Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2018, 04:48 PM   #1

Garage
turn signal and hazards not working

I have a 2002 base. The right blinker wasn't working (I think it was due to a loose bulb) and while I was tracking that problem down the left side quit working. The hazards still worked on the left side and both rear and then all blinkers and hazards quit working.

I checked the fuse (good). Tried a different turn signal/hazard relay (no difference). I pulled the hazard switch and replaced that (no difference). Pulled the headlights out and cleaned the contacts (no difference). Even tried another set of headlights from my 2000 S (no difference).

I pulled the turn signal/windshield wiper/cruise stalk and replaced that (no difference).

I am now at a dead end as far as ideas.

Anyone have any suggestions?

dlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
When using the stalk or hazards, do any of the lights illuminate without blinking, or are all the lights dead?
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
When using the stalk or hazards, do any of the lights illuminate without blinking, or are all the lights dead?
The hazards and turn signals are all dead. The low and high beams work fine.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:00 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
If it were mine, the first step would be to pull the relay and bench test it to ensure its working, even if you swapped it out and are sure it's good.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:31 PM   #5

Garage
I tried the relay on my other 986 and it worked but I'll double check it.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:22 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
As long as you know for sure that it works, move on to power testing. Trace power from the fuse box to the stalk, from the stalk to the hazard switch, and from the hazard switch to the relay to find where the power stops.

Do you have the wiring diagram to assist with that?
Old 08-20-2018, 05:55 AM   #7

Garage
I have the Bentley diagrams. The 2001 diagram in the book is hopefully accurate for 2002.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:06 AM   #8

Make sure you have the hazard switch plugged in correctly. On my '98 it can fit in more than one orientation, and it kills other lights when in wrong.
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #9

Garage
Found the problem and hazards and turns "working" again. Turns out that I still have a problem with one headlight. The wiring is in terrible shape inside the casing and it intermittently shorts out and then blows the fuse(s). So my plan is to replace the wiring. Anyone rewired a headlight? Some of the wires, particularly that run to the turn signals, are not easy to access. May have to get creative.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I've rewired them, but always take them apart to do so.

The turn and fog light wires are zip tied together, so you could cut them near the headlight connector, then use the fog light wires to pull them through the fog light bulb access hole. Cut the wires there, leaving enough turn signal wire to work with, and just slide heat shrink tubing down the remaining turn signal wire and replace the rest.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:37 PM   #11

Garage
Great tip. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2021, 08:57 AM   #12

I have the same issue

DLUD, what was the solution to getting your turn signals and hazards working again? My car was hit while parked and the left front was wiped out. I’ve replaced the litronic headlamp with a used one, the front left side wiring harness with a new one and replaced my turn/hazard relay with a new one and still have no turn signals or hazards. Everything was working before the car was hit.
mforester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:29 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mforester View Post
DLUD, what was the solution to getting your turn signals and hazards working again? My car was hit while parked and the left front was wiped out. I’ve replaced the litronic headlamp with a used one, the front left side wiring harness with a new one and replaced my turn/hazard relay with a new one and still have no turn signals or hazards. Everything was working before the car was hit.
See the response I posted earlier. It was a problem with the wiring in one of the headlights. I had to rewrite the wiring inside of the sealed headlight case.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlud View Post
Found the problem and hazards and turns "working" again. Turns out that I still have a problem with one headlight. The wiring is in terrible shape inside the casing and it intermittently shorts out and then blows the fuse(s). So my plan is to replace the wiring. Anyone rewired a headlight? Some of the wires, particularly that run to the turn signals, are not easy to access. May have to get creative.
Sorry I’m confused because you stated earlier that you had tried another set of headlights and it still wasn’t working but the issue turned out to be a wiring problem in the original set of headlights. I wonder if this used headlight I have could be the issue. Any clues as to which connection(s) could be causing all the turn signals and hazards not to work?
mforester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 05:48 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mforester View Post
Sorry I’m confused because you stated earlier that you had tried another set of headlights and it still wasn’t working but the issue turned out to be a wiring problem in the original set of headlights. I wonder if this used headlight I have could be the issue. Any clues as to which connection(s) could be causing all the turn signals and hazards not to work?
Sorry for the confusion. I can't answer as I don't recall switching out the headlights. Bad memory--four cars ago! I can say that the car I had a problem with had one headlight that was apparently older than the other. The internal wiring was brittle/cracked and had shorted out in a location that couldn't be readily seen.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Hey particlewave,

My blinkers are illuminating but not blinking. What's the solution for this? Thanks!

djw8282 is offline   Reply With Quote