16 it's legal to drive on it's own in all 50 states - LOL. Keep old for an emergency spare just in case behind your donut in the frunk. An extra ~ $25 well spent...

Good luck
Old 10-04-2018, 11:30 PM   #12

Removing the intake bolt right near the mount helps when wiggling that thing back in. My VR was visibly done when I removed it. The bushings were shot. I’ve not had any issue since I did the fix.

Last edited by Geof3; 10-04-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:47 AM   #13
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterB View Post
That’s Bery Cool,
I’m pretty sure I need one!
Where did you get it?
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=12v+batteryled+gauge&_sacat=0

Yes! You NEED one!
Old 10-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #14
BusterBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapister View Post
Yup!! $36 fix. It was indeed the Voltage Regulator. Thanks so much!
Old 10-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #15
BusterBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post

Good luck.
Thanks for the heads up! I ordered the extra parts. They will arrive next week and I’ll save the install for a rainy day sometime soon.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #16
BusterBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
No need to go down rabbit hole but as cheap insurance I'd definitely do belt while you're in there. At only 34k it's likely never been done and at the ripe old age of 16 it's legal to drive on it's own in all 50 states - LOL. Keep old for an emergency spare just in case behind your donut in the frunk. An extra ~ $25 well spent...

Good luck
I agree. Ordered the belt and will throw it on.
It’s cheap piece of mind...
Old 10-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #17
BusterBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
This. ~$7.

Ordered and already delivered. It was too cool to pass up! But wondering where attached the two leads?? I’m guessing somewhere right in the fuse box.