Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #1

Has anyone done front wheel bearings DIY?

I'm pretty certain my vibration issues is due to bad front bearings because I have literally replaced every other steering and suspension component and it's still there.

Has anyone done this DIY? I have a few questions:

1. How challenging is it? I've done struts, control arms, tie rods, etc.

2. I'm guessing I need the SIR kit to extract the bearing - is there any way to get it cheaper than the $390 that Pelican wants for it?

3. Is it necessary to take the carrier off the car to do this? I had a ball joint remover, but it's a cheap one from O'Reilly that I used for my coffin arms and tie rods replacement when it didn't matter if I ripped the rubber boots. Should I buy the Porsche specific one? Or is there another tool? I just replaced the control arms and tie rods, so I really don't want to rip the rubber on those.

4. Are the FAG brand bearings considered good quality?

Thanks!

speedyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #2

Yes

Fronts much easier than the back and easier than struts in my opinion.

Otc grappler puller plus harbor freight bearing press plates, much cheaper, there is a thread here somewhere.

No, should be able to do without removing the carrier or popping the ball joints. You do need the carrier to drop down a little so the strut bottom will clear the back side of the bearing to remove the stub axle and get the press tools in there, so you can remove the top bolt off the sway bar link (so the carrier will slide down the strut) and maybe loosen the inner LCA bushing so that arm will pivot down. Maybe remove the tie rod ball joint if that blocks you but that is the easy one.

I used F.A.G. for mine when i did them in early 2016, still going strong many miles and track days later.

Steve

Last edited by steved0x; 09-10-2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Edit to say "top" sway bar bolt
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #3

I've done front and rear. Fronts were easier due to not having to screw with the parking brake mechanism.

I didn't use the SIR tool but simply removed the hub and pressed out the bearing. Even if you have a shop R/R the bearing from the hub, it'll be cheaper than buying the SIR tool. Not dissing the tool...you could buy it, use it and sell it on if you want.

Remember to buy new axle nuts!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Yes

Otc grappler puller plus harbor freight bearing press plates, much cheaper, there is a thread here somewhere.

No, should be able to do without removing the carrier or popping the ball joints. You do need the carrier to drop down a little so the strut bottom will clear the back side of the bearing to remove the stub axle and get the press tools in there, so you can remove the bottom bolt off the swqy bar link and maybe loosen the inner LCA bushing so that arm will pivot down. Maybe remove the tie rod ball joint if that blocks you but that is the easy one.

I used F.A.G. for mine when i did them in early 2016, still going strong many miles and track days later.

Steve
So would this:

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6575-1-Hub-Grappler-Puller/dp/B005PL1PDA/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=mp_s_a_1_2

Plus this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075YS3MRH/ref=dp_cerb_2

Work?

Also, is the torque spec for the axle nut the same in the front as it is in the rear? 340ft/lbs?
Old 09-09-2018, 06:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
I've done front and rear. Fronts were easier due to not having to screw with the parking brake mechanism.

I didn't use the SIR tool but simply removed the hub and pressed out the bearing. Even if you have a shop R/R the bearing from the hub, it'll be cheaper than buying the SIR tool. Not dissing the tool...you could buy it, use it and sell it on if you want.

Remember to buy new axle nuts!
Is the axle nut torque the same for both? What tool did you use to press out the bearing?
Old 09-09-2018, 06:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Yes

No, should be able to do without removing the carrier or popping the ball joints. You do need the carrier to drop down a little so the strut bottom will clear the back side of the bearing to remove the stub axle and get the press tools in there, so you can remove the bottom bolt off the swqy bar link and maybe loosen the inner LCA bushing so that arm will pivot down. Maybe remove the tie rod ball joint if that blocks you but that is the easy one.

Steve
Or would this one be better - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QL1APQQ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00QL1APQQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=4b9303cf-595a-449a-b0d6-15d3b199056d&pf_rd_r=HKRRSBAGW4K0DQ1991F6&pd_rd_wg=jLE6s&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=ysGjH&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=b6a0680b-b4a1-11e8-b9b0-b9c4745829eb
Old 09-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #7

Simply asking

If anyone had experience with Federal tires, from many reviews (not by manufacturer or sellers) they are decent tires....BTY you can buy most any tire on Ebay from Michelin PAX tires to replacement RC foam tires

sorry wrong thread

Last edited by Pdwight; 09-09-2018 at 06:46 PM. Reason: posted in wrong area
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:03 AM   #8

Garage
I did my bearings with the HF tool. What Steve said above. If you have done everything else wheel bearings should be easy for you.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:57 AM   #9

Out of curiosity. What does the vibration feel like as I am trying to track down steering wheel vibration around 75-77mph and again around 88mph or so.
redciv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
I did my bearings with the HF tool. What Steve said above. If you have done everything else wheel bearings should be easy for you.
Are you referring to this tool?

https://www.harborfreight.com/front-wheel-bearing-adapters-63728.html

Did you have to use any other tools in conjunction with it?
Old 09-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by redciv1 View Post
Out of curiosity. What does the vibration feel like as I am trying to track down steering wheel vibration around 75-77mph and again around 88mph or so.
It's a very slight judder/vibration that seems to be coming from the front left. When I'm driving on rough roads, the wheel shakes more than it should. I also seem to have a bit of slop in the steering / the car kinda fights me when I turn in hard.

What is yours like? Have you replaced any suspension components?
Old 09-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti View Post
Are you referring to this tool?

https://www.harborfreight.com/front-wheel-bearing-adapters-63728.html

Did you have to use any other tools in conjunction with it?
If you use this, you still need something to pull the hub which can be a slide hammer or some folks have used lug bolts and pressed it out by pushing against the carrier, I have only seen videos of this with other cars though.

I don't know which of the Amazon kits, here is the thread but it doesn't say which kit:

https://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/72020-wheel-bearing-replacement.html
Old 09-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #13

Quote:
If you use this, you still need something to pull the hub which can be a slide hammer or some folks have used lug bolts and pressed it out by pushing against the carrier, I have only seen videos of this with other cars though.

I don't know which of the Amazon kits, here is the thread but it doesn't say which kit:

https://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/72020-wheel-bearing-replacement.html
Ok, so the OTC grappler would be used for the hub? Or would I still need a slide hammer to get the hub out?
Old 09-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #14
Top down

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Pastor T
Has anyone done front wheel bearings DIY?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2018, 10:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti View Post
Ok, so the OTC grappler would be used for the hub? Or would I still need a slide hammer to get the hub out?
Yes, the OTC grappler is for pulling the hub, the press kit is used for pulling the bearing, pressing the new bearing in, and pressing the hub back in.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Yes, the OTC grappler is for pulling the hub, the press kit is used for pulling the bearing, pressing the new bearing in, and pressing the hub back in.
Gotcha. Ok, I'm gonna go ahead and do the OTC + Amazon tools and then I'll try to make either a video or write-up DIY on the bearings since I haven't found anything excellent in that realm for our cars.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #17
Pathological Tinkerer

I used the Harbor Freight Front Wheel Bearing Kit and a bearing separator. Left the upright attached to the lower control arm, tie rod, strut. There is a youtube video of a guy using the kit to do a BMW E46 rear wheel bearing for some instruction.
P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #18

Garage
I bought one of these from Harbor Freight and it works to pull out the bearing and install the new bearing. I bought the puller, CTA Tools Bracket Assembly (3) - 8653 and made the spacer at work. got it from Auto Body Toolmart for 132.96

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjUoOeYmbPdAhWMisgKHStgDUkYABAIGgJxdQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD2tnT37JmljLn7EOYAvDCU&sig=AOD64_2cvl_phRMnRLh8NeHdNgogYWZ33g&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjN8d6YmbPdAhXqct8KHRJ5DccQ9A4IwQE&adurl=
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 09-11-2018 at 06:50 AM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
I bought one of these from Harbor Freight and it works to pull out the bearing and install the new bearing. I bought the puller, CTA Tools Bracket Assembly (3) - 8653 and made the spacer at work. got it from Auto Body Toolmart for 132.96
Freeze the new bearing before you press it in
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjUoOeYmbPdAhWMisgKHStgDUkYABAIGgJxdQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD2tnT37JmljLn7EOYAvDCU&sig=AOD64_2cvl_phRMnRLh8NeHdNgogYWZ33g&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjN8d6YmbPdAhXqct8KHRJ5DccQ9A4IwQE&adurl=
What is the spacer for?