Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2018, 01:02 PM   #1

Garage
I'm at a cancer crossroad.

I'm reaching a point that tares me up. A 2015 diagnosis of stage 4 Prostate Cancer has progressed to Hormone Resistant Metastatic Prostate Cancer. I've had pretty much every known treatment started with Chemo Therapy, 30 cycles of radiation, a imunnotherapy called Provenge, and currently on Multiple drugs Xtandi Xgeva and Lupron. These are giving me allot of side effect tiredness, nausea bone aches and more. I've only been able to do 2 De's this year and have not driven the car that much more on the street this year than taking it to the dealer for inspections . I'm trying to make up my mind weather to sell the car because we could use the money or hold onto this trackable street legal monster. In the end it would be heartbreaking to sell the car not to mention that I would loose my shirt in doing so.

I'm open to comments.

For those new to the sight this is a heavily modified 2003 Boxster non S 5 speed Intake modified motor replaced with a 3.6 LN block and lightened components. Suspension work and exhaust work, Big front brakes. Oil system mods including sump external filter and oil cooler and 997 oil water cooler. Recaro seats and 5 point harness replaced last year. Electric Power steering pump kit and replacement pulley kit.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #2
WALDMEISTER

Garage
I keep my fingers crossed for you.

When I wasn't able to drive, walk or even sit anymore last year...the most simple things became my goals to achieve. I was fighting my way back to life in a rehab center for months...and then I needed bigger goals...my Boxster was one of them. I would not let it go anymore.

I was determined and I was lucky to come back.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

I'm sorry to hear about your fight with cancer but glad that you're still here with us to recount the story.

At the end of the day, only you can decide whether it would be best to keep or sell your car due to financial or other personal reasons.

But since you asked, I'll say that I think that you love that car - it is uniquely awesome and I doubt that you're really ready to let it go. So I'd say keep it. Drive it when you can and continue to revel in the pride of ownership.

And never forget, that all of us here are cheering you on every step of the way.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:14 PM   #4

Keep the car - we all wanna see you get better and get back into that monster for many more rides.

But unless you need the money - focus on you, forget the car for now. Just think of the hassle - small potatoes compared to your health.

Best of luck and I wish you all the strength in the world brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #5
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Stay strong and I vote to keep it as long as it brings you joy.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:25 PM   #6

Garage
I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I don’t have any advice on selling or keeping the car. I have the Boxster and a well built Off Road Jeep. Both bring me joy, even just sitting in the garage and hanging out with my buddies, I like to look at it.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:00 PM   #7

I'm sorry to hear of your battle...I hope you continue to hang tough.

As others have mentioned, only you know what is best for you. What will make you feel better at the end of the day? Cash to pay expenses is huge, but so is the carrot hanging out there urging you to continue to fight this thing.

Concentrate on you. Whatever you decide will be the right decision.

You'll be in our prayers.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:01 PM   #8

Best wishes with whatever you decide.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:37 PM   #9

Best wishes. I was so hoping the title of your thread dealt with a rusty Boxster.

If you can financially keep it, do so, as it can bring you joy and you need every little bit you can get. Enjoy each and every day the best you can.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:10 PM   #10

Garage
Hopes and Prayers are with you. God is good all the time. All the time God is good.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:12 PM   #11

My thoughts and best wishes are with you. You should do what your spirit tells you.....I think that might mean holding on to the monster. If you are so inclined it would great for all of us hear about all your modifications in detail.....I know I can't get enough of your knowledge and experiences.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:46 PM   #12

Sorry to hear of your struggle, and kudo’s for the fight. If keeping the car creates a financial struggle, sell it, as it simply becomes a stressor to keep it, and more added stress is something your body doesn’t need. However, if keeping it is not a financial issue, then as others have mentioned, it can become a positive to help continue to motivate you to fight. At the end of the day, the fight you have is real, and keeping ahold on anything positive is going to help.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:44 PM   #13
Who's askin'?

I did not want to click on this link. I could tell what it was, and what sort of posts are following; what more could I possibly add?

Yet in the reading, I find I cannot "unclick" as it were, and move on, without also offering what little i can in the way of encouragement in the fight, and empathy for the struggle.

"Cancer sucks". It's the most obviously understated way I've ever heard it described. But so true. Any of us who've felt the personal impact of the C in our lives understands that you must reach a certain level of acceptance before you can fight it. I'm so sorry that you've had to do this, because I know it's difficult.

Another commenter said: God is good. I'd say the same thing differently: i believe that God knows each of us, personally, and can see what we cannot. Somewhere he has as plan. He must. Or none of the rest of this makes any sense.

I'll add you to my prayers.

And at this point, who cares about the car?
I mean, I know you do: but anyone else looking at you as an individual could not have a second thought to the car.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:31 AM   #14

Garage
My prayers are for you. I am lucky to be a prostate cancer survivor. Keep fighting! Each year I keep running into stumbling blocks that keep me out of the seat of my 986. Recovering from open heart surgery at the moment and I know how much you want to get behind the wheel.

Keep the car! Make it your next goal in your fight!
Old 08-26-2018, 08:27 AM   #15

That was brave of you to post this on here, not an easy thing to do.

I bought my Boxster as soon as I was recovered enough from 3 types of chemo and surgery for pcA.

It's been the best anti depressant that I have found.

I have wanted to sell it and "be more practical"

Sure, it's a PITA sometimes, you can't walk in to the store and buy parts like any "normal" car (even in a city like LA), it often feels like more trouble than it's worth, etc.

(We all know that end of the story well, that's why this forum exists)

But driving it brings that "X" factor back almost every time.

Put the top down, head down PCH, and somehow cancer, finances, Trump, etc. all get put into perspective pretty quickly.

My.02 is don't sell it unless you have to (a different story)

PCa treatments are getting better all the time.

There are clinical trials to look in to.

No one knows what's going to happen, not even the doctors.

Statistics don't mean much when it comes down to an individual level.

They are just numbers on a page.

If the thought of being able to drive it again gets you through another day, hour, week, or whatever, you can't put a price on that.

Just knowing that it's waiting there for you when you are better might pull you through some of the darker times.

There are no words to explain what a pcA DX does to a person.

Only those who have faced this thing can really understand it's impact on all aspects of life.

Keep the car and keep your spirits up, it's important.

Just my .02 from one who understands how you feel about this.
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #16

Garage
Cancer Boxster

I too have recently been diagnosed. Trying to go the natural route. Anything better than chemo!!!!! Enjoy your Boxster we have too few joys in life. I can't imagine selling my Box. When I can no longer drive it. It will be time to check out...
Hang in there and keep positive.
Sweet 2000S speed yellow 65k
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #17

Been there, chose radiation. PSA at zero now for 7+ years. I regularly play at golf with someone who has a more complex case like you. Every cancer is slightly different. If selling makes you able to get a second opinion from a place that specializes in prostate cancer, then sell. You are more important.

God speed.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #18

Had mine removed.No chemo, no radiation. Been 5yrs, no side effects. All's good. Lucky👌😀
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:32 PM   #19

Garage
Thank you everyone for your well wishes. I really appreciate the comments from those of you who also are cancer victims/survivors.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:06 PM   #20

I am a survivor too, was laid out most of 2010 with non-Hodgkin lymphoma. That was a sucky year, that started back in 2009 when I got separated (divorce was final in 2011). Then I got the Boxster in 2012. Had a scare earlier this year but was benign. If it comes back, I don't know what I will do. I don't have any car advice but I offer my support. I have enjoyed our chats about tracking and the car, and watching your videos and I hope you can keep it and drive more next year. We're all pulling for you.

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote