Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2006, 05:49 AM   #1

Xenon conversion kit for 987 need recommendation

Its for high beam, my 987 already came with low beam and the headlights in the bumper.
I need something that install with no problems, when I bought the car the headlights in the bumper will be turning on and off by themselves, we had to attach a small box thing that makes the computer believe the compsumtion of the headlight is the same as the original
After this, I have had no more problems.

motoadve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:14 AM   #2

Car-makers don't use HID in high beams for a reason.

Xenon doesn't provide the blue-white color of HID lights, it acts as the igniter for other HID gases sealed in the bulb, otherwise HIDs would take a few minutes to get bright. I can't tell from the wording of your post whether your Porsche came with OEM bi-level xenons but it sounds like it didn't. If it did, you'd note that the xenon in the lights ignite and there is a slight lag while the other HID gases ignite and warm up. The lights also level for load (not for angle, another common misperception).

This time lag is what makes them impractical as high beams.

If you're looking to create the effect, you might be able to switch the high beam bulb with something that gives off a whiter or bluer light. It's an H9 bulb (12 V/65 W).

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 09-07-2006 at 09:30 AM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:50 AM   #3

You are right, it takes a bit for the light to be at its fullest.
My car came without Xenon, but the owner did put aftermarket HID for the fog lights and low beam.

The thing I notice is that if I use high beam (stock bulb) is pratically useless I can hardly see it.
Is the H9 you are recommending more powerfull than the stock bulb?
motoadve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
The lights also level for load (not for angle, another common misperception).
SD987, good info. I have a question. Do the bi-Xenons adjust aggle when the front end rises or lowers with acceleration and braking? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:49 PM   #5

Bmuss: I omitted a word there ("just"), I should have stated that the lights also level for load, not just for angle. The dynamic range adjustment considers acceleration, braking and suspension position. It also considers road speed so it knows how to interpret suspension movement. My understanding is that the ballast technology which makes this all work is the most expensive component to the setup.

Motoadve: Let me clarify my response by way of explanation to your question.

The projection halogens in the 987 use an H7 as the dipped beam and an H9 as the high beam. So the range of the H9 isn't long enough to "outshine" your replacement "xenon" bulb.

The 987 xenons use a xenon lamp. The lamp does serve as dipped and high beam. However, when you put the high beams on, or have the xenons turned off but flick the high beams (requiring immediate turn-on), what's turning on is an H11/55 W bulb mounted below the xenon lamps (in the high beam position), that serves as a long-range spotlight auxiliary beam. You can definitely see the range of the H11 over the xenon lamp in the OEM setup.

I don't know if an H9 can be replaced with an H11 (you'd probably trigger the check control as well) but I've had a 987 base with halogens and I know the high beam shines well, so if I had to take a guess I'd bet your H7 bulb isn't aimed right and is shining "higher" than the OEM xenon high beam would. If that's the case, you may be blinding motorists at times, especially since yours aren't leveling in any circumstance. Also, without washers you'll need to keep the lenses as clean as possible as dirt exacerbates xenon glare.

06 987S- Sold

05 987 5-speed - Sold

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
Old 09-07-2006, 09:29 PM   #6

I not very smart but it seems my car(which came with factory lits) has one bulb per side and the high beem is essentially just the projector bulb lifting a few degrees up...providing more illumination.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:19 AM   #7

The 986 Litronics have a Phillips HID bulb and an H7 halogen bulb that serves a similar function to the H11 in the in the 987 assembly. The Litronics also use an H6W position light.

06 987S- Sold

05 987 5-speed - Sold