Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2018, 07:02 AM   #21

Don't give any more thought to the center caps and their orientation.

1. Make a mark on the tire next to the valve stem
2. Drive
3. Check mark
4. That's it.

alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
Don't give any more thought to the center caps and their orientation.

1. Make a mark on the tire next to the valve stem
2. Drive
3. Check mark
4. That's it.
Will do today - Thanks.
speedyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #23
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti View Post
You know, I think I need to re-do my test. I had some doubts while I was falling asleep last night and this morning I checked and my center caps are a bit loose on that side compared to the other. I'll re-check tonight and report back.
Hehehe, I'll refer you back to Post Number 2, way down at the bottom of this thread. :-).
Yeah, center caps rotating in your wheels is very, very common. Tires rotating around the rim is not. One is problematic, the other is not. :-)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:08 PM   #24

Garage
I aligned my center caps with the valve stem, as is correct for concours judging. Goes back in history for the point of the crest pointing to the valve stem so pit crew could find the stem immediately. How many of us are tall, and bent over to look for the valve stem? Depends on the type of wheel. Plus, if the center caps have been removed and swapped many times they can loosen up. The plastic ones will actually melt off the wheel under hot track conditions, and fall off.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Hehehe, I'll refer you back to Post Number 2, way down at the bottom of this thread. :-).
Yeah, center caps rotating in your wheels is very, very common. Tires rotating around the rim is not. One is problematic, the other is not. :-)

Yup.... I am not a smart man. Haha. I'll report back, but I don't think this is the issue anymore... back to the drawing board.... God damn it.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #26
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Yup.... I am not a smart man. Haha. I'll report back, but I don't think this is the issue anymore... back to the drawing board.... God damn it.
Sunnuva!

No way man, you'll never hear me say you're not smart.... I tell people all the time that the only stuff I know is because I broke it once. Haha

Let us know what you find.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:00 PM   #27

Quote:
.... I tell people all the time that the only stuff I know is because I broke it once. Haha
+ 1

A very true statement that I relate to it as well
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Sunnuva!

No way man, you'll never hear me say you're not smart.... I tell people all the time that the only stuff I know is because I broke it once. Haha

Let us know what you find.

Haha yeah they're not spinning. I guess it's onto the next idea... man this shake is driving me insane. Almost makes me want to sell the car.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:55 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
+ 1

A very true statement that I relate to it as well
Well in that case, I'm going to be a genius one day with all the mistakes I've made
Old 09-28-2018, 11:29 AM   #30
MWS

During an interview once, an employer asked me what one thing I would expect from position...I responded "The freedom to fail, perhaps even catastrophically...for that freedom will allow me to produce spectacular results; in the alternative, I'd be a perfectly competent and average employee, but personally I'd rather be stellar than mediocre." I was hired on the spot.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:35 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
During an interview once, an employer asked me what one thing I would expect from position...I responded "The freedom to fail, perhaps even catastrophically...for that freedom will allow me to produce spectacular results; in the alternative, I'd be a perfectly competent and average employee, but personally I'd rather be stellar than mediocre." I was hired on the spot.
That's a great answer - I'm a high school teacher and I try to teach the kids that they don't have to get it right away, but they'll only get it if they try to learn from their mistakes. It's hard in the Bay Area where everyone is expected to succeed immediately, but I hope that some of them take it to heart and try to be life-long learners. As I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate the process of learning something new. Working on this car has definitely been challenging at times, but just looking back from when this issue started, I've learned so much and I'll continue to do. However, I think I'd be happy with the issue being resolved for now haha.

Thanks for the help anyway.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #32
Who's askin'?

Quote:

brilliant. going on my wall. with the attribution: "MWS"
Old 09-29-2018, 07:10 AM   #33

Quote:

I would have hired you. I never had a prospective employee Say anything remotely as appropriate for a job interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2019, 02:40 PM   #34
Who's askin'?

Im resurrecting this thread, 'cuz I was able to measurably view something I said wasn't likely. So, I'm eating my words here, as publicly as i said them. (It's only right)

Today was my first time using NITTO NT01 tires at the track. In an effort to monitor how far over onto the sidewalk I might be rolling (to help decide what pressures I wanted) I put a chalk line on the sidewall and up onto the tread.

Remembering this thread, I thought "huh..... I'll just line them up with the valve stems, and see if they move at all".

Well..... they did. Especially the rears, as one might expect, but the fronts did too.

Im never paying to have track wheels / tires balanced ever again.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by maytag; 05-31-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:00 PM   #35
Racer Boy

When did you get them mounted? If it was less than a day before the track day, maybe the lube the tire busters used wasn't dried and it allowed the tire to rotate on the rim. Although I have to say that I've had tires mounted the same day (sometimes only an hour before I was on track) and never had a problem.

How about the paint on those wheels? Were they painted with no tires on them, and the paint is on the part of the wheel that contacts the tires (but that would only be on one side)?

Just trying to come up with reasons your tires moved on the wheels.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:08 PM   #36
Who's askin'?

Mounted about 10 days ago. No paint on the bead. (I've got a pretty cool method for that, which includes a pack of playing cards, hahaha)

So im told this is, actually, quite common. Though I'd have never believed it.

I have to think it happens when they're cold, with low pressures (beggining of a session). I started my first session at 28, and the tires climbed to 40psi. So I bled them to 34. The next session they climbed back to 37, so I bled them again to 34.

Then there was lunch, and an extended delay (long story involving being recruited as an instructor for a beginner). The ambient temp dropped, and I was parked in the garages where it was cool anyway.

So it's quite probable that the pressures were QUITE low when I went out the last session. That could be when it occurred.

I dunno. I'm grasping for a reasonable explanation too.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:44 PM   #37
Will there be cake?

Garage
this doesn't help the discussion, BUT I had a nicely modified 74 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 455 BITD (1979) and if I hopped on it, the rims would spin and this would burn up the bead and ruin my tires. it just got worse and worse.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:50 AM   #38
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
this doesn't help the discussion, BUT I had a nicely modified 74 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 455 BITD (1979) and if I hopped on it, the rims would spin and this would burn up the bead and ruin my tires. it just got worse and worse.
A common problem for off-roaders, too. We air-down (waaaay down) and then the wheel spins in the tire and destroys it. That's why God invented the Bead-lock.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:52 AM   #39
Racer Boy

New product idea for Rennline! Boxster Bead-Locks.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:28 AM   #40

Garage
Quote:
I found it hard to believe too, but I cannot think of any other reason why the chalk marks would be moving.

Improper mounting of the tire, excessive or improper lube used to mount the tire. Slick mounting surface on the wheel.