View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 12:49 PM   #5
SD987

Bmuss: I omitted a word there ("just"), I should have stated that the lights also level for load, not just for angle. The dynamic range adjustment considers acceleration, braking and suspension position. It also considers road speed so it knows how to interpret suspension movement. My understanding is that the ballast technology which makes this all work is the most expensive component to the setup.

Motoadve: Let me clarify my response by way of explanation to your question.

The projection halogens in the 987 use an H7 as the dipped beam and an H9 as the high beam. So the range of the H9 isn't long enough to "outshine" your replacement "xenon" bulb.

The 987 xenons use a xenon lamp. The lamp does serve as dipped and high beam. However, when you put the high beams on, or have the xenons turned off but flick the high beams (requiring immediate turn-on), what's turning on is an H11/55 W bulb mounted below the xenon lamps (in the high beam position), that serves as a long-range spotlight auxiliary beam. You can definitely see the range of the H11 over the xenon lamp in the OEM setup.

I don't know if an H9 can be replaced with an H11 (you'd probably trigger the check control as well) but I've had a 987 base with halogens and I know the high beam shines well, so if I had to take a guess I'd bet your H7 bulb isn't aimed right and is shining "higher" than the OEM xenon high beam would. If that's the case, you may be blinding motorists at times, especially since yours aren't leveling in any circumstance. Also, without washers you'll need to keep the lenses as clean as possible as dirt exacerbates xenon glare.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote